Home

NHL 22 Gameplay Video and Changes That Have Been Made Since the Closed Technical Test Revealed

This is a discussion on NHL 22 Gameplay Video and Changes That Have Been Made Since the Closed Technical Test Revealed within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2021, 12:51 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 22 Gameplay Video and Changes That Have Been Made Since the Closed Technical

Will it ever be a "hockey" game again?

Every year it's just "EA NHL Breakaway to Score"

This is nothing what NHL Hockey actually looks like
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2021, 05:07 AM   #26
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Re: NHL 22 Gameplay Video and Changes That Have Been Made Since the Closed Technical

Typical negative nellies!!!!

Never have anything good to say, then dont say it..

you all complain "oh its the same game, nothing has changed"

Here i have a suggestion for all you and please take offense to this term because you are all "crybaby"...

heres a novel idea - dont like it... dont buy it but.... you all will..... so just shut up and play your STUPID EASHL and HUT!!!!
Old 10-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #27
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
Typical negative nellies!!!!

Never have anything good to say, then dont say it..

you all complain "oh its the same game, nothing has changed"

Here i have a suggestion for all you and please take offense to this term because you are all "crybaby"...

heres a novel idea - dont like it... dont buy it but.... you all will..... so just shut up and play your STUPID EASHL and HUT!!!!
"Never have anything good to say, then don't say it..."

Proceeds to call everyone crybabies...Well played sir, well played!

Anyway, you're probably on the wrong forum. The vast majority of active community members here are franchise mode players (Not EASHL/HUT players), and the gripes that come up are pretty understandable. Here's a few examples of things that have essentially been legacy issues:

-Extremely poor CPU AI.
-Lack of differentiation between players, regardless of skill level.
-Consistently poor effort when it comes to rosters.
-Lack of updating when it comes to some of the smaller things that improve immersion (ie. Same goalie masks for the past umpteen years).
-No roster sharing.
-Inability to edit players in-mode.
-Physics issues.
-Player switching lag.
-Issues with player contracts when playing more than 1 year of franchise mode.

Those are just a few that I've experienced and/or seen here, all of which seem like pretty legitimate complaints.

As for buying it? I mean, it's the only hockey game out there, so yeah, I'll pick it up at some point. Fortunately there's a wholllllle bunch of people that are no longer release day purchasers anymore, which typically means it's on sale for $30 by December.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #28
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Like every year, I'm hoping maybe I can get back into NHL. I haven't played it regularly since NHL 13. I've watched some of the videos and I'm moderately impressed. One thing I've noticed that I really hope isn't in franchise mode (or at least where we can turn it off) is the camera after we score a goal that goes dark, highlights the player, and has a bunch of crap all over the screen to show his, "x-factor," highlights.

Please tell me this can be turned off. It would be enough for me not to play it if we can't.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 10-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #29
Rookie

Literally 50 seconds into this video and this is what I see. That defender's stick should alter Eichel's shot where he doesn't even get it off. If the clipping had been recognized there, it would have been great.

Instead, Eichel's stick goes right through it and roofs a puck over Fleury's glove with the same animation that's been present in the game for five years. Yet, we're supposed to be excited?

Last edited by SocialAssassin; 10-01-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #30
Rookie

Frostbite is going to do nothing for the actual gameplay. It's going to look pretty, and some people will say "wow, look at how much better the graphics are now." Whoop-de-doo!

The actual gameplay/ai engine hasn't been touched or changed in years. How many years? Well, I used to have black hair while playing and now it's going grey, and it's still the exact same cheese and EA totally denied no-tilt outcomes, even though the announcers will throw in a comment at the end of a game occasionally, saying, "that game sure appeared to be tilted." Why would that comment even be included in the game in the first place, even if some people think that EA was doing it on purpose/for fun, due to the overwhelming number of comments saying that the game is scripted/tilted? It's honestly more than obvious at times.

This game has simply become a disgrace to the real NHL, and I honestly have no clue how the NHL actually approves of this atrocious attempt anymore that tries to resemble actual hockey when it's more like Bantam league hockey. I realize people will still buy it on day 1 for full price, but this game is truly worth nothing more than a DLC update, $20 or $30 depending on where you live. I know it's the only hockey choice we have though, as does EA, and in the end it's up to you as to how much you want to spend, if any, on the same garbage year in year out. As shown in the video with the stick unable to block/deflect a shot, Frostbite isn't going to change the garbage.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #31
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Look, I'm not defending the EA NHL series but that clip could be on arcade mode where stick on stick interactions don't matter. I doubt any of their clips are in simulation mode, but I could be wrong.

It is EA though so maybe the highly touted, "Enhanced Stick Physics" is just another catch phrase?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #32
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialAssassin

Literally 50 seconds into this video and this is what I see. That defender's stick should alter Eichel's shot where he doesn't even get it off. If the clipping had been recognized there, it would have been great.

Instead, Eichel's stick goes right through it and roofs a puck over Fleury's glove with the same animation that's been present in the game for five years. Yet, we're supposed to be excited?

I’ve always hated that save animation. No NHL goalie would ever drop to the ice then raise his glove up high to make a save on a shot headed to the top of the net. It’s always looked ridiculous. I bet the other ridiculous one is STILL in the game where the puck hits the goalie, pops up in the air, and the goalie stays in a canned frozen position as the puck slowly comes down behind him and drops into the net….��.

There have been small improvements here and there but some of the major stuff needed and asked for is never addressed.

More neutral zone play
Board play
Better CPU AI
Roster share
Sliders that actually work
Greater gap in player separation
Deeper customization:!gear, masks, player names (that available play by play list hasn’t changed since PS2), ability to change player faces (EA is dreadful at their selections), etc…

Those things alone would take this series to a new level but they are ignored year after year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »