Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #81
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: What movies have you seen recently? Part 1

Just watched She Done Him Wrong (1933) starring Mae West and a very young Cary Grant. As per usual with Mae West movies there are a ton of double entendres and her wearing form fitting clothing. Also as per usual every man in the movie wants her in some way or another. That's the comical thing about Mae West, she looked like a mid career Bette Midler (appealing but not Hawt) yet every guy wants to smash her!

Anyways the plot is way too convulated to get into but needless to say Cary Grant is not who he seems to be throughout most of the film and it's really interesting to see him at an embryonic stage of his career. You can see the man was destined for stardom. It was also interesting to see how he looked rough around the edges rather then looking immaculate like he did throughout most of his career. It gave him a certain "realness" to him.

Grading it based on other Mae West movies i've seen this is one of the better ones and was actually nominated for a best picture! (at 66 minutes it's the shortest film to ever be nominated)

BTW I'm going to be watching a lot of poverty row/B type movies from Hollywood's Golden Age for the next little while. I'll of course break it up with some more recent fare and A grade classics.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #82
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

@SPTO, is that the one with the 'Come up and see me some time?' line? Gonna add it to instant watch and check it out.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 06-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #83
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
@SPTO, is that the one with the 'Come up and see me some time?' line? Gonna add it to instant watch and check it out.
Yep yep,

It's not a bad little movie and has it's charm. In fact, all of West's movies are pretty interesting to watch if you can stomach the fact that every man falls over themselves to get her.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #84
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13

Angels and Demons: Great movie. Much better than the first. Kept you in suspense until the very end which most movies now a days don't seem to do too well. The acting was good and the cast was even better. Loved the whole clue-to-clue thing. I guess i'm a sucker for these types of movies. Wasn't too short nor to long.

Solid A 9.1/10
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #85
MVP

OVR: 15

Direct TV just had the free movie previews this weekend, and I got to see "Out in the Wild".
I believe it was directed by Sean Penn. Anyways, great flick. It kept me up until 1am.

Best movie I had never heard about in a long time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #86
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

For Father's Day, the fam took me to see Land of the Lost. I, like so many, am a big Will Ferrell fan. Doesn't matter what he does and I will enjoy it. This goes for this movie. If this movie would have been done by anybody else, I would have not liked it.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #87
Banned

OVR: 29

The Dark Knight - decent movie, good acting, good story, decent action. Bale got extremely annoying with his voice as batman, though. Enough to almost make me want to stop watching.

The Assassination of Jesse James... - decent movie again - good acting and interesting scenery. However, it was boring as hell, and since you know what the movie is working towards the whole time, there's literally no suspense at all.

Spoiler

The Happening - Terrible. That's it. Terrible.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #88
Rookie

OVR: 24

I went with my girlfriend to see The Proposal. The story is pretty much every chick-flick, but the acting from Reynolds, Bullock, and their grandma is really good.

Overall, it's pretty decent to go see with your girlfriend or wife.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »