Home

NHL 20 Review: A Better Playing Game With a Familiar Coat of Paint

This is a discussion on NHL 20 Review: A Better Playing Game With a Familiar Coat of Paint within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 24
Re: NHL 20 Review: A Better Playing Game With a Familiar Coat of Paint

I love the game and have found it to be their best version yet. It's got its flaws and issues and weird stuff but so does every sports game on an annual release. But it's a fun game and really solid on the ice, especially after slider adjustments. Franchise mode is really deep and the new find trade option is a lifesaver.

In my franchise I have found that changing all the team strategies to match the head coach is a plus. I fired a defensive coach for an offensive coach and upped the pressure to match the new HC and changed the team strategies line-by-line to match, makes every line and situation feel different and allows the realistic "new coach, new system" change to happen when needed.

Last edited by tyler289; 09-18-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

The hitting is absurd.

I haven't played sicne NHL15, but I did the 10 hour trial.

The hitting just doesn't make sense. Like that's not what hockey looks like. It's basically a Scott Stevens hit constantly.

I know that gets better when you get the hang of moving the puck.

I will say, I did find the defensive AI did a better job of playing passing lanes on the breakout, but the hitting is so exaggerated that it ruined the whole in-game experience for me.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #19
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacks17
The hitting is absurd.

The hitting just doesn't make sense. Like that's not what hockey looks like. It's basically a Scott Stevens hit constantly.

I will say, I did find the defensive AI did a better job of playing passing lanes on the breakout, but the hitting is so exaggerated that it ruined the whole in-game experience for me.
What difficulty level and mode are you playing on?

On AS default/simulation I rarely see a big hit, in fact to me, it seems much improved in this area this year.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:57 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacks17
The hitting is absurd.

I put the CPU hitting to 0 and they hit me six times a game with 0 Stevens type hits.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #21
Rookie

Diehardfan's Arena

OVR: 4
I haven't bought this game for a number of years as I believe the series has taken a rather large step back under Rammer and his crew. I wasn't planning on buying this year's game either but it was gifted to me by my wife. Rather than hurt her feelings, I opened it and started playing.....I was happily surprised. Took awhile to fine tune the sliders as to adapt to my declining skills but after accomplishing that, I've been quite pleased with this one. While the reviewer here is correct on the shoddy AI which has always been EA's achilles heel, I'm finding that I can compensate for my teammates offensive blunders but the lack of defensive coverage is appalling. You simply can't be everywhere as you receive very little help.....but hey, it plays very, very smoothly and is a lot of fun to play.* Crackling good animations and I actually kind of like the new play by play guy....hockey is an exciting game and he reflects that in his game call.* I'd have to say that overall....I do recommend this game and it's been literally years since I've said that about an EA hockey game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #22
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ200
ugh. that clip you posted of Marner coming in on Suter. What level was that on?? Thats why I havent bought the game since 2016. If that stays in the game you saved me $60.
Honestly, that's been one of my gripes forever, and no amount of sliders, difficulty or strategy adjustments would fix it. Suter's not pressuring from the front on a deadly shooter, and he's getting no backcheck from Zucker to help take the puck either.

The AI is just always incredibly passive, and really only seems to wait to get into arm's distance to go for a cross check and doesn't really do much else.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »