Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #8849
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

The Lego Movie. Loved it. Great kids movie. Visuals/animation was very good as well.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #8850
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Short Circuit 2. Johnny Five is aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
Old 06-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #8851
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

22 Jump Street. I liked it and it had some funny moments but not as funny as the first one.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #8852
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Got movie cash for How to train your dragon 2 and 22 jump street. Think I'm gonna make it a double feature on monday.

Most anticipated movie: Lucy (love Scarlett Jo)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #8853
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Zero Dark Thirty

I've had this on my DVR for almost eight months, and I've finally reserved time to give it a view. It always grabbed me, but the beginning was more of a history that I didn't know about, rather than the movie being the grab for me. In fact, for a 160 minute film, I'd say the first 80 minutes were a pretty slow drag. If we are to call out "pacing issues," it would be in the first half of the film where you're wondering why some of these events were told to a snail's crawl.

I think the problem kind of is that they jump around ten years of timeline, but they narrow each moment down to a single day, or ten minutes of something that happened in a year... then it jumps sixteen months ahead, and from a story point of view as well as a real-life point of view you want to ask what fills the gaps to develop everything. This is only an issue up until we advance to the year 2008 in the timeline. After that, everything went pretty smoothly and I 'woke up' a lot more.

Yet even still, Bigelow played this non-fiction out like I prefer them: nitty-gritty and without the glamour of adding fluff that shouldn't be there. I felt like it was a true retelling, regardless of how close some of the information might have been. It wasn't a conventional film, and to tell this tale I think this was needed. It's a directorial upstaging to her husband's recent works, IMO. She knows how to capture the light of what's going on as if you're there, almost like Paul Greengrass. She was also very good [both with this film and The Hurt Locker] at keeping politics out of the way as much as possible. That's strange to say, because these films are all about politics. But she won't rub end-spectrum viewers the wrong way. She merely tells it as it is, in an objective way. Perhaps I should give Boal (the writer of both this and THL) some credit alongside that as well.

Pretty great film if not for anything else than showing somebody what they didn't know about the pursuit of Bin Laden since September 11th, because I was truly oblivious to all of it. As far as Best Picture talk, I think it is simply commended for presenting some pretty controversial/trivial material for casual audiences, but at the same time it is awarded a berth for using such easy 'Oscar bait' material at the same time. Because of the quibbles I have with the first half of the film, I'd say it didn't have the strongest writing. Acting was just fine, though I wouldn't say Chastain was the best actor/actress in the film at all. I won't be re-watching it anytime soon, but if I popped in on somebody watching it and it was in the latter half of the film, I'd sit down and enjoy it with them.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #8854
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Batman Begins

Hadn't watched this in awhile, but it holds up really well. I think it's a lot better than TDKR and closer to TDK than it gets credit for.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #8855
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
Batman Begins

Hadn't watched this in awhile, but it holds up really well. I think it's a lot better than TDKR and closer to TDK than it gets credit for.
This has always been my favorite of the trilogy, seems to have a lot more replay value for me at least. Liam Neeson was a great Ra's Al Gul.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #8856
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Think Like a Man (the first one).
It was good. Im surprised I liked it so much. It had its message and didnt get too wild with it. Im glad it wasnt a Tyler Perry presentation in that respect.

We are the Millers
It was funny. Jennifer Aniston looked good.

Disconnected
I had never heard of this movie so Im gonna assume it was an HBO original. Correct me if Im wrong on that. It was about the various ways the internet can ruin lives from cyberbullying to identity theft. Had a very Crash feeling to it with the interconnecting stories. It was alright. If you have nothing better to do, Id recommend it to pass the time. Paula Patton is in it which normally would be great except she spends most of this movie crying and sweating, yo soy disappoint.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »