Home

Should I buy the game now?

This is a discussion on Should I buy the game now? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #33
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Should I buy the game now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
I actually made that initial post because I saw both Romero and Pryoxis address non-core gameplay issues as well. Right now, this isn't about stamina and damage to me, as EA have made about 50 steps back from UFC 3, so stamina and damage have somehow moved way back in my priorities.

And sure, the non-gameplay complaints by Romero and Pryoxis amount to maybe 15% of the entirety of their complaints, but they do make them. In fact, that 15% (this is a rather arbitrary number) is why I'm left with the impression a lot of people choose not to bat an eye to how horrid the game is OUTSIDE of the cage as well.

I also have my issues gameplay-wise and Romero does a terrific job discussing a lot of them in his video, but my focus right now is mostly outside of the cage. As I have said before, this game isn't good even by casual standards. The player is limited, limited, limited. Even more so than he was in UFC 3, it's like they went out of their way to remove features, be it small or big ones. Fighter selection, shorts, post-fight information, fighter creation, and so on and so forth — all of that is affected. The game looks not half-baked, it's like a quarter-baked. And I'm not seeing enough criticism when it comes to that.

Yeah, the Reddit brigade notice it, but was shocked how the established top players aren't on EA's case regarding those things as well. It's objectively horrible. But now they have addressed it a little bit, I hope to see more of it.
I was thinking of putting together a post explaining how the presentation has taken a step back from UFC 3, which itself took a step back from UFC 2. Currently writing up a post about a submission system but I will get round to the presentation one soon. It's always bugged me, you can tell there's a lack of care there, especially since UFC 2 nailed what it did do. Gone backwards since then, presentation wise.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #34
Rookie

They have still totally ignored offline modes. It's just unacceptable.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey

What you see on this board is the same tired **** we've seen every year about stamina and pressure. Those problems have been fixed. I'm sorry, they just have. If people aren't in a position to play at a high enough level to see these changes, that is no other problem than their own.

Like, this guy thinks 200 fights is a lot. You know how many fights in UFC 3 and 4 I had to play to get to this level? I don't think I'd be off if I said it was over six thousand.

allright.. You do realize you take a considerable amount of time playing ufc 4 right? Not only do I think you play way more than the average player but also more than maybe the average gamer...

If you really need to play +6000 fights to only then be able to deal with the stamina bull**** dynamic that goes into play when facing pressure fighters, then that's a sign there's something wrong within the dynamic itself..

How the devs hope to reach a larger audience if you're telling me people need to spend countless hours and put so much effort in a videogame to not be completely demolished by a pressure fighter, when for them, it's a matter of grabbing the controller, marching foward smashing buttons and still are able to beat me easily.. Can you see how unbalanced this is?

And I'm sorry, but people have other games to play, and other things to do in life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #36
Pro

LarsP's Arena

"If it's not a problem to me, it's not a problem"
Old 03-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #37
Banned

Irish0331's Arena

Nah, I'd say pass.

Of all the issues the game has, for all of the things that were already in the game and inexplicably removed, for the lack of attention to detail and for offliners being blown off....i can honestly say i got over it and a decent MMA gaming experience would be possible.

But, it is 150% inexcusable that clinch fighting is basically non-existent. Removing the ability to clinch up and battle/pummel/transition back and forth is ludicrous. Not being able to force someone up against the cage and grind on them and fight for position or fight to reverse position is insanity. That tactic is a staple in the vast majority of fights that we see. The only thing more absurd than the removal of this is the rationale for it: "people don't like getting pressed up against the cage and...." OK, maybe next year we can get rid of full mount.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
This isn't aimed at you, but rather it's a good launch pad for my point: you notice when Pryoxis and Romero are lobbying complaints against the game they most often DON'T coalesce with the complaints you see on this board?

What you see on this board is the same tired **** we've seen every year about stamina and pressure. Those problems have been fixed. I'm sorry, they just have. If people aren't in a position to play at a high enough level to see these changes, that is no other problem than their own. Now, are the high level players saying that these mechanics are perfect? No, you can always improve, but largely the day is gone where pressure and stamina were something universally panned by low and high level players alike.

Rather, Pryoxis and Romero are taking issue with the complex details of the meta most of the time (details that can derail the game if playing the wrong player or if you get unlucky, to be fair) and overarching issues (the kind of issues pressure and stamina used to be) some of the time. We've accepted that this is a good game mechanically, or rather it COULD be if it was the best version of itself.

The people on this board and Reddit take issue with the fundamental design of the game which is not how Pryoxis and Romero see it. They are more focused on things that AREN'T in the game rather than things that are and don't work. The biggest overarching issue I can think of is tracking of punches and kicks, but you don't often hear low skill players talk about that because they're caught up in the miasma of terrible play in quick fight and low level ranked. They scale up their problems to such a high degree because of that.

Like, this guy thinks 200 fights is a lot. You know how many fights in UFC 3 and 4 I had to play to get to this level? I don't think I'd be off if I said it was over six thousand. Granted, it would take significantly less play time to simply gain competency in all aspects of the game, but 200 fights ain't even close.
The standing guillotine stamina drain + camera wiggle is aids.

So is the ability to instantly take someone’s back when they’re on the cage.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #39
MVP

On a serious note, I think my issue is how much better it feels to be a pressure boxer throughout this iteration over other forms of fighting. I don't really "Gameplan" anymore unless I'm playing someone at a lower division, I think the issue is pacing personally. The extent of my gameplanning probably has more to do with what I pick up during the fight, rather than "Oh he's using Cody, let me use Cruz and see how I can use my tools effectively.." If you're a pressure boxer you can generally shut down most wrestlers by just staying in their face as much as possible while holding down block. The main grapplers I end up struggling with are guys who try every exploit in the book to get a submission win.

As for kickboxers, they certainly can be ok but I still feel its more of an advantage to box.

So if you enjoy an MMA game that leans in favor of pressure boxing, this can work for you. However, if you're watching an MMA fight and value how fighters set things up, etc...

well that can be done it just wont look the same, since there are only a few MMA fighters who can box effectively. I certainly feel sim playing Petr Yan.

Last edited by UFCBlackbelt; 03-24-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
Yeah, the Reddit brigade notice it, but was shocked how the established top players aren't on EA's case regarding those things as well. It's objectively horrible. But now they have addressed it a little bit, I hope to see more of it.
Quite honestly, most of us are focused on getting gameplay stuff fixed. Personally, I couldn't give a damn whether or not I can change what shorts my fighter is wearing and would much rather focus my efforts on things that will effect my personal experience playing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »