Home

Franchise Mode Overwhelming?

This is a discussion on Franchise Mode Overwhelming? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #1
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3
Franchise Mode Overwhelming?

So, I've bought NHL every year since NHL 10. I love franchise mode and have always had a pretty good time with it.

I just bought NHL 20 and it seems like there are just way too many things to keep up with in the mode this year. I automated a lot of the owner mode stuff to be a little easier.

But, mostly how do you guys manage scouting and making sure you hire/fire better staff?

I'm trying to do a rebuild and if I have terrible scouts, even with auto scouting on I'll probably do badly.

When is the best time to hire staff, etc?

I can handle managing the cap and contracts but, this just adds another 2 layers I'm not sure I have the time to take care of.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Franchise Mode Overwhelming?

I don't, I just turn off everything I can and ignore everything else and just play the games.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30
Old 12-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87
So, I've bought NHL every year since NHL 10. I love franchise mode and have always had a pretty good time with it.

I just bought NHL 20 and it seems like there are just way too many things to keep up with in the mode this year. I automated a lot of the owner mode stuff to be a little easier.

But, mostly how do you guys manage scouting and making sure you hire/fire better staff?

I'm trying to do a rebuild and if I have terrible scouts, even with auto scouting on I'll probably do badly.

I can handle managing the cap and contracts but, this just adds another 2 layers I'm not sure I have the time to take care of.

Lots of different options to simplify.

Easiest one-turn the trade difficulty down. Then you don’t really need to worry about how your scouts are.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
Rookie

Does anyone know if drafted players develop while unsigned and playing in SHL or Liiga?
Old 12-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpsyched
Does anyone know if drafted players develop while unsigned and playing in SHL or Liiga?
They do.

From a few test franchises that I've done, the best option when they're not NHL ready seems to be to leave them for a year or two, and then when their "role" comes up to something like "Top 4 AHL" or "Top 9 AHL" (or something along those lines), sign them and let them play the role that they're suited for. That's where they'll develop the best.

I've had a few that have developed well, and a few that haven't. Those who haven't, end up not getting signed and going to FA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I think the changes to the scouting just makes more busy work. I leave all of that alone. The way it was in the past was fine - just decide what area to scout for how long (or, go halfway, and do like The Show, so you separately decide whether to discover prospects or scout the individual prospects). The need for individually directing 20 scouts is beyond me. That's not fun for me.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I think the changes to the scouting just makes more busy work. I leave all of that alone. The way it was in the past was fine - just decide what area to scout for how long (or, go halfway, and do like The Show, so you separately decide whether to discover prospects or scout the individual prospects). The need for individually directing 20 scouts is beyond me. That's not fun for me.
Couldn't agree more. It's an unnecessary level of micromanagement that I don't even think a real general manager even does. They probably check in with their scouting directors every so often throughout the season to find out who the top guys are in certain regions and positions and where they might fall based on their skill sets. I don't think they're walking up to a particular scout and saying "hey can you please go to Sweden and tell me what this guy's personality is like?"

--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 12-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

IMO a lot of the franchise mode stuff is simply there to say "look! Features!" None of it seems to really matter.

And good luck signing a goalie coach. :/

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »