Home

NHL 18 Wishlist: Features We'd Like To See

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Wishlist: Features We'd Like To See within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2017, 04:22 AM   #33
Rookie

Northernwolf's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 18 Wishlist: Features We'd Like To See

1) More variation between Be A Pro and Franchise. Also: More variation between playing as a goalie and a skater in be a pro. Let us create our own Coach.

2) A more fully fleshed out create a team in franchise (take a look at Expansion team in NBA 2k17). More freedom in picking logos. Colours that are stronger, not faded versions.

3) Better AI in general. More team play on the ice in franchise mode. Better defence, more trustworthy.

4) Fix Player Goalies! This is an ongoing gripe. Goalies get the short end every year when you play as one. Make sure that when you play as a goalie the controller responds quicker. I love playing as a goalie, but it feels very sluggish when I try to get the goalie to do anything to stop the puck. Also stop with the cheese goals. The AI constantly shoots puck into the goal behind the goal line and from the blue line (very far distance or from a very akward angle).

5) Custom goalie masks!!!

6) Simpler presentation and stronger content. Make a radio show, somthing akin to the old Madden on PS2 had. I kid you not..

7) Better commentaries. I have a hard time dealing with our new couple. Maybe I liked the ones we had at the 360/PS3 a bit better. More variation on lines. Build an in-house commentary team already EA.

8) Differences in team strategies. I want there to be teams that test me with good defences that try to grind out a win, while other teams use counter-plays to score quickly or go on full offense when you dont expect it. Right now all teams feel exactly the same

9) Player ratings need to be diversified. Start using all of the 0 - 100 scale. Dont make every NHL-player a mid 80 to a 100 it makes thing too generic.

10) More stadium immersion. I want to hear chants and more team specific audio. Even for created teams. It should be in the game.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #34
Rookie

ChubbyD's Arena

OVR: 1

Most important:
Roster sharing. Without it, I don't buy the game (which may be a testament to '17, which is proving great fun)

Very important:
Home team changes last. Obviously this is an offline thing only, but for the love of God bring it back. I use auto change right now because there's no point in matching up if I don't know what the away team is doing.

Preset plays. The AI isn't getting better, especially on breakouts. I don't know how many turnovers are caused because my winger leaves the boards and goes to the middle of the ice for some stupid reason, giving my defenseman nobody to pass to. Also the off-side d-man not being behind the net as another outlet makes no sense. At least allow me to draw up some preset plays to follow.

Player turns. Turn players away from near opponents. Please. Again, more turnovers are caused because they do that little spinny thing and grab it while skating backwards and toward the opponent, who always steals the puck clean and has a clear path to the net now because I'm skating the wrong way. Also on the offensive blue line, turn away from the blue line. Turning from 12:00 to 9:00 should not include 6:00 which takes the puck out of the zone causing an offiside.

Nice to have:
Custom sounds. There's nothing like going into Chicago and hearing that godawful organ music. Makes my skin crawl. But that's good. It's supposed to.
30-team control in franchise mode. Works fantastic in The Show.
Custom leagues. Custom schedules. Custom rosters. All of the customs!

TWITCH FEED: ShotgunFarmer
Old 04-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #35
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyD
Most important:
Roster sharing. Without it, I don't buy the game (which may be a testament to '17, which is proving great fun)

Very important:
Home team changes last. Obviously this is an offline thing only, but for the love of God bring it back. I use auto change right now because there's no point in matching up if I don't know what the away team is doing.

Preset plays. The AI isn't getting better, especially on breakouts. I don't know how many turnovers are caused because my winger leaves the boards and goes to the middle of the ice for some stupid reason, giving my defenseman nobody to pass to. Also the off-side d-man not being behind the net as another outlet makes no sense. At least allow me to draw up some preset plays to follow.

Player turns. Turn players away from near opponents. Please. Again, more turnovers are caused because they do that little spinny thing and grab it while skating backwards and toward the opponent, who always steals the puck clean and has a clear path to the net now because I'm skating the wrong way. Also on the offensive blue line, turn away from the blue line. Turning from 12:00 to 9:00 should not include 6:00 which takes the puck out of the zone causing an offiside.

Nice to have:
Custom sounds. There's nothing like going into Chicago and hearing that godawful organ music. Makes my skin crawl. But that's good. It's supposed to.
30-team control in franchise mode. Works fantastic in The Show.
Custom leagues. Custom schedules. Custom rosters. All of the customs!
I would love to have the play creator back, but aside from that, better AI is a must. The things you mention are exactly why I have played NHL 17 6 times in the past week, but only completed two games. It's incredibly frustrating to struggle in the game, not because you're playing a good team, or you're playing poorly, but because you just can't control your players. AI players bunch up, run into each other, don't grab pucks passed to them. The pivoting with the puck is incredibly frustrating. It's like I'm playing in my novice league when I play the game. Forwards making no effort to get open, D-partners just standing still under coverage, leaving me to try and skate my way through 4 defending players in our own zone. The AI just doesn't move in any way that resembles real hockey. I can't count the number of times I've scored on my own goal, or lost the puck into my own goalie because I got the puck back to a defender and he just skated with the puck wide and into the goalie's pads.

So many times I have turnovers from the issues you mentioned, where your players just pivot into the opposing player's feet or stick. Same issue getting loose pucks near your goalie, and somehow it's still a problem near the blue line, though they've definitely fixed it a bit. But, good luck doing what NHL defenders do when they move laterally across the blue line while keeping the puck in. Also, so many frustrating times where my guys back completely out of the zone to get a puck that they could have caught standing still.

As for customization, if I can import/create my own custom jerseys, faces, and logos, I'll be in heaven.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #36
Rookie

Posednik22's Arena

@Actionhank

You seem to have lost faith in this game, lol !

I was about to give up on this game when I decided to give a shot at great sliders.... Look at my THREAD in this secition and try it while playing ''player locked'' while playing your position and not run all over the place, and you'll see a complete different game... Seems like when you are out of position too often, the AI is playing all over the place too...

I've never had a better experience playing hockey like this one...
Old 04-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #37
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posednik22
@Actionhank

You seem to have lost faith in this game, lol !

I was about to give up on this game when I decided to give a shot at great sliders.... Look at my THREAD in this secition and try it while playing ''player locked'' while playing your position and not run all over the place, and you'll see a complete different game... Seems like when you are out of position too often, the AI is playing all over the place too...

I've never had a better experience playing hockey like this one...
I'll check those out! And sadly, it's what I've come to expect from the game. I used to play it for hours a week, knocking out a few seasons, setting up some tournaments with Olympic rosters...now I can barely make it through one season without getting frustrated and shelving the game for months.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
Roster sharing, please. EVERY OTHER SPORTS GAME HAS IT, BUT NOT NHL. Why!?
The team is too small or whatever the excuse usually is.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:26 AM   #39
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialAssassin
The team is too small or whatever the excuse usually is.
In fairness to them, they do have a relatively small team, especially in comparison to other teams.

That said, I think the issues with the game tie directly to the online focus of recent years, and that being said, I don't think that's an EA NHL team focus so much as it is an EA focus. I think EA pushed for more online focus, and while that push didn't hurt the other EA sports teams, due to their bigger teams that could be more spread out, it looks to have set the NHL team back a bit.

I've noticed that ever since they started focusing on the online aspect, I've been more and more let down by the game.

That's all just my opinion though.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #40
Pro

clarkerots's Arena

OVR: 9

AI needs help, no doubt. I have features that are new, and features that I'd like to see back. If there's a problem with "sim" versus "casual" then I'd like to see the capability to turn features off, instead of the sim crowd just losing out.

Features To Bring Back:

- League leader board in main Franchise screen.

- out of town scores during games

- goalies fatigued if I play them in too many straight games. Used to show zzzzz's next to the goalie and ratings would take a major dip if still used. In that case, goalies should also be more susceptible to injury, but more on that later.

- phones for multiple trade offers, especially at the trade deadline. And for the love of Gordie Howe, make the trade deadline "active" like it really is.

- roster sharing

- custom music

- home team final changes

New Features I'd Like:

- make ratings matter. Someone with high discipline should not take a lot of penalties. Someone with 90 speed/acceleration should beat someone with 60 numbers to a loose puck when they start from the same area. High durability should not get hurt often. A D-man with high offensive awareness should enter the zone quickly, and not be offsides because they were cherry picking the red line.

- random puck drops, leading to false starts, leading to guys getting thrown out of the circle.

- better team management during games. CPU should use timeouts and have their 1st line on the ice when they're down by 1 and 1 minute remains.

- better team management all around. If the CPU has an elite goalie, and a 21 year old backup who's mid-80's and a starter rank, they shouldn't trade for a goalie. Likewise, if a team has 9 solid Defensive prospects they probably shouldn't be drafting a D-man with their first pick.

- goalie injuries during play. Goalies should be more susceptible if they are tired (see previous), but should also pull the occasional groin on a sprawling save that cause them to stretch out.

- have a setting for trades......set it to authentic, little, or none. That way, the true sim people will enjoy the bottom dwelling Penguins trading an older Malkin in the last year of his contract to a playoff bound team for high draft picks, and the casual players will enjoy....well.....the way the trade deadline is now. And while you're at it, add in No Trade Clauses.

- rabid fan noise during playoff games

- league suspensions for game misconducts, etc.

- mid-season contract negotiations.

- lastly, and this is a mix of an old feature, I'd like to see personality traits given to players that slightly affect their ratings (another reason why ratings would really have to matter). A "big hitter" should have their aggressive ratings spike when their team is low on momentum. A 'clutch" player should have their shot accuracy and power rise a bit when the game is on the line. Rivalry games should affect ratings slightly. A "rookie" should have their passing rating and offensive awareness rating dip a bit in their first game, and their first playoff game should create a ratings dip (maybe for just the first couple shifts). Also, young players should have a different overall rating when they're brought up to the NHL. Its just "not right" to have a 21 year old player rated 73 brought up to the NHL and his rating is still 73.

Ah......I wish these types of lists were taken super seriously by EA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »