Home

NHL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #673
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 17 Impressions

Another frustrating thing I just discovered. After moving the Hurricanes to Milwaukee, in our 2nd game of the season, and first game in our new arena, in a new city...literally nothing is mentioned by the game.

They comment on the "Rangers win streak" which was 1 game, the only one they had played.

It's these little things that make it seem like some ideas were more of an afterthought. Sure, you can move your team, but you're stuck with pretty basic jersey creation. You can customize a ton of details about your arena which is nice...but you can't import your own logos, and the potential team names are a very short list when you toss out the goofy names like the "Deke and Destroys" or "Fear the Beards".

Most obnoxious still is that there's no realignment in the game. You could move your team from Carolina to Portland, and the game will still keep you in the East. Hopefully your guys are ready to cash in on those airline miles.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #674
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

As far the pre-game commentary, I think the patch screwed that up. I'm not sure how but before the last patch I would get a variety of opening dialogues. I would get talk about an individual player, the team, or on Halloween they even said happy Halloween and Christmas time they mentioned that. Post patch I only get 2 openings and I've played at least 20 games. Now it's either my teams last few games or the opponents past few games. I played on New Years Day and nothing mentioned like the other Holidays. Not sure how a patch can do that and as dumb as it sounds it really detracts from the game as every season game seems the same now.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #675
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

I was online a scred this goal smh

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #676
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I was online a scred this goal smh

In fairness, those types of things do happen on rare occasion in real life.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #677
All Star

Stormyhog's Arena

OVR: 15

One of the things I really hate with this game is the sticks going trough the limbs & bodies of players. The game is in dire need of a new engine which NHL 18 won't be having for some reason. Also the AI is god awful.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #678
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
One of the things I really hate with this game is the sticks going trough the limbs & bodies of players. The game is in dire need of a new engine which NHL 18 won't be having for some reason. Also the AI is god awful.
I think the biggest issue with sticks in general is that you don't have the fine control over your player's direction they face (I can't count the number of times I've gone offsides because my guy spins, or reaches back past the line for the puck for no reason). The sticks too aren't very finely controlled. You're either deking, or holding the puck out wide. The game lacks a lot of the fine controls that make hockey so random and fun.

Defense has been my personal frustration. I can't do so many of the simple things that real players can, which means defense is just annoying half the time. I get the puck and try to go one way, so my player spins and barely moves, before dragging the puck into another player's skates, and losing it, thus turning it over. I can't physically slow down players while skating, and a poke check is some uncontrollable stabbing of my stick towards the puck, that's just as likely to hit skates as it is the puck. The game doesn't reward good positioning and defensive play. Which says nothing about the AI constantly losing coverage and getting in the way.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #679
Pro

OVR: 0

1 human players( not controlled by me) skating away from the puck when defending

2 The amount of second pucks ( deflections,loose pucks) going to the CPU is way to high

3 human controlled ai is horrible,players skating in front of you all the time.

I could list a hundred other little things annoying me with this game.
I played a few games on my NHL 15,the game everyone think is the worst,game play and ai is so much better than 17.

Xbox :ettnollbajen
Old 03-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #680
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I wish they would also focus on goals like the one through the goalies jersey and out his back into the goal. When has a puck ever gone up through a goalies jersey, then up and out of his back and into the goal?

Really frustrating as well as the goals through the goalies pads when they are laying on the ice. Their collision detection needs major work and it's been this way for far too long.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »