Home

Please - let us choose which side of the screen we fight on!

This is a discussion on Please - let us choose which side of the screen we fight on! within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Please - let us choose which side of the screen we fight on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ragdoll Guy
Luckily I was almost always fighting out of the right corner of the screen which is the better side for me... but it totally threw me off when I had to fight from the left side of the screen. This could be easily implemented imo.

Imagine EA's working on a 1st person MMA game. That'd be really cool. It gave GTA 5 for example, a real new touch. Maybe on PS 5, in the far future.
I remember when I was a kid...probably about 1996...thinking that by 2006 they will DEFINTELY have a 100% realistic 1st Person Madden game, and by 2016, Virtual Reality will easily have taken over ....

Guess that stuff is harder to do than I thought as an 11 year old haha
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 02-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Left and Right sides are an archaism and unrealistic.

B/c

1. IN THE GAME - This is an objectively great contrived unnatural difficulty/issue in entering commands, you need to enter mirrored different directions for the SAME moves.

2. IRL - This issue does NOT exist at all: you don't have different directions in front of you facing the opponent.

We want realistic SIM game = we do NOT want unnatural unrealistic difficulties = We need to be able to select those side which we prefer to use (more comfortable).

> Allow in options to select Sides (left or right), regardless of the corner's color.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #11
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

What are the technical difficulties in doing this? Are there any other fighting games that allow you to do that?

I don't know anything about programming, but it seems like it might be kind of complex to actually make this idea work.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #12
Pro

Well, Tekken 7 lets you pick your side of the screen online, and the effect is so strong that some players are so used playing on P1 (left) side that they actually completely forget what to do once a throw causes them to switch sides and force them to be P2.

If Tekken 7 can do it, I don't see why UFC can't either/
Old 02-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
I remember when I was a kid...probably about 1996...thinking that by 2006 they will DEFINTELY have a 100% realistic 1st Person Madden game, and by 2016, Virtual Reality will easily have taken over ....

Guess that stuff is harder to do than I thought as an 11 year old haha
There have been first person sports Games tho. Ive played Football (Soccer) Games that had a first person camera Options. But a 3rd person would also be cool for MMA.

Main reason why its not here yet is that
Game devs are stuck in 2001 where People still played on the same couch... those times are almost over. I think the majority is playing online against their Friends.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #14
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
Left and Right sides are an archaism and unrealistic.

B/c

1. IN THE GAME - This is an objectively great contrived unnatural difficulty/issue in entering commands, you need to enter mirrored different directions for the SAME moves.

2. IRL - This issue does NOT exist at all: you don't have different directions in front of you facing the opponent.

We want realistic SIM game = we do NOT want unnatural unrealistic difficulties = We need to be able to select those side which we prefer to use (more comfortable).

> Allow in options to select Sides (left or right), regardless of the corner's color.
Comfort is for sissys I get where you're coming from though.

Still....I think of it this way.... pressing just a few buttons on a controller allows you to throw an intricate, precise, powerful combination that takes a fighter years to master "in real life" ...

Given how Easy it is to throw such a combo on a controller, compared to real life...is it really "simulation breaking" to require players to learn how to operate from either side?

Ragdoll makes a good point though. Same Screen Competitive Play is pretty much a figment of history.

But I'm getting older and more stubborn each and every day haha A true fighter can fight on either side, at any time !

I'm sure i'm better on the Left Side than the Right Side, if only because I've gotten 4x as many reps on the Left Side in my fighting career.

But....I've found that I become a lot more creative and unpredictable when I'm on the Right side....for better or worse? haha

FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 02-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #15
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
Comfort is for sissys I get where you're coming from though.

Still....I think of it this way.... pressing just a few buttons on a controller allows you to throw an intricate, precise, powerful combination that takes a fighter years to master "in real life" ...

Given how Easy it is to throw such a combo on a controller, compared to real life...is it really "simulation breaking" to require players to learn how to operate from either side?

Ragdoll makes a good point though. Same Screen Competitive Play is pretty much a figment of history.

But I'm getting older and more stubborn each and every day haha A true fighter can fight on either side, at any time !

I'm sure i'm better on the Left Side than the Right Side, if only because I've gotten 4x as many reps on the Left Side in my fighting career.

But....I've found that I become a lot more creative and unpredictable when I'm on the Right side....for better or worse? haha

I played a lot in Virtua Fighter, this game has one of the most technical, difficult and differentiate input between characters (from one 1P side):

MASTERING THE INPUT = MASTERING THE CHARACTER'S STYLE, like IRL it takes much time (training, training and training).

- harder input = more powerful/profit strikes

- easier input = less powerful/profit strikes

So, as you said, you need to MASTERING inputs to perform more profit strikes.
My favorite character is judoka Goh Hinogami and bajiquan Akira (one of the most difficult characters).
THIS concept works very well in VF.

Example: ONE strike = left, fwd/down, fwd + Punch
When ypu are from the left side 2P it becomes even more difficultm especially on arcade fight sticks.

BUT

This was good for ARCADE fighting games with constant frame data and direct precise input and constant moves properties... = pure control input skill + math skill + avd/disadv strategy (more ARACDE gameplay) = success.

And

EA UFC 3 is another game: analog non constant frame data and less precise input and analog non constant properties... = monitoring your fighter's states/gauges, poses + monitoring opponent's states/gauges + knowledge of all options in every situations and doing the right choice (more SIM gameplay) = success.

> In EA UFC 3 we need to monitoring to many factors and recognise animation to succeed, so we do NOT have additional skill required difficulties in inputs. Otherwise, it will distract our mind from these processes. Plus, as i said, this is not realistic.

Last edited by SUGATA; 02-27-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #16
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
What are the technical difficulties in doing this? Are there any other fighting games that allow you to do that?

I don't know anything about programming, but it seems like it might be kind of complex to actually make this idea work.

Not too much difficulties (except some grappling moves in all stances).

Honestly, now in EA UFC 3
Red gloves (Left side) – Host
Blue gloves (Right side) – not Host (recipient)

Not host (recipient) may suffer from netcode delays and lags b/c of P2P netcode connection

+

He also is playing from less default = less comfortable right side. Double disadvantage for recipient.

I dont think this is right situation for him.

Last edited by SUGATA; 02-27-2020 at 06:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »