Home

Backyard/Kumite

This is a discussion on Backyard/Kumite within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Backyard/Kumite

I agree, but the fact of the matter is that the average casual player does NOT like it and will blast the game because of that aspect. You see reports of people quitting when they get taken down (though that might just be ragequitting) or bossed around. It boggles my mind because there's been "standup mode" since forever and now with "Mortal Kombat" mode the anti-wrestlers are getting catered to. So no reason imo to restrict clinching so much. It's the only aspect of EA UFC 3 that I miss atm.

I saw the thread that claimed it's easy to control the opponent against the cage, but so far I just can't manage against hard AI. They always slip out even if I track their movement with the stick. In career I never invest points in clinch stats because it seems pointless.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #10
Banned

Irish0331's Arena

Yeah thats what ive been hearing about why the clinch is the way it is. In my minds eye, being pinned against the cage isn't much different than getting mounted and not being able to escape. Was there a coin flip in the studio "heads we drop full mount, tails we dump cage grinding." It's a pretty glaring omission. And like you said, with the grappling free modes its a massive headscratcher.

I gotta go looking for that cage control thread to see what its all about. I saw one that talked about flipping back and forth between back control and over under...is that the one?
Old 02-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish0331
I gotta go looking for that cage control thread to see what its all about. I saw one that talked about flipping back and forth between back control and over under...is that the one?

Yes, but I'm in the dark on how to properly control and don't want to resort to flip-floppin' between positions. I know you can shut down knees or punches based on the direction of the stick. But keeping people stuck? As there's nothing else playing then the sticks, it would be mandatory to let the fighter escape in one direction, or otherwise he'd be stuck forever if the attacker holds the button, which would be rather lame. Would be best if it was stat-based, not "skill"-based.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler
I unexpectedly really, really like these modes. Especially the Kumite. So much so, that I wish there was a way to optionally play it.

And I’m all about “true to sport” gameplay and presentation. I always use realistic tactics and strategies - and have been since the UD3 days of holding people against the fence with Jake Shields and Jon Fitch.

But the Kumite just has a really unique vibe to it. Totally different energy when playing a competitive match. It’s fun using a super realistic, modern MMA gameplan... yet in this movie-esque setting. Idk, definitely didn’t expect to like it but I actually wish I could play it more.
You can toggle arenas now. At least UFC v non ufc venues. Idk if you can select only Kumite but the option is there for you to get Kumite at least 50% of the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »