Home

ESPN 30 for 30 Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on ESPN 30 for 30 Discussion Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #49
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: ESPN 30 for 30 Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
If you're making millions of dollars, you don't spend it all away. Bottom line. You don't even NEED "active" investments. Put your money in the damn bank and let it accrue interest. Live off the damn interest.

I mean, I'm a financially sound person. Anyone making 100k a year even like your friends, should never be broke. That simply should not happen, barring anything truly disastrous. Not in Arizona. 100k in Los Anghelles isn't that much for a family.

It's stupid because these guys have God-given talents and they're WASTING the fruits of their ability. I'd KILL to have even a shred of the athletic talent Michael Vick does because that means I'd probably be in professional sports and making a ton of money too.

I'm sure you know how many people in the real world bust balls every single day, single parents working multiple jobs just to make ends meet, and you have morons like this taking care of their boys, going and partying it up, buying 6 cars and making 50,000 square foot homes, fathering multiple children with multiple money-grubbing whores?

Where's the intelligence? Seriously WHERE is the intelligence. You make that much money, you draw boundaries. If you're going to help family, set the limit. I know there's "being nice", but there's a difference between being nice, and being a weak target.

Maybe that's just me. I lead a modest life. I am, as people on Twitter know, a fan of taking care of keeping fiscal houses in order overall. I don't need fancy cars. I don't need three closets full of clothes or jewelry. I don't need to go to the club and drop 25k on any given occasion. That's just stupidity. It's straight up, pure, unadulterated stupidity. Who the **** invests in the **** these guys invested in? How DUMB can you BE?!
Can't say I disagree, the investments those guys made just weren't good ideas... at all.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #50
Th* H*mb*rg*r P*mp

TarHeelMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Too often, the problem is that the guy doesn't want to be viewed as a "sellout" or as having turned his back on the people that were with him when he didn't have anything... Which I understand to a certain extent. But just because I made it doesn't necessarily mean YOU made it, too... Just because you hanging with me, and I buy myself a Porsche, don't be looking for me to drop bread on one for you too. I don't care if we're eating at Applebees, don't think cause I'm sitting on millions that every time I have to foot the bill just because I can afford it.

It was crazy seeing how Bernie Kosar's own pops pimped him out like that for a cool milly on the side. Family will be the first ones to take you out if you come into some money. I remember this girl that I worked with, who was a distant cousin of Julius Peppers, and she told me not to be surprised if he left the Panthers, just to get away from his family. He's from a small town in NC, he went to HS, college, and started his career in the same state. Family members were always at him about some kinda handout, and his moms had to shut that down. So he wound up in Chicago, and I wasn't even mad about it.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #51
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

One thing I'll disagree with Matrix on is this...you are slighting them by saying it is god given talent. You aren't giving them credit for the hard work they have put in.

For any athlete growing up, to have a shot at being professional, it's not just about size and strength, you literally breathe the sport. Guys like Ray Allen, while we relaxed and played games and watched TV, he was out shooting jump shots probably every afternoon. That's hard work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #52
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelMan
Too often, the problem is that the guy doesn't want to be viewed as a "sellout" or as having turned his back on the people that were with him when he didn't have anything... Which I understand to a certain extent. But just because I made it doesn't necessarily mean YOU made it, too... Just because you hanging with me, and I buy myself a Porsche, don't be looking for me to drop bread on one for you too. I don't care if we're eating at Applebees, don't think cause I'm sitting on millions that every time I have to foot the bill just because I can afford it.

It was crazy seeing how Bernie Kosar's own pops pimped him out like that for a cool milly on the side. Family will be the first ones to take you out if you come into some money. I remember this girl that I worked with, who was a distant cousin of Julius Peppers, and she told me not to be surprised if he left the Panthers, just to get away from his family. He's from a small town in NC, he went to HS, college, and started his career in the same state. Family members were always at him about some kinda handout, and his moms had to shut that down. So he wound up in Chicago, and I wasn't even mad about it.
My friends brother went to school with Peppers' nephew. He's currently one of the highest ranked kids in the nation, Jibril Peppers. I watched one of his games last year, dude's ridiculous for that age.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #53
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

In case anybody missed it and wants to watch it:
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #54
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
One thing I'll disagree with Matrix on is this...you are slighting them by saying it is god given talent. You aren't giving them credit for the hard work they have put in.

For any athlete growing up, to have a shot at being professional, it's not just about size and strength, you literally breathe the sport. Guys like Ray Allen, while we relaxed and played games and watched TV, he was out shooting jump shots probably every afternoon. That's hard work.

Oh of course. Didn't mean to begrudge them on their work. But that's what it is. You have the God-given talent, and you work hard to make it a reality.

All the hard work in the world wouldn't get me to hit a 90mph fastball or go 7/9 from 3 in an NBA game or throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs in an NFL game. Why? Because I don't have that ability whatsoever. I don't think I could put up those numbers in a ****ing little league game.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #55
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

I'm hearing you guys on this issue. I agree that they should save there money and not spend like what they are doing but they are just like any person you know that struggles with money and that's a lot of people.

Even on this board, I see the new purchase thread and people are buying every single video game, blu ray, new shoes that are over 100 dollars, new tv's and they are putting it on credit on top of that. Do we ever tell each other, "wow that was stupid, you sure you should have bought that?" No we don't, we congratulate and like each post and approve what we purchase knowing its stuff that is not necessary. Is it any different for pro players? The difference is that you buy a video game they buy a diamond watch.

People often save up there money so they can buy stuff that really don't need and should be saving for the future. Do you really need that new electronic or that new tv when your tv was fine? How many people are showing off their iphone 5 or gs3 at your work? Everyone wants the newest phone and pro's want the newest super car.

Can you honestly say right now anyone of you if you lost your job tomorrow that you can support yourself for 3 or 6 months? Not a lot of people can say that. It takes discipline not to spend your money and put it in a bank and let it grow. If you can, congrats to you for working hard to save money. It is hardwork especially with a society that's so bent up on buying the newest thing.

I passed up on so many times going out, buying the newest game or going to games because I know its not important now. I'm glad I figured that out now before its too late. I can lose my job anytime but I'm glad I've saved enough where I can support my self for a year if that happens. Now that money is going towards starting a business.

I'm super glad that my dad taught me young the value of money and saving. I had good amount of years where I wasn't disciplined and bought whatever I wanted because I could afford it and one day it clicked when I looked at my account and I saw all the money I earned kept going out to stuff that I didn't need.

The point I'm trying to get across is that its easy to point fingers at these guys for making mistakes with their money but look at yourself first and ask yourself if you are financially stable and able to making smart decisions with your money. Do you save a third of what you make per year?

Matrix, you mention you can put money in the bank and live on interest but do you do that? I can do that but I would be living in a trailer park or an apartment in the ghetto. I know I wouldn't do that and most people wouldn't.

A lot families mortgage is either a quarter or half of what they make in a month. Why wouldn't you think an athlete would do the same? Its not just athletes with this problem. How many people you know foreclosed there homes in the last 5 or 6 years? I know TON. People were buying houses and getting approved for loans they couldn't afford.

I was lucky to not be part of that and bought a house more than two years ago with a low interest rate. I don't pay a single dollar of my own money to pay my mortgage or utilities, my 4 roommates do. I even charge them less than market rate for a room and I still make profit every month and I live free.

I'm glad this movie came out not because we can point and shake your head at them for what they are doing but to learn from their mistakes because they represent regular America with bigger bank accounts. I'm going to think of this movie as much as I can when I look at something that I want to buy and it would put even a slight strain on my bank account and hope I don't press that Pay Now button.

If anyone wants a challenge, don't buy anything you don't need for 1 month. No games, movies, going out to eat. Pay your bills, buy groceries and put away the rest. You'll see how much money you're really wasting.
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #56
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Yeah, I dunno man. I don't have a job so I'm basically throwing stuff on credit if I have to. My spending habits have changed drastically since I've been out of work. Never had a "permanent" full-time job anyway. Not when I'm graduating into this economy, lol.

I get ya.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »