Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #481
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: What movies have you seen recently? Part 1

Hammerhunker glad I could get you to at least take a peek at some older cinema. I admit the stuff I watch is not for everyone of this generation but if it can help some people to at least take a look at an older movie once in a great while then it's all good.

Anyways today I watched an interesting little movie. I won't go on with a long drawn out review because this is one of those movies you kinda have to see to believe. It's a low rent knock off of You Can't Take it With You (1938) (Great movie BTW) which was a vehicle for Ann Sheridan and included Humphrey Bogart. Bogie doesn't do too much in it but it's definitely a different kind of film for him as it has a stage comedy feel to it. Anyways the movie is called It All Came True (1940) Here's a synopsis for the movie:

Quote:
Nightclub entertainer Sarah Ryan and songwriter Tommy Taylor move in to the boardinghouse run by their mothers Maggie and Norah. Tommy brings along Mr. Grasselli, a "nervous wreck" who keeps to himself.. Sarah recognizes him as the gangster Chips Maguire. He killed a cop with Tommy's gun, so Tommy must now protect him. Grasselli winds up turning the boarding house into a money-making nightclub.
Bogart plays Grasselli and Sarah Ryan is played by the aforementioned Ann Sheridan. This movie is chock full of great character actors. There is some good humor in the movie especially with the high strung sheltered Miss Flint played by Zazu Pitts. The movie also has one of my favorite character actors of all time in Felix Bressart as the washed up Great Boldini who's shown up by his dog Fanto!

The only knocks against this movie I have is that the beginning is a little slow and the ending was too musically heavy (sometimes the music in these movies just don't go over well IMO) but other then that it's a fun little movie that gives viewers an idea of how Bogart was like in his stage days and you get to see some great actors having fun with their parts.

2 1/2 stars out of 5

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #482
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Rented Crank 2. Blah...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #483
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Hammerhunker glad I could get you to at least take a peek at some older cinema. I admit the stuff I watch is not for everyone of this generation but if it can help some people to at least take a look at an older movie once in a great while then it's all good.

Anyways today I watched an interesting little movie. I won't go on with a long drawn out review because this is one of those movies you kinda have to see to believe. It's a low rent knock off of You Can't Take it With You (1938) (Great movie BTW) which was a vehicle for Ann Sheridan and included Humphrey Bogart. Bogie doesn't do too much in it but it's definitely a different kind of film for him as it has a stage comedy feel to it. Anyways the movie is called It All Came True (1940) Here's a synopsis for the movie:

Bogart plays Grasselli and Sarah Ryan is played by the aforementioned Ann Sheridan. This movie is chock full of great character actors. There is some good humor in the movie especially with the high strung sheltered Miss Flint played by Zazu Pitts. The movie also has one of my favorite character actors of all time in Felix Bressart as the washed up Great Boldini who's shown up by his dog Fanto!

The only knocks against this movie I have is that the beginning is a little slow and the ending was too musically heavy (sometimes the music in these movies just don't go over well IMO) but other then that it's a fun little movie that gives viewers an idea of how Bogart was like in his stage days and you get to see some great actors having fun with their parts.

2 1/2 stars out of 5
Pretty obvious you are a Bogart fan. How do you like Jack Lemmon. He is my favorite "last gen" actor. I loved the movie, The Apartment. You have probably seen that one.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #484
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

I watched the Dark Knight again Monday night. It was the first time I watched it again since seeing it in the theaters. I had forgotten how good this movie was and how great Ledger was as the Joker.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #485
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
Pretty obvious you are a Bogart fan. How do you like Jack Lemmon. He is my favorite "last gen" actor. I loved the movie, The Apartment. You have probably seen that one.
If you like Jack Lemon, then you have to see Mister Roberts(if you haven't already).
One of my all time favorite films.

Fulminated Mercury!

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #486
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
I watched the Dark Knight again Monday night. It was the first time I watched it again since seeing it in the theaters. I had forgotten how good this movie was and how great Ledger was as the Joker.
Haha I don't think I would have lived without seeing it 78 times between my first and most recent viewings.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #487
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24

Watched The Prestige last night. Very good movie!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #488
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
Yes well Bogart is my favorite. It's just that I ran into 3 movies in a row that he's in (next is Brother Orchid (1940) which is a gangster comedy that stars Edward G. Robinson, another favorite of mine) Anyways to answer your question, i've always liked Jack Lemmon. No matter what kind of movie he's in he always comes across as the typical guy stuck in strange situations.

He's known for his comedic films but I think he's a very underrated dramatic actor who has done some pretty good dramatic films.

Here are my favorite Lemmon films in chronological order:

You Can't Run Away from It (1956) (Comedy/Musical)
Days of Wine and Roses (1962) (Drama and personally the best role of his career)
The Fortune Cookie (1966) (comedy and first movie with Walter Mathau)
The Out of Towners (1970) (Comedy, the remake with Steve Martin is an insult to the original)
Save the Tiger (1973) (Drama, a bit slow for modern viewers but it's a very powerful movie)
China Syndrome (1979) (Drama)
Mass Appeal (1984) (Dramedy that sees Lemmon as a well meaning priest)
Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) (Drama, the movie that gave his career a 2nd wind)
The Grumpy Old Men movies (Comedy and the best of the latter day teamups with Mathau)
Tuesdays with Morrie (1999) (TV Drama and the last major role of his career)

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »