Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #12625

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

The Thor movie from last year I found was better than the previous one. Story wise it was alright, but it was more entertaining and funny than any of the other ones. All the one liners in the movie were great.

Coolest moment(s) in the movie:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #12626
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

Watched two movies yesterday, disappointed in both!

The Strangers Part 2.
Just horrible, so many things about this movie made no sense at all.
It wasn't really scary. Just a family of 4 trying to hide or outrun a group of murders.
Don't waste your time with this on.
2/10

Tag.
Really disappointed with this one too, I thought it would be way funnier!
Not much to really talk about with this movie, if you saw the previews you saw all the funny parts.
3/10
Old 07-13-2018, 01:53 AM   #12627
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Unfriended: Dark Web

BRIEF REWIND:

I rented Unfriended through Redbox and saw it with a date, and I'll give it kudos that we did not turn it off and even talked about it afterward. I can't in all good faith call it a good film, but it was the first of its kind that I had seen and I merely tolerated it. Unfortunately it fell into a lot of issues that start and end with the characters/actors, and the teeny-bopper horror elements that leave you laughing and eye-rolling almost as if they intentionally wrote and directed it that way made it extremely mediocre, forgettable, and worst of all passable. What seemed like it was serving its style as nothing more than a cheap gimmick, I easily would only rate it a 4/10, but I was on board as I watched it and it did not turn me away from seeing a sequel.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PRESENT DAY:

I didn't know anything about this sequel going into it, never mind the fact that I didn't even know it was a film until yesterday evening. But when the pre-screening invite fell into my lap, I bit the bullet and hoped for the best even though I planned for the worst. Needless to say, this was a pleasant surprise. Before I go on, I'm going to admit that this is probably getting an extra star or two just for the surprise factor alone (kicks this up to a 6.5 and rounding it up to 7).

I totally understand why this film has the 'Unfriended' tag: it's a found footage screencasting film where an anonymous intruder joins a Skype group chat, and torments them as a result of their past mishaps onto intruder. This is where the premise similarities end, though. This is not only not a story continuation of the first film in any way (you can watch this without watching that and you won't lose a single beat), but this also does not have a supernatural element, and although Facebook may be one of the applications in the film it has nothing to do with unfriending somebody through it. Though if this film just had the title The Dark Web, people would hark on it for being too similar to Unfriended, so they were stuck. This can either help or hurt the film because I know a lot of people who won't see this on the name alone, but you may be mistaken by passing it up.

As I said before, this isn't bogged down with anything supernatural. That's not to say it's the most realistic thing in the world either, but if you suspend enough disbelief you can feel that it has a lot more grounding to it. This is the first plus. There's nothing wrong with supernatural horror flicks, but the first film holds a strong stigma around Facebook that it just couldn't be taken seriously. At least they did it better than Friend Request, but that's still not saying much. This circumvents that completely. Everything involved is through the power of individuals, all of which seem to be very computer-savvy, but making that decision won me over significantly more. I'd say it teeters more toward the suspense/thriller genre than it does the horror genre, and for this that can only be a good thing. Just don't expect anything scary so to speak, though there are a couple of disturbing ideas that only strengthened the film's mystique.

This also had some clever writing. Compared to the original, it's just nice to know that there was some actual thought into telling this story and not just throwing it out the window. The way the plot develops may leave you very curious as to how some items are slowly discovered, and some small nuggets (as well as character traits) throughout the film play a larger part by the time the credits roll in a fascinating way. Can't say I didn't like how things went down, but what's interesting to me is that halfway through watching it you could have predicted a million ways they should have done the back-end, and even if you ultimately feel they didn't go the route you may want it's still ahead of the other film on potential and wonder alone.

Unfriended: Dark Web grabbed me pretty fast with the relationship between two of the central characters. I cared enough about the situation to be concerned for their well-being. I can't necessarily say the same for the other characters. One was a little annoying but you grew into the personality, two were kind of bland (but one outshined the other both with acting and backstory), one was wasted entirely to the point that wanted more from that one than any of the others, and one was compelling but served the plot exposition and advancement so well you could nearly call out "deus ex machina" at times, because that character also has no development. It kind of worked out though because the "main" character (the screen we're watching all the time) mutes them or goes to different windows for long times on end. Neither the film nor the characters were that funny either, but the film didn't try to be funny too often either; wasn't laughing with them, but thankfully I also wasn't ever really laughing at them. The first film had laughable characters that were unlikable to the point that I couldn't wait to watch them be killed.

Those who read my reviews know that I like to be vague so you can enjoy the film for yourself without still really knowing anything about this film, so that is where I'll leave you regarding content. Most of what I mentioned was the good stuff, and some of the lesser things in the film for me lie in parts that would probably spoil too much. I'd say they still make some decisions in the sequel that make me think they didn't learn everything from making the original, but they definitely self-corrected so much, probably more so than going from Annabelle to Creation or from Ouija to Origin of Evil.

This film also did one more thing for me: it made me realize that the found footage screencasting sub-genre is one that can actually work and be used more and more. It is very inexpensive and tailors perfectly to our generation around the social media realm. I thought it was far too gimmicky in the first film, but then I saw the film Searching and found how it could be used correctly... and just a short two weeks later I can clearly say that in the right hands there is enough creativity there to do more and more things. That being said, I liked Searching more as a film but I can't say that I would have liked it as much as I do if I saw it after seeing Dark Web. I think the novelty of the filming style meshed so well with the story and really grabbed me, and this was entertaining enough overall that I didn't care I was seeing this style again. I think seeing it in the other order might exhaust me to see Searching second. So, here goes: I recommend you see both films, but if possible I recommend you see Searching first to get the best bang for your buck. Unfortunately it releases in a few weeks while this releases just next week.

Do as you must, but ultimately I suggest you give this one a crack and you may leave as surprised as I was.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #12628
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Watched A Quiet Place last night. As someone who doesn't really like scary or even suspenseful movies, this one blew me away. 10/10.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #12629
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Just saw this with the family yesterday. Not too bad. Plot was a little blah but I mean it's still dinosaurs so I'm always in. Few cool little twists that added some intrigue. Blue is awesome. And baby raptors are super cute lol. Pratt and Howard play well off each other. So all in all a fun time.

8/10

Last edited by tdawg3782; 07-14-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #12630
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Watched a handful of movies over the last few weeks.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

It was okay. Nothing special. Visuals in 4K/HDR were amazing. But that's about it. Cara Delevingne was the highlight as far as I'm concerned lol.

6/10

The Dark Tower

This was also okay. I know there are a ton of books (haven't read any) so felt that this could have been a longer film to flesh out more of what was going on. But I enjoyed it for the most part.

6/10

Happy Death Day

I really enjoyed this movie. It was basically Groundhog Day (one of my all time favorite movies) mixed in the horror scene. The lead actress was solid and I just really liked the concept and how it was done. I actually called who the killer was about half way through but the movie did an excellent job of making me second guess myself to the point I had changed my mind. I recommend completely.

10/10

Rampage

FYI I'm a huge Dwayne Johnson fan and will basically watch anything he is in with fogged over glasses lol. This was fun. A typical big action adventure movie. Lots of CGI and destruction. Thought the tie in's to the game were cool and it was just a really fun, sit down and relax, not think to much type of film. Good stuff.

9/10

The Girl on the Train

This one I had been waiting to watch with my wife for EVERY lol. She said she wanted to read the book first but that never happened. Finally watched it myself (I love mystery/suspense films) and was pleased with this one. Nothing extraordinary or out of this world. But it kept me thinking all the way to the very end. Emily Blunt did a fantastic job with her acting as a recently divorced full blown alcoholic. The rest of the cast rounded it out pretty well. Solid film.

8/10
Old 07-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #12631
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Saw Skyscraper. Typical summer action blockbuster with The Rock. The trailer for Creed 2 was awesome.

FYI: Can no longer recommend Movie Pass now that they added peak pricing. A $2.50 - $4.50 surcharge a movie on top of the monthly fee. All the "new" releases are an extra $3.50 for all showings today. The closest theater with "older" movies in 40 minutes away for me.

People that paid annual dont get this fee until their year is up and renew.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #12632
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I'd really like to join the AMC Stubs A-List program, but there aren't any AMC theaters that close to me. The closest one to me is in the city of San Francisco, and normally I either have to deal with rush hour traffic or heavy-ish parking costs. Otherwise the deal really seems great.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »