Home

Microsoft has lost $5.5 billion on Bing since launch

This is a discussion on Microsoft has lost $5.5 billion on Bing since launch within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
MVP

Tiko7523's Arena

OVR: 14
Microsoft has lost $5.5 billion on Bing since launch

Quote:
Microsoft has lost $5.5 billion, an average drain of $1 billion per quarter, on Bing since it introduced the search engine in 2009, CNNMoney reported on Wednesday. Despite the losses, Microsoft’s Bing reached a 30% share of the U.S. search engine market in April of this year, slowly narrowing the gap with Google, although comScore’s figures pin the search engine’s share at just 14.7%. Despite the constant drain, Microsoft still has a plan for Bing. During the company’s financial analyst meeting in California recently, Microsoft’s president of online services Qi Lu said his company hopes to use Bing to “reorganize the web” to “change the game fundamentally” instead of taking on Google in a head-to-head dogfight. Read on for more.

“We are able to try things with much more flexibility,” Bing director Stefan Weitz said. “If we make a mistake, it’s not going to take down the company.” Analysts believe Microsoft will continue to lose money, however. “Bing will likely be better than Google over time, but even if it is, users and advertisers still need to go to them,” McAdams Wright Ragen analyst Sid Parakh told CNNMoney. “To be clear, this will take a long, long time to play out. This is something Microsoft will continue to lose money on.”
http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/21/micros...-since-launch/

PSN gamertag Tiko7523
Xbox Live Tag: Tiko7523
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Microsoft has lost $5.5 billion on Bing since launch

That's because nobody uses Internet Explorer... and because Google's search engine kicks so much more ***.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #3
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
That's because nobody uses Internet Explorer... and because Google's search engine kicks so much more ***.
I used bing for the first time the other day by accident. My main draw for google is it's the most simple page you can get.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Not true at all, Internet Explorer actually dominates web browser market share. EDIT: So "dominates" isn't quite the right word anymore, Firefox has a much stronger foothold than I thought, but IE still has a 14-percent market share lead over Mozilla's property (39% to 25%).

The way I see it, if Microsoft wants to make money on Bing, they have to be willing to lose money on Bing, because going up against the behemoth that is Google is no enviable task.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
Not true at all, Internet Explorer actually dominates web browser market share. EDIT: So "dominates" isn't quite the right word anymore, Firefox has a much stronger foothold than I thought, but IE still has a 14-percent market share lead over Mozilla's property (39% to 25%).

The way I see it, if Microsoft wants to make money on Bing, they have to be willing to lose money on Bing, because going up against the behemoth that is Google is no enviable task.
Sorry, it was more of an OS inside joke and sarcasm, because we don't use IE for the most part.

But even still, as you point out, it's in the lead or anything, and people really probably only know of Bing because of the default homepage or that commercial you rarely see. When there is Google, it's tough to really try and compete at all.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 10

I use Bing because I get reward points for searching on it that I can cash in for MS Points.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #7
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

People still use IE...wtf!!! Are we in Bedrock?

And what's a bing? smh
Old 09-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
All Star

p2xgamers's Arena

OVR: 19

I was an avid google user but I now use Bing all the time, just like certain features like the frontpage and where recent searches appear. The reward stuff is pretty nifty too.

My Blog

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »