Home

Help out an NHL newbie.

This is a discussion on Help out an NHL newbie. within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Help out an NHL newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Don't chase the puck. You'll pull more players out of position doing that; stick with one guy and play positional defense.

For face-offs, mix up your strategy. If you're going dominant-hand down each time, your opponent (HUM or ĮPU) will pick up on that.

For skating, it's likely due to your inexperience with the game. Once you get a feel for the skating physics, you'll have a better understanding of how guys move, accelerate, decelerate.

Glad you're enjoying the game!
That strategy has been very helpful for me lately. My defense has improved quite a bit.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Not sure how you play, but here's some basic tips I give to everyone who just started playing NHL 16.

Don't be afraid to play slow/defensive. Almost everyone turns the game into a track meet. While this strategy is great in past years, you can catch people off guard by slowing down a little bit.

You don't have to get a shot everytime you get in the zone, but if you have a lane, take it. There's no harm in shooting the puck into the zone and going to get it (dump and chase). A lot of times other players/AI try to be too fancy. You can get good scoring chances off of turnovers. If you don't see anything, don't force it.

Don't work harder than you have to. Let the AI do some things. The AI is programmed for each position to play only their position. On defense, your LD is going to get lost if he tries to play LW. Don't take your player out of position.

And finally. Don't be afraid to pass to space. If you see a spot in the offensive side of the ice, pass or shoot the puck there. It gets the defense moving and the more they move, they more likely they are to get out of position.

Bonus tip: RB (R1) is your friend. Saucer passes work really nice on breakout passes up the boards and if you don't hold it down too long, you can spring a forward with a flip dump. Learn how to aim saucer passes and you will pull off some really nice plays.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
MVP

Hoos's Arena

OVR: 21

Hey Pappy, I recently picked up the game as well. We can play some online games if you want, sounds like we are both experiencing the same growing pains, our qames would be epic lol

Just shoot me a message when you see me online if you want to play a game or two.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S

PSN: hoos4974
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »