Home

Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Demo #1 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Demo #1 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #209
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezio
The need to fix the throws from the keepers and maybe town down CPU through balls and balls over the top of the defense.
Good points, that GK rainbow toss is pretty comical hehe. I of course meant "don't break completely" and not "don't tweak slightly."
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #210
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
So the tactics work pretty well and are noticeable? That was one my main issues last year was the tactics because no matter how much you changed them the cpu would still drop deep into their own box. I will be looking to replicate Spain/Barcelona's play style as much as I can once the game drops.
I haven't done or seen enough to give a sweeping endorsement. From the changes I made for my team, I was able to see some basic tactics play out on the pitch. I defended deeply and looked for long counters using pace out wide with England. I pressured and went for quick, direct attacking through the middle with Germany. So in that sense, I was mostly able to use the settings to accomplish my tactical goals.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #211
MVP

I edited my team's tactics, pulling the back line back as far as it would go positionally AND setting the defensive line height to 0. The CPU was still lobbing balls over them, my defenders just wouldn't stay back far enough it seemed. Starting to think it's either the CPU team's attack tactics that need editing, or their individual "lobberoony" ratings or something.

Regardless, this demo is unputdownable, wow what a football game. Eagerly checking my mailbox every day to see if my pre-order has arrived yet.

Last edited by Yeats; 08-01-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #212
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
And if one placed comparison shots of both games beside the real thing, I'm guessing FIFA's over-saturated colors would look closer to life-like. Colors in life are not as dull and dead as they are in PES.
Just now watching Mexico/Swiss game, Olympics. I have the broadcast on one laptop, side-by-side with my laptop with the PES 2013 demo running. I was wrong. PES colors and stadium lighting is much closer to real-life, practically spot on actually.

Last edited by Yeats; 08-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #213
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
The demo IS already doing that. The game itself might even be better, fingers crossed they don't decide to "tinker".
I believe there is a second demo coming out. Which means they will be taking feedback from the first demo, then fixing issues and sending out the second one for everyone to play.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #214
Rookie

OVR: 3

"One thing I didn’t see enough is the differentiation in each team’s playing style, especially at 0-0. To be fair, it’s always hard to judge based on a five minute game, where possession stats can get really skewed. But still, playing as England against Germany, in the higher difficulties, I’d like to see the CPU press the issue a bit more. After a goal is scored, however, things get better. The AI pushes its team forward to go for a goal, or marshals everybody back to defend a lead."

This is my major gripe with the game. It just does not feel different enough when playing against different computer opponents. The possession by the computer is atrocious at times. It is disheartening to see the computer give up the ball so easily especially after they just won back possession after not having the ball for a while.

This happened on the Superstar difficulty. In 2012 the computer would never deliberately play keep away. Unfortunately in 2013 this style of play by the CPU seems to be missing again. Neither in the 2012 version nor this demo have I seen the computer complete 5 passes in a row before completing an attack or losing the ball. That is quite poor considering good possession teams should be able to complete many more in a row. It would be one thing if my defense was exposed, but most of the time this is not the case and as a result interceptions come too easily. This is on the hardest difficulty mind you.

Come on Konami! Fix this! Aside from that you have a game with great potential!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #215
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartansocc12
"One thing I didn’t see enough is the differentiation in each team’s playing style, especially at 0-0. To be fair, it’s always hard to judge based on a five minute game, where possession stats can get really skewed. But still, playing as England against Germany, in the higher difficulties, I’d like to see the CPU press the issue a bit more. After a goal is scored, however, things get better. The AI pushes its team forward to go for a goal, or marshals everybody back to defend a lead."

This is my major gripe with the game. It just does not feel different enough when playing against different computer opponents. The possession by the computer is atrocious at times. It is disheartening to see the computer give up the ball so easily especially after they just won back possession after not having the ball for a while.

This happened on the Superstar difficulty. In 2012 the computer would never deliberately play keep away. Unfortunately in 2013 this style of play by the CPU seems to be missing again. Neither in the 2012 version nor this demo have I seen the computer complete 5 passes in a row before completing an attack or losing the ball. That is quite poor considering good possession teams should be able to complete many more in a row. It would be one thing if my defense was exposed, but most of the time this is not the case and as a result interceptions come too easily. This is on the hardest difficulty mind you.

Come on Konami! Fix this! Aside from that you have a game with great potential!
That is sad to hear but that was my problem with last years too I was hoping that was fixed but I guess not maybe this will be fixed for Demo 2, I hope so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #216
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
That is sad to hear but that was my problem with last years too I was hoping that was fixed but I guess not maybe this will be fixed for Demo 2, I hope so.
Since Konami removed individual player tactics/assignments a few years back, the game has lost much of its customization potential. After months of experimenting and testing, I was finally able to get CPU teams in FIFA 12 playing differently, and one reason had to do with the ability to customize each CPU player's attack/defend assignments.

I love a lot about the gameplay in the PES demo, the most sim-football experience ever IMO. But after playing around with ratings and formation edits, I can already see there's probably very little one can do about getting teams to play much differently than they already do. I don't believe there are enough tactic and formation modifiers in the game to compensate for the individual player customization options they removed from the game three years ago. (And last year as well BTW when they removed additional and IMO critical player ratings from the game.)
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »