Home

A look back.....

This is a discussion on A look back..... within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: A look back.....

To me this was the absolute peak of combat games. I love Fight Night but UFC was the more enjoyable game especially with event mode. I remember someone (it might have been you lol) shared a spreadsheet that helped with that.
It wasn't perfect though. The CAF system and limited number of spots was frustrating. So was not being able to make them 99 overall for event mode.

In terms of the EA games, I honestly liked the Strike force EA game more than the UFC iterations.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
To Tomi's point, its kind of hard to say given that you have primarily played offline and with friends who likely play in a realistic way similar to yourself. ****, you and I likely could play UFC 3 in a realistic/sim way because our intent when playing is to have a sim/realistic experience.

Dont get me wrong...a sim stamina setting on ranked for UFC 4 would push ranked to where people here want it. I'm just not convinced that the setting alone is a spam fix all.
True, but seeing how the stamina actually works on simulation... I don't think anything is possible to spam and win with. All the typical default energy tricks don't work, and you can get punished badly for trying any of the same stuff. Leg kick spam is also easily dealt with, checks all day.

It's a good point indeed, though for what it's worth, I have spent a while in practice mode just throwing tons of strikes to beat up on the inert AI and man, you gas HARD after 3/4 head kicks. Maybe 4-5 at lower weight classes. Can't throw many heavy strikes either. Hook spam wouldn't work, you could use head movement in the pocket and punish them badly. So, MAYBE there is a way. But from my understanding of the mechanics and stamina, I can't see one.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
Pro

Spam like that is easy to neutralize in UFC 3 as well though. Besides, a lot of people here complain about spam even if the opponent is landing efficiently. Shouldn't you lose quickly under sim settings if you're getting hit a lot?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
Spam like that is easy to neutralize in UFC 3 as well though. Besides, a lot of people here complain about spam even if the opponent is landing efficiently. Shouldn't you lose quickly under sim settings if you're getting hit a lot?
Yes, you can neutralize it but it feels a lot more clunky and less enjoyable to actually play because it feels like I'm battling with the controls every time, but I know the controls well. UD3 is instantly responsive, strikes are fast and snappy, and everything I want it to do, it does, with no fuss.

Also, you do lose quickly on sim if you get hit a lot.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #13
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
To me this was the absolute peak of combat games. I love Fight Night but UFC was the more enjoyable game especially with event mode. I remember someone (it might have been you lol) shared a spreadsheet that helped with that.
It wasn't perfect though. The CAF syst
em and limited number of spots was frustrating. So was not being able to make them 99 overall for event mode.

In terms of the EA games, I honestly liked the Strike force EA game more than the UFC iterations.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
It was but I think I stole it from someone else. I used that spreadsheet up until a year ago when I transferred all my data to the WMMA5 game.

Regarding the CAF system, I believe they had a workaround that allowed you to bypass the limit and make 99 overall CAFS for event mode. There was also a bug that allowed you to have open-weight fights. I rememeber being scared ****less that THQ was going to patch those things.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #14
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUFCVeteran
True, but seeing how the stamina actually works on simulation... I don't think anything is possible to spam and win with. All the typical default energy tricks don't work, and you can get punished badly for trying any of the same stuff. Leg kick spam is also easily dealt with, checks all day.

It's a good point indeed, though for what it's worth, I have spent a while in practice mode just throwing tons of strikes to beat up on the inert AI and man, you gas HARD after 3/4 head kicks. Maybe 4-5 at lower weight classes. Can't throw many heavy strikes either. Hook spam wouldn't work, you could use head movement in the pocket and punish them badly. So, MAYBE there is a way. But from my understanding of the mechanics and stamina, I can't see one.
See for all the complaints I hear about UFC3's head movement (and many of them are valid), I thought UD3's was clunky as hell. It wasnt fluid like FNC (neither is UFC3's) so if someone is spamming hooks, head movement isnt that much of a solution.

Also most of the "spam" complaints here that are valid arent as simple as spamming hooks or non stop throwing heavy strikes. Spam like that is easy for the devs to stomp out. For example, it took them 1-2 patches to fix the bobblehead/head movement spam and the 1212 spam.

The complaints you see here are typically either deeper meta spam complaints or someone complaining about one of the systems (stamina, grappling etc.)

On another note, I find it funny that people treat UD3 as the holy grail of sim (dont get me wrong it was a great game) but you can look through that thread and see a good amount of people complaining about how unrealistic it was at the time.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUFCVeteran
Yes, you can neutralize it but it feels a lot more clunky and less enjoyable to actually play because it feels like I'm battling with the controls every time, but I know the controls well. UD3 is instantly responsive, strikes are fast and snappy, and everything I want it to do, it does, with no fuss.
Is this related to a sim setting?

Quote:
Also, you do lose quickly on sim if you get hit a lot.
I believe that if the game had a sim mode people would still play aggressively but the matches would be even more lopsided than they are now so "spam" would still be prevalent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #16
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
Is this related to a sim setting?

I believe that if the game had a sim mode people would still play aggressively but the matches would be even more lopsided than they are now so "spam" would still be prevalent.
I think there might be a bit of confusion. In my initial post, when I said "Sim. Mode", I wasn't saying that I wanted one in UFC 3 (well... I do, but still), but just that it made UD3 a lot better.

In my eyes, the way to fix insane output is to have the temp stamina (and max stamina but less so) massively drop after 3-4 big power strikes. To me, it's not a matter of "it can be punished", it's that it shouldn't even be possible in the first place. I think spam in general in UFC 3 would be muuuuuch less of a problem if the controls and head movement were super snappy and responsive. Forget how it looks, it's about how it plays.

I personally believe that the way to victory should be through playing as realistically as you can and like the fighter you've chosen. If I choose Pearson, for example, I should be looking to use my boxing and set up that left hand (single strikes still need to do MUCH more damage, the rate of health recovery needs to be lowered as well, perhaps in a suggested sim mode), with some kicks in there too.

I deeply dislike the push to balance the game so it's "competitively fair", it can't be truly fair anyway since it's MMA and MMA is unbalanced by default. It makes it super predictable and a little boring. I'm not saying to make a game which is super unbalanced, but maybe a bit of RNG in a sim/unranked mode could do wonders for the guys who are looking for a more realistic experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
See for all the complaints I hear about UFC3's head movement (and many of them are valid), I thought UD3's was clunky as hell. It wasnt fluid like FNC (neither is UFC3's) so if someone is spamming hooks, head movement isnt that much of a solution.

Also most of the "spam" complaints here that are valid arent as simple as spamming hooks or non stop throwing heavy strikes. Spam like that is easy for the devs to stomp out. For example, it took them 1-2 patches to fix the bobblehead/head movement spam and the 1212 spam.

The complaints you see here are typically either deeper meta spam complaints or someone complaining about one of the systems (stamina, grappling etc.)

On another note, I find it funny that people treat UD3 as the holy grail of sim (dont get me wrong it was a great game) but you can look through that thread and see a good amount of people complaining about how unrealistic it was at the time.
To me, I would gladly sacrifice fluidity in terms of visuals for a snappier and more responsive game. I've wanted them to strip the graphics back to reach a true 60fps for ages now... I doubt it'll ever happen though. The public perception/backlash would be too much.

And about patching out spam, true, but I was talking about how it was in UD3, not how it would be in UFC 3, if you get me. I tend to find that head movement is extremely useful against hook spam, you can duck and fire overhands until the cows come home if you're playing on default. Maybe sneak some jabs in. On sim, they'll just gas out anyway so it won't take long before you can fire away.

Last edited by TheUFCVeteran; 12-10-2019 at 08:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »