Home

After Today's NHL 18 Reveals: What Do You Think About This Year's Game? (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on After Today's NHL 18 Reveals: What Do You Think About This Year's Game? (Roundtable) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #25
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: After Today's NHL 18 Reveals: What Do You Think About This Year's Game? (Roundtab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I have been a huge Debbie Downer on the NHL series over the years. That's been noted on here plenty of times. Looking back I probably should have been a bit more constructive, but I'm not even sure that would have mattered in getting things changed for how I wanted things etc.

I think most of my frustrations come from them being so close over the years, a tweak here, a tweak there game play wise would be really well done. Then year after year things, obvious things just ignored. Well maybe not ignored but just not have the man power to fix things or it was very low on priority list for whatever reason.

NHL 09, 10, 14, and now 17 were the games I enjoyed the most offline franchise wise.

If they build on 17 into 18 with this revamped AI, this is huge for offline and even online.

Awesome both sides of the puck now how a skill stick.

My favorite thing to do in EASHL etc is set up my teammates, so glad I will be able to put passes where I want and use the boards easier.

Gameplay wise over 15 and 16 left me kind of sour, making me want again for EA to market the game as an arcade one with sim elements. This made me want them to bring back 3 on 3 arcade hockey. Fun, over the top, easy to pick up and play etc. Games over quickly..

Then boom, they bring it back within NHL 18. They have the arcade version online/offline and with a campaign type mode, fantastic. They also have the sim type mode of 3 on 3 online in EASHL, fantastic. My buddy and I were talking just last week how its only usually 2 or 3 of us playing and how great it would be to play 3 on 3 in EASHL. Cracks me up the average EASHL games are played with just 2.1 players per team. This kind of changes the game online. Even so for e-sports. Find 2 other buds and dominate 3 on 3.

CO-OP, this is great with all the options. I'm just hoping I can invite my buddy into my franchise and play on my team. This would be great, especially since there is No GM Connected Mode again. 64 ways to play CO-OP? This has to be in right?

Expansion will be fun to mess with, only for me adding a 32nd team. Nice to have these options.

All in all my game play expectations have softened and I'm not as nit picky or as die hard as I used to be. I just want some decent game play to tweak, adjust, and have fun with all while getting solid stats in a short time. From the looks of it we will have all kinds of options to do that in NHL 18. We shall see.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really hoping that is in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2017, 05:43 AM   #26
Rookie

LousyJackRanga's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: After Today's NHL 18 Reveals: What Do You Think About This Year's Game? (Roundtab

The only 2 things I want them to add to the Franchise mode, is firstly the ability to search for a particular type of player through the trade block, and also for more info, such as stats, trades, injuries etc to be displayed on the franchise interface. Both these features were including in the old gen version so its about time they were incorporated in the current version.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #27
Rookie

s_mkheidze's Arena

I still don't think I will be buying this game. I just don't see enough change to warrant me putting down my hard earned $60 for this franchise anymore. Yeah they added a couple of good things, but it is overshadowed by useless garbage like 3-3 crap. Now if they would have skipped that stuff and invested that time (which the say they never have enough of) in making the features that people actually play better....then yeah. But as it stands, the addition of such silly and unrequested features is sending all the wrong signals to me. For me...it's a pass.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:21 AM   #28
Armchair GM

TecmoZack's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm pumped to play. First Hockey game I've preordered since PS2.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

On the Xbox - xPonchoChief
Old 07-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #29
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

^ LOL preordered, not a good idea.

I'm taking a break from ALL EA Sports games for a while, I doubt NHL 18 will be any better than 15,16,17 were but hey that's just the disgruntled in me.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I'm really interested in the 3-on-3 mode.
I'll wait for the game to drop and price and then check it out.

Not sure if anyone remembers, but NHL Hitz had a pond-hockey mode that was hella fun.
I'm hoping this is similar.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #31
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmilkman24
I'm excited for it this year. I'm a hardcore EASHL player. Now if my squad can't get 6 players on we can play 3 vs 3 which will really help eliminate the computer. We have no one to blame, but us. However I have already mentioned this, but I'll bring it up again.. does 3 vs 3 mean no human goalies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
That's a great question. In my head I think they're trying to create a competitive scene for EASHL, and 3 vs 3 looks like the mode that they want to center it around. I think they want to encourage scoring, and may leave the human goalie out for that reason.
There are 2 versions of 3v3. One is an EASHL version (full rink) which can have human goalies. The other is the arcade version (smaller rink, bigger hits, etc). The arcade version will be CPU goalies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #32
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mkheidze
I still don't think I will be buying this game. I just don't see enough change to warrant me putting down my hard earned $60 for this franchise anymore. Yeah they added a couple of good things, but it is overshadowed by useless garbage like 3-3 crap. Now if they would have skipped that stuff and invested that time (which the say they never have enough of) in making the features that people actually play better....then yeah. But as it stands, the addition of such silly and unrequested features is sending all the wrong signals to me. For me...it's a pass.
I'm waiting to see what they add with the AI and defensive skill stick...but if I'm being completely honest, I've played this wait and see game before. It never ends well. Without revamped AI on both sides of the puck, I'll quickly grow tired of the game. I've tried dropping back into NHL 17 after getting it on sale, but after the frustration of editing players, sliders and settings to try and get the game to play how I want it to, I just get frustrated and end up quitting mid game.

Hate to say it, but I may finally sit this one out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »