Home

The NHL17 Goalie Tips Thread

This is a discussion on The NHL17 Goalie Tips Thread within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 PM   #33
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The NHL17 Goalie Tips Thread

These are tips for the new goalie tuner which is giving goalies trouble. I'll post this in the main post as well. There's so much information here that I created a separate thread for it as well with a full article to go along with the video.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2048680622
Old 03-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #34
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

Almost at 6000 views for this thread thank you so much!

Here's the next video where I test out a popular theory in the goalie community.

I created a link to a separate thread but if won't let me edit it. If a mod could help that would be greatly appreciated - http://www.operationsports.com/forum...prise-you.html

After talking with a lot of goalies in the community regarding goalie classes. A phrase that came up a lot was that Stand-up "feels' the fastest. Butterfly 'feels' like you're skating in mud, etc.

I had similar thoughts and looking back at my NHL15 Goalie Build videos wondered by I said these things without testing them!

Therefore I decided to test out the movement speeds of the goalies. My goal was to see which class is the fastest and by how much so we'd have as much accurate information as possible regarding goalie classes.

I compared the 3 classes horizontal speed, vertical speed, and butterfly speed (movements used in a game) in the crease and the results were very surprising. To lessen the amount of human error I ran these tests multiple times. In the end, all 3 classes moved at the same speed.

All 3 goalie classes have different speed/agility/acceleration attributes (I'm not arguing that) but the point is the differences don't appear to be enough if they still move at the same speed in game. I am NOT saying the 3 classes are the same, just that they move the same as its one of the few attributes we can accurately measure w/ enough controls and few variables.

This leads to an interesting question on how the goalie classes should differentiate. Should there even be a speed difference and it should only be reflexes that are different? If speed should be a different then the gap in the attributes or the tuner needs to do a better job reflecting that as speed is one of the few goalie aspects we can test and measure accurately by limiting as many variables as possible.

I'm curious to know what you guys think not only about the results but your opinion on how you would like to see the classes differ.

P.S. I'm not an EA *****. There's never any intention of 'proving EA wrong'. I like to take goalie myths throughout the community and test them to see if they're actually true. Back in old gen, there was a rumor that blamed EA for height capping goalies in EASHL. This meant that if you were a goalie over a particular height (6'5" or higher for example), in the game you would be shrunk down to a max height of 6'5". I tested this one out and the results defended EA and the rumors were false. > https://youtu.be/C-7ZBNfYa60
Old 04-12-2017, 05:20 AM   #35
Just started!

Hi,

I'm a new member so can't make a thread yet.
I apologize if this isn't the proper topic.

I've played NHL since the 93 one (EA, old school) and been playing as a goalie since 1996-2006.
However, this was all on PC. I know, I know, that probably doesn't count that much, but hey, better that than nothing, right? :P

Now, I fairly recently got a PS4 (finally, woot xD) and bought NHL17.

Been playing Be a Pro for a week or so and having a blast.

So my question was:

How good should I be before I even think of trying to play online?
I'm talking goalie only, ofc.

Should I forget online play before being able to hold my own at All Star difficulty?

I pretty much know nothing of online play
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #36
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaar
Hi,

I'm a new member so can't make a thread yet.
I apologize if this isn't the proper topic.

I've played NHL since the 93 one (EA, old school) and been playing as a goalie since 1996-2006.
However, this was all on PC. I know, I know, that probably doesn't count that much, but hey, better that than nothing, right? :P

Now, I fairly recently got a PS4 (finally, woot xD) and bought NHL17.

Been playing Be a Pro for a week or so and having a blast.

So my question was:

How good should I be before I even think of trying to play online?
I'm talking goalie only, ofc.

Should I forget online play before being able to hold my own at All Star difficulty?

I pretty much know nothing of online play
I think its best to learn while playing online because you'll see a wider variety of plays and shots where BaP is more predictable.

This is exactly what drop-ins are for but keep this in mind.

- You will get yelled at by skaters (ignore them)
- Your defense will be bad most of the time

Just focus on making reads and staying in position. You will be bad at first then get better and better each game as you start to pick up on how to read certain situations. And when you start playing really well in drop-ins where there is bad defense, imagine how much better you'll be if you find a club that knows what they're doing.

I learned by playing drop-in games for over a year before being introduced to competitive 6s.

I'm hoping these videos are able to help you. I started an Advanced Goalie Tips thread as well. I know I'm not a big channel but as a top G is EASHL I've spent almost 3 years making tip vids for the goalie community to help people who are interested in goalie just like you

Last edited by jmoney2436; 04-12-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:54 AM   #37
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney2436
I think its best to learn while playing online because you'll see a wider variety of plays and shots where BaP is more predictable.

This is exactly what drop-ins are for but keep this in mind.

- You will get yelled at by skaters (ignore them)
- Your defense will be bad most of the time

Just focus on making reads and staying in position. You will be bad at first then get better and better each game as you start to pick up on how to read certain situations. And when you start playing really well in drop-ins where there is bad defense, imagine how much better you'll be if you find a club that knows what they're doing.

I learned by playing drop-in games for over a year before being introduced to competitive 6s.

I'm hoping these videos are able to help you. I started an Advanced Goalie Tips thread as well. I know I'm not a big channel but as a top G is EASHL I've spent almost 3 years making tip vids for the goalie community to help people who are interested in goalie just like you

Hi, thnx for the detailed answer!

By "drop-ins" you're talking about random, non-ranked matches? (sorry, english aint my native xD)

You're not the first guy to tell me about player yelling, lol. Think I might make a party before so I can't hear anyone, if that's the case (if that works for NHL too xD)

Oh, I'm expecting to be bad, no doubt about that lol.
I guess I'll jump into few games to get the feel for it. I can see how I'd learn more by playing against real players.

I already watched some of the movies and they are great.

Oh, I have a question too:

Opponent on the attack, coming from one of the sides. We're slightly on that side of the goal.
When they pass al the way to the other side (let's say near the blue line), do you ever use L1 to quickly get to the other side?

Is it wise to use that? I feel like it's useful, but should learn to gauge the distance covered by that.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #38
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

Quote:
Hi, thnx for the detailed answer!

By "drop-ins" you're talking about random, non-ranked matches? (sorry, english aint my native xD)

You're not the first guy to tell me about player yelling, lol. Think I might make a party before so I can't hear anyone, if that's the case (if that works for NHL too xD)

Oh, I'm expecting to be bad, no doubt about that lol.
I guess I'll jump into few to get the feel for it. I can see how I'd learn more by playing against real players.

I already watched some of the movies and they are great.

Oh, I have a question too:

Opponent on the attack, coming from one of the sides. We're slightly on that side of the goal.
When they pass al the way to the other side (let's say near the blue line), do you ever use L1 to quickly get to the other side?

Is it wise to use that? I feel like it's useful, but should learn to gauge the distance covered by that.
Yes by drop-ins its where you play with randoms (a public game).

To answer your question, if by L1 you mean the T-push.... DONT EVER USE IT TO MAKE SAVES

The only time I use the T-push is if I get knocked well out of the crease and need to get back in the play.

EA has tried to 2 years to make this a useful move but it serves no purpose in making saves. Your goalie turns his body away from the puck and misses easy saves. When moving to make saves most of the time it should be the LS (RS for emergencies).
Old 04-14-2017, 01:43 AM   #39
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney2436
Yes by drop-ins its where you play with randoms (a public game).

To answer your question, if by L1 you mean the T-push.... DONT EVER USE IT TO MAKE SAVES

The only time I use the T-push is if I get knocked well out of the crease and need to get back in the play.

EA has tried to 2 years to make this a useful move but it serves no purpose in making saves. Your goalie turns his body away from the puck and misses easy saves. When moving to make saves most of the time it should be the LS (RS for emergencies).

Yeah, wasn't thinking of using it for saves, just maybe using it when they pass to the other side of the ice, but closer to the blue line in situation where they don't shoot.
AI usually attacks on one side and sometimes they pass to the other side as soon as they pass the blue line, so felt L1 could help with moving faster to the side in those particular situations.

I'll test it a bit for sure, though pretty sure that and the situation you mentioned are the only ones to use it.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #40
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

Quote:
Yeah, wasn't thinking of using it for saves, just maybe using it when they pass to the other side of the ice, but closer to the blue line in situation where they don't shoot.
AI usually attacks on one side and sometimes they pass to the other side as soon as they pass the blue line, so felt L1 could help with moving faster to the side in those particular situations.

I'll test it a bit for sure, though pretty sure that and the situation you mentioned are the only ones to use it.
The LS will be plenty. The LS should be use for 90%+ of your moves in the crease. Controlled movements will result in better save animations unless you really need a desperate move.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »