Home

Head Movement: Final Boss Thread

This is a discussion on Head Movement: Final Boss Thread within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #41
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Head Movement: Final Boss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
They'd do a spinning backfist poorly, yes. Which is why you have stats to make sure everyone isn't moving their head like Tyson.

Actually, bobbing and weaving is the primary defence right now so I'm not sure what point you're making tbh? Everyone in the game can currently move their head like that. Just at different levels.

The point I’m making is that there is a difference between bobbing and weaving and the 360 movement you and others are asking for. Every fighter uses head movement of some kind but not everyone uses 360 movement like Anderson or Cody.

Your point appears to be that everyone COULD do it if they wanted to so everyone should have it. My counter is everyone could throw a standing elbow but we only give them to fighters who actually USE them.

I don’t want to see people spamming standing elbows with fighters who don’t throw elbows in real life. Just like I don’t want to see people using 360 head movement with fighters who don’t use it in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #42
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
The point I’m making is that there is a difference between bobbing and weaving and the 360 movement you and others are asking for. Every fighter uses head movement of some kind but not everyone uses 360 movement like Anderson or Cody.

Your point appears to be that everyone COULD do it if they wanted to so everyone should have it. My counter is everyone could throw a standing elbow but we only give them to fighters who actually USE them.

I don’t want to see people spamming standing elbows with fighters who don’t throw elbows in real life. Just like I don’t want to see people using 360 head movement with fighters who don’t use it in real life.

Most clips I've seen posted so far don't really sell the 360 aspect either.

Most of them are fast, discrete transitions between one of four angles.

The only real difference being the look of the transition (cody vs anderson's style is very different).
Old 12-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #43
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32

Everybody DOES use 360 head movement. But not everybody is slipping combos like Cody. Everybody uses head movement far more dynamic than what we have in UFC 3. Everybody moves their head in all kinds of directions.

I don't see an issue with what Cody does being possible with an average-ish fighter. As long as it's significantly more difficult.

But again... if you're gonna go with this argument... you are also indirectly ****ting on UFC 3. Everybody can bob and weave like crazy and not every fighter does that irl. And I think it's fine that everyone can. As long as it's harder with some fighters than it is others.

Bro... trust me... 360 head movement is the way if it's done right.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #44
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Most clips I've seen posted so far don't really sell the 360 aspect either.

Most of them are fast, discrete transitions between one of four angles.

The only real difference being the look of the transition (cody vs anderson's style is very different).
I've posted so many GIFS of fighters moving their head slightly off the center line in the last couple months man. It's a part of MMA (all striking sports) that is very common. 360 head movement does not mean being Anderson Silva. It just means having more angular control.

Whether you're for it being in the game aside or not... It is an undeniable part of MMA.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #45
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
I've posted so many GIFS of fighters moving their head slightly off the center line in the last couple months man. It's a part of MMA (all striking sports) that is very common. 360 head movement does not mean being Anderson Silva. It just means having more angular control.

Whether you're for it being in the game aside or not... It is an undeniable part of MMA.
The Aldo gif someone posted was the closest I've seen in this thread to 360 analog control.

The rest maybe make a good case for different magnitudes.

But not so much different angles.

And that's just looking at the clips from an aesthetics standpoint.

What it would actually add to the gameplay is another question.

Keep in mind, people are already complaining about control complexity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #46
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
The Aldo gif someone posted was the closest I've seen in this thread to 360 analog control.

360 head movement makes the most sense to me. It's the ideal scenario. It's not like every fighter is always moving their head the exact same distance to the left. Fighters are moving their heads at all different angles.

However, smaller slips would help a lot also. Being able to lean a bit to the left and then all the way to the left for example. It would certainly be a strong improvement and give boxing on the outside some more life.

I'm not a game designer and can't really contribute to control scheme and all that stuff. But as far as what's ideal... It's 360 head movement. I don't really understand why anybody would disagree with that. Whether you think it would add enough to the game to be worthy of doing it that way is another discussion (one I'm sure I and others are happy to have). But it's still best case scenario.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:

The Controls are perfectly fine once you've adapted to them IMO.

As for headmovement, it's the distance of slips vs the control of 360* headmovement.

Example, McGregor v Alvarez, a nice and easy one, before McG lands that 4 punch combo, he twitch slips at Alvarez jab (or cross, can't recall) by moving his head back, maybe an inch, maybe 2, just to make Alvarez overextended, then Bap.

Emulate this in UFC 3 and Connor swings back 6 inches no matter what.
That's partially where my issue lies, there is no range control on slips, there are no short/long slips really, there are short/long lunges, but essentially a fighter can only sway in 4 directions and can only do so at full extension.

This is why I kinda think full control would be better, as we have total range control on our slips, I have several moments in the beta where I'd slip punch A and be caught by punch B resetting from a slip or as I throw my counter as I've slipped the punch early in the animation and then kept slipping when I should be reactively countering.

I'd happy take a compromise of say, short/long slips, or full control as a secondary option, but I do get you guys have a new system and total control may not work. I don't think total control is utterly required, but I do think we need more control with what we have,

I'll openly admit I perhaps need to play the full game before cementing my position. Absolutely, but I felt the need for more control over head movement in the beta personally.

Edit: Cain vs Big Nog is another example, Cain is constantly moving his head left-right and right left, but only by a few inches, just in way that makes him hard to lock down and get a bead on, then when Nog does come in, Quick, short slip, 3 punch combo and my heart broke. But that's the type of slipping I believe is missing, short, controlled slips.

Last edited by AeroZeppelin27; 12-19-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #48
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

In FNC you often get in scenarios where you're hurt and you're just trying to move to clear the cobwebs and buy time. In the beta it felt like I was just unnecessarily eating shots in a lot of situations.

In UFC 3, are we able to move like Robbie Lawler did in this barrage against RDA? I didn't see any evidence that we could in the time I spent with the beta, but I'd love to be proven otherwise.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcyv2SJA-cl/

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »