Home

NHL 16 Available Today For Xbox One & PlayStation 4, Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Available Today For Xbox One & PlayStation 4, Post Your Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #25
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: NHL 16 Available Today For Xbox One & PlayStation 4, Post Your Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I've played 3 games so far (2 play now and one online vs)

It's a very good game. Is it a true to life hockey simulation? No. Don't buy the game if that's your only expectation.

Is it a fun game that most hockey fans will enjoy? Yes. I'm glad I bought it.

Gonna start tweaking a little more with the sliders and strategies before jumping into my GM mode, but I am liking a lot of what I'm seeing.
Pretty much how I view the NHL series. My fun is somewhat dependent upon a sim experience, but usually, sliders are enough to get me where I'm satisfied.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #26
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencerm
Can anyone tell me if create a team is in the game? I don't care about how many options there are, etc. I'm just curious if it's an option.
It doesn't look like it is. In the Creation Zone, you can only create players. Which is a bummer for me, because I usually made an NCAA alumni team every year.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 09-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
It doesn't look like it is. In the Creation Zone, you can only create players. Which is a bummer for me, because I usually made an NCAA alumni team every year.
Bummer. I guess I'll be waiting for 2017, or at least a price drop.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #28
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
In most of the video clips im seeing, correct me if i am wrong, but I dont see CPU/AI dumping the puck. Do they dump the puck or just waiting to cross the zone? Thanks.

In my experience so far, it's a mixed bag. I've seen them wait around in the neutral zone with it to try and carry in, or just simply carry it in, I think I can count the number of dump in's I've seen them do on one hand in 8 games of play.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #29
MVP

mjavon's Arena

Only played two games last night (all-star, hardcore default with 7 minute periods). I was pleasantly surprised!

AI generally seems far less dimwitted and predictable than in last year's debacle. They seem to actually defend passes to the crease and they don't just stand there when a loose puck is nearby anymore. The new puck pickups is a huge improvement and players will reach out and grab a nearby puck when it's in their range.

Your AI teammates seem to not get caught offside so much, and same with the opposition.

It still feels too easy to gain the OZ, and play at neutral ice, while better, seems like it could use work.

From the games I played, it seemed like there were more inaccurate passes/shots and more loose pucks in general. Board play is not triggered enough, but when you do trigger it with triangle or Y it looks a hell of a lot smoother than in 15 and is certainly more effective.

Again, this impression is based on two games, but: this is a solid hockey game. It's not perfect, but this is the game we should have gotten last year.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #30
Rookie

tjung0831's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
In most of the video clips im seeing, correct me if i am wrong, but I dont see CPU/AI dumping the puck. Do they dump the puck or just waiting to cross the zone? Thanks.
Here is the CPU dumping the puck in right after crossing the blue line.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #31
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

The CPU's AI is a nice upgrade, there's no doubt about that to me. They play much more positionally sound, and with the toned down hitting, things just seem a lot more "real". Board play though is still a bit of a mess.

Now, as for your AI team mates. It's like they don't even the slightest bit of intelligence programmed into them. They don't tie up opposing players in front of the net, they don't have the same super powers the CPU players seem to, they are just generally slow.

If they could make my AI team mates, play similar to the CPU's AI on defense, I'd be so much happier with this game. It's fun, right up until the CPU players abuse your AI teammates like they're playing a high school hockey team, instead of NHL pro's.

The morale system in BAGM mode is confusing to me. I'm going to have to do some reading. Since the EA Access trial, I played all my preseason games, and two regular season games. An 8-5 win over Toronto, and a close, hard fought (except for the CPU magically manhandling my AI mates for 2 cheap onetime goals in the slot(as usual)) game that I won 3-2, after trailing 2-1. However, after going 5-2 in the preseason, I had a team meeting, and selected the option that sounded the most motivating. Something along the lines of ok guys, stick to the system we've worked hard on in the offseason, and lets get the season off to a good start with a win tonight. About 12 of my guys had a Morale drop, and 3 had a boost. I'm not sure why a confidence boosting statement would drop morale, but I need to do some reading to understand the system more maybe.

But, please, please, pretty please EA give my AI controlled team mates a brain and the ability to defend like the CPU AI players, and eliminate the ridiculous cross ice rocket kick passes from the boards, and eliminate the ridiculous quick/accurate passes from odd positions by the CPU on offense so things don't feel so cheap and cheated when they score, and this game is pretty damn impressive compared to last year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #32
Rookie

tjung0831's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
ugh. that 4th dallas goal is the typical ea crap goal.
Only one i've seen like that in about 7 games played and that can be fixed via sliders and by me playing better. It's a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »