Home

New Look: Player Tendencies

This is a discussion on New Look: Player Tendencies within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
New Look: Player Tendencies

(Note: yes, I know we can't edit players. Y'all think I don't know that? I'm already speculating for what could be.)

NBA 2k hit gold with their inception of player tendencies. This category allows editors to better represent how players play, the perfect thing for the NHL series. Want to make sure Chris Kreider drives the net a lot? Do it! Want to make sure Shea Weber shoots more from the point than other defensemen? Do that too.

It's a fairly simple concept, nothing groundbreaking. It simply has to be effective in-game, and if that part is there, the accuracy and realism will be edited in as well. This lifts the burden from developers' shoulders in that they don't have to program in for every specific player and can base the tendencies of the player type, if they so choose. We know this stuff is programmable because the game saw Custom AI, which was basically team tendencies.

You know I like to try to add a dynamic angle to this type of stuff. So here it is.

Allow me some insanity here. This is an incredibly far-fetched idea—just roll with the punches for a bit—and if anyone has a more realistic idea, please share. The idea is that the tendency screen in Be A GM mode reflects how a player is playing. Generally, you want your player to stay within his play style and tendency range. The above picture shows a player that has started to play in a different style than usual. The red marker on the top line means the player is playing out of his comfort zone for that tendency, while the green on the marker shows that he is playing still within his comfort zone.

I said we'd get crazy, and now we will. Pre-game coaching assignments. Imagine if, in the pre-game menu, you could go and tell your players how you wanted them to play that game? That would be incredible. The black markers in the picture above are the coach goals for that game (click RS and move the RS stick to assign). If you were playing a team with a weak goalie, you could tell players to shoot more. If you were playing a team with strong defenders, you could tell your players to stay wide. The possibilities are endless. It would be hard to program, but I would kill for a feature like this.

Thanks for reading. Crazy stuff. Let me know your thoughts and critiques.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: New Look: Player Tendencies

Yeah, I've been dying for this to be implemented for years. Do you remember during the lead up to either 13 or 14 they talked about having traits like puck rushing dman but then they were never visible in the game and didn't seem to have any effect? It needs to happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »