Home

Advice Needed: Learning Curve

This is a discussion on Advice Needed: Learning Curve within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

OVR: 0
Advice Needed: Learning Curve

Could some of the vets weigh in on the best way to battle through the learning curve on playing this game?

I'm new to the series as of last year and I admittedly didn't log a lot of hours. However, I've been trying to play a couple games each night. I'm currently playing on Professional and still having quite a lot of difficulties.

As an example, I just played a game Fulham vs. QPR (cpu) where I couldn't for the life of me stop them from going straight up the field and scoring within the first three minutes. I might have restarted the game up to 15 times, just to see if I could withstand the constant forward pressure from them - and I couldn't.

For the most part they were playing the ball up the wings, and sometimes just using through balls down the center, but it didn't really matter what they did, it lead to goal after goal after goal. I want to say by the half in a 25 minute game, they had 6 goals with at least 20 shots and 15 on target. The had possession for 67% and maybe 95% passing percentage. It was crazy. It didn't seem to matter what I did.

I have picked up on a few things, such as pressing square to call for pressure from my defense, but what else could I be learning/doing to speed up the learning curve.

To be fair, this QPR game felt different, in that they were constantly pressuring me on my side of the field, running around sprinting at me the entire time, so perhaps this was different, but I don't think a 9-0 game, where I lay the controller down at the 70 minute mark should be typical of any game.

Thanks for reading and any help you can throw my way. I do read a lot of the threads here about the various tactics and game plans, but I know I have a lot more to learn about the technical parts of the game play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2016, 01:57 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Advice Needed: Learning Curve

Its hard to say what the problem could be without more information.
What difficulty? Game length? Pass assist level? Formation?

One thing that could also be an issue is your offensive pressure. By double tapping up on the D-pad (ps4) you set your team to play further up the field. There are 5 levels with red being the highest. If you are set to this your defense will be very open to one long pass back so the CPU can have a great scoring break. Try keeping this at the yellow level to start so you have a better balance.

I'm somewhat of a noob at soccer games and I started PES out on normal difficulty 9 minutes using a 4-3-1-2 formation to help me defensively. Pass assists on 1, game speed 2, and NO MANUAL passing and NO advanced through balls. As you get better you can move to advanced shooting and advanced tactics. Also a good idea is to do the training mode to learn some of the basic passing techniques.

Keep using the square button to pressure the CPU but don't hold it constantly or they will just go around you. Try to time it so your players rush in to kick the ball away at just the right time.

My first few games were all fairly close but I did lose some by 2-3 goals, nothing like 9-0 so I assume your settings are the biggest problem. Just check all that and try not to go full offense and you should be OK.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

I really appreciate the reply. In my 9-0 blowout, I did toy around with moving the defensive line (offensive pressure) around and I also switched to having it auto switch defensive/offensive level because I saw that as a suggestion in one of the tactics posts.

Generally I've been playing 4-2-3-1 with Fulham, and I use the default settings, so pass assist on 1, no manual through balls, no manual shooting. As automated as possible as I learn the game.

I'm very much drawn to PES because it does feel like more of a thinking game, which I enjoy. Your tutorials suggestion is well heard and I think I'll start there.

I also believe the game in question, which lead me to posting here, is considered a rivalry game (Fulham v. QPR is part of the West London Derby, but being from the States I have no knowledge of these rivalries) and that may have contributed to the hectic pressure and pace QPC gave on their home field.

Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
Rookie

My defensive strategy is to try to block passing lanes to middle and wait for an opportunity to pressure the CPU.

If my defense gives up a lot of through balls I set my defensive line lower and/or move my defenders lower in defensive formation. If I have understood correctly defensive line level will move the whole formation (including defenders) and moving defenders in formation will change their tendencies to press/drop lower.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

This game is about timing. It's different than FIFA in that, if you make a mistake around the goal, you will be punished 100%. I like the system, but it does get frustrating. Let it be known, I can stop a lot of attacks, but I have problems scoring(I play everything on manual, so that's definitely my issue.)

As you said, pressing square calls for pressure from a teammate. Holding the cross button while chasing a player(within reach) will apply pressure on them, and aren't able to be as mobile as normal, and you will even overtake them.

Positioning and tracking the attacker with the ball,and getting in front of the open attacker in front of goal is also key. These are all obvious things that I know you already know, but it's your exact positioning that is probably the issue.

By exact positioning I mean, if a ball can get across the box to a teammate, on Professinoal or higher, the cpu will often score. Yes, they make mistakes but I find it much more realistic than FIFA in that, it really is up to the player guarding the attacker with the ball. It can be tough to block those passes/crosses, but you need to. You also need to absolutely top them from zig zagging in to the box, for they will score the majority of the time.

I suffered a lot, but knowing I absolutely need to stay on the attacker without breaking concentration was vital to me having fun. I know believe this is an amazing game, that produces great stats and highly exciting and realistic at times football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

Again, thank you for chiming in.

I very much appreciate the insight from others who struggled but then figured out the nuances that lead to quality game play. I'll get a few more games in tonight and report back, if for no other reason perhaps there are others like me that struggle with the learning curve and it may be helpful to share experiences.

I will say the moments when I get scoring chance and convert are very exciting. I can't say many sports games give you a fist-pump moment every time you score. There's just something special about the effort necessary to score and win in this game which pulls me in.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmel07
Again, thank you for chiming in.

I very much appreciate the insight from others who struggled but then figured out the nuances that lead to quality game play. I'll get a few more games in tonight and report back, if for no other reason perhaps there are others like me that struggle with the learning curve and it may be helpful to share experiences.

I will say the moments when I get scoring chance and convert are very exciting. I can't say many sports games give you a fist-pump moment every time you score. There's just something special about the effort necessary to score and win in this game which pulls me in.
Scoring from a brilliant play is highly satisfying in this game. Even scoring a messy goal is satisfying, because it seems much more real than manufactured.

Do you stream? I'd be happy to watch your stream to see what's happening when you play.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #8
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast
Do you stream? I'd be happy to watch your stream to see what's happening when you play.

I've yet to venture out into the land of streaming. Never done it before. Gotta teach an old dog new tricks. I appreciate the offer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »