Home

EA UFC 3 or Undisputed 3 ground game?

This is a discussion on EA UFC 3 or Undisputed 3 ground game? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which has better grappling, EA UFC 3 or Undisputed 3?
EA UFC 3 8 34.78%
Undisputed 3 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #153
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA UFC 3 or Undisputed 3 ground game?

Posting here for convenience

So in light of the recent ongoing discussion in this thread, i'm making this post. I've been thinking about some ideas to implement position holding into EA UFC, without a total overhaul like some are saying. I feel like a total overhaul isn't needed, just a combination of the best elements from both grappling systems. That said, position holding is something we see a lot when a fight hits the ground in MMA. Fighters trying to maintain position by keeping pressure on a fighter from top, or keeping a tight grip from bottom to maintain control. I feel like this is a part of the ground game that's not represented well in EA UFC. So here's how I think it could work in the game, without being like UD3's and more balanced...

How It Works
Firstly, the controls would be simple...block and hold the right stick left/right to hold position. Position holding will work hand in hand with the current system, so it will just be another option. You'll be able to hold position or deny at your own choice. Also if you're holding position, you'd be able to let go at any time to attempt a denial. Of course you'd have to be denying in time before the opponents transition goes through. The way I see this being implemented into the current EA UFC grappling system is by allowing it in certain positions only. Like more simple positions where we see guys trying to hold position irl. The upside to holding position is it will allow you to block any transition attempts. The downside is that blocking transitions with it won't grant GA like denials do and that it will also drain your short term stamina. Once your short term stamina drops below a certain threshold, transitions will automatically get through. This will make position holding more of a thing that has to be used strategically.

Positions It Could Be Used In
The positions I think holding can be used in are the more basic ones and the ones we see fighters try to hold and maintain irl.

Top Positions
Holding position from top would be able to be done postured down or after you break an opponents posture control.

DOM Full Guard: As you can see in the gif below, guy on top keeping his head/body down on the opponent to maintain pressure, stay heavy and hold position...

Spoiler

Spoiler

DOM Half Guard: In gif A, we see a close up look at head & arm control, which is used a lot in half guard and side control to keep pressure on and hold opponents down to maintain position. Then in gif B, see how the top fighter passes to half guard and right away grabs that same head & arm control, to hold down the opponent and maintain his new position.

A
Spoiler

B
Spoiler

DOM Side Control
Just like in the half guard, head & arm control is used a lot in side control to keep pressure on opponents and maintain position. Below we see it being used by the guy on top to maintain control of his opponent...

Spoiler

These are the three top positions I feel could use position holding. All other more difficult to hold top positions like mount, back mount, crucifix, ect would use directional denials.

Bottom Positions
Now position holding would be more situational from bottom, as you'd only be able to do it when the top fighter's posture is down.

SUB Full Guard
Bottom fighter would use body locks or head&arm control from bottom to try and keep the top guy controlled...

Spoiler

Spoiler

SUB Half Guard
Similar to the full guard, bottom fighter would use body locks or head&arm control to try and keep the top guy controlled...

Spoiler

Spoiler

SUB Side Control
Now holding from side control bottom will work a bit differently. You'd only be able to block certain transitions in this position, as you can't really "hold" from here. It would let you put a knee up as the bottom fighter, blocking all transitions in the direction of your body. So that means it'll block mount transition, kimura, ect...

Spoiler

SUB Full Mount
This should really only block posture up attempts by the DOM. We already have holding from mount bottom, but it doesn't really block the posture up attempts...its like one attempt and they get out.
Spoiler

These are the bottom positions that I feel could use position holding. All other bottom positions would use directional denials.

So those are my idea's how position holding could work. Just some thoughts, as lots of players including myself, miss that aspect of the grappling from UD3 where it had that immersive feel of struggle and trying to control an opponent. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to drop your own ideas and thoughts plz. Also credit to the guys that dropped ideas in this thread. Cheers!

Last edited by WarMMA; 12-24-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #154
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Posting here for convenience

So in light of the recent ongoing discussion in this thread, i'm making this post. I've been thinking about some ideas to implement position holding into EA UFC, without a total overhaul like some are saying. I feel like a total overhaul isn't needed, just a combination of the best elements from both grappling systems. That said, position holding is something we see a lot when a fight hits the ground in MMA. Fighters trying to maintain position by keeping pressure on a fighter from top, or keeping a tight grip from bottom to maintain control. I feel like this is a part of the ground game that's not represented well in EA UFC. So here's how I think it could work in the game, without being like UD3's and more balanced...

How It Works
Firstly, the controls would be simple...block and hold the right stick left/right to hold position. Position holding will work hand in hand with the current system, so it will just be another option. You'll be able to hold position or deny at your own choice. Also if you're holding position, you'd be able to let go at any time to attempt a denial. Of course you'd have to be denying in time before the opponents transition goes through. The way I see this being implemented into the current EA UFC grappling system is by allowing it in certain positions only. Like more simple positions where we see guys trying to hold position irl. The upside to holding position is it will allow you to block any transition attempts. The downside is that blocking transitions with it won't grant GA like denials do and that it will also drain your short term stamina. Once your short term stamina drops below a certain threshold, transitions will automatically get through. This will make position holding more of a thing that has to be used strategically.

Positions It Could Be Used In
The positions I think holding can be used in are the more basic ones and the ones we see fighters try to hold and maintain irl.

Top Positions
Holding position from top would be able to be done postured down or after you break an opponents posture control.

DOM Full Guard: As you can see in the gif below, guy on top keeping his head/body down on the opponent to maintain pressure, stay heavy and hold position...

Spoiler

Spoiler

DOM Half Guard: In gif A, we see a close up look at head & arm control, which is used a lot in half guard and side control to keep pressure on and hold opponents down to maintain position. Then in gif B, see how the top fighter passes to half guard and right away grabs that same head & arm control, to hold down the opponent and maintain his new position.

A
Spoiler

B
Spoiler

DOM Side Control
Just like in the half guard, head & arm control is used a lot in side control to keep pressure on opponents and maintain position. Below we see it being used by the guy on top to maintain control of his opponent...

Spoiler

These are the three top positions I feel could use position holding. All other more difficult to hold top positions like mount, back mount, crucifix, ect would use directional denials.

Bottom Positions
Now position holding would be more situational from bottom, as you'd only be able to do it when the top fighter's posture is down.

SUB Full Guard
Bottom fighter would use body locks or head&arm control from bottom to try and keep the top guy controlled...

Spoiler

Spoiler

SUB Half Guard
Similar to the full guard, bottom fighter would use body locks or head&arm control to try and keep the top guy controlled...

Spoiler

Spoiler

SUB Side Control
Now holding from side control bottom will work a bit differently. You'd only be able to block certain transitions in this position, as you can't really "hold" from here. It would let you put a knee up as the bottom fighter, blocking all transitions in the direction of your body. So that means it'll block mount transition, kimura, ect...

Spoiler

SUB Full Mount
This should really only block posture up attempts by the DOM. We already have holding from mount bottom, but it doesn't really block the posture up attempts...its like one attempt and they get out.
Spoiler

These are the bottom positions that I feel could use position holding. All other bottom positions would use directional denials.

So those are my idea's how position holding could work. Just some thoughts, as lots of players including myself, miss that aspect of the grappling from UD3 where it had that immersive feel of struggle and trying to control an opponent. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to drop your own ideas and thoughts plz. Also credit to the guys that dropped ideas in this thread. Cheers!

I like this idea a lot. It adds a sense of control (and realism) to the ground game that doesn’t exist in the current transition/denial based meta. Plus, stamina drain during holds would prevent players from lay and pray. I could see myself using the hold option following a takedown to asses the situation and plan my next move.

Also, seems doable with the current grapple system. Would require the addition of a “hold” option from DOM/SUB full guard, half guard, side control, but not much more.

Just to clarify, your proposal would be similar to the current “hold” option in SUB top mount? Also, if mobility on the ground is incorporated, how would that work with regard to the hold option?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #155
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Icon2 Re: EA UFC 3 or Undisputed 3 ground game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg3445
Just to clarify, your proposal would be similar to the current “hold” option in SUB top mount? Also, if mobility on the ground is incorporated, how would that work with regard to the hold option?
Yh it would be similar to holding from SUB mount, except it will actually block transition attempts as long as the fighter holding has enough stamina. But holding will drain your short term stamina and once your stamina gets below a certain percentage, the opponents transitions will get through. And if mobility on the ground was added, I assume it would be tied to the left stick most likely. So if that were the case, you could just hold position (R2/RT + hold RS left/right) and move the left stick wherever you wanted to move on the ground.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #156
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Yh it would be similar to holding from SUB mount, except it will actually block transition attempts as long as the fighter holding has enough stamina. But holding will drain your short term stamina and once your stamina gets below a certain percentage, the opponents transitions will get through. And if mobility on the ground was added, I assume it would be tied to the left stick most likely. So if that were the case, you could just hold position (R2/RT + hold RS left/right) and move the left stick wherever you wanted to move on the ground.

Gotchya. Would also make sense to tax short term stamina for ground movement. DOM movement costing less than SUB, and movement while “holding” costing more than while not. Could also understand an argument that neither player can move while holding

Old 12-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #157
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg3445
Gotchya. Would also make sense to tax short term stamina for ground movement. DOM movement costing less than SUB, and movement while “holding” costing more than while not. Could also understand an argument that neither player can move while holding

Yh I think if they did add ground movement and position holding, it would make more sense that fighters cant move around like that while holding position.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »