Home

Cord cutting

This is a discussion on Cord cutting within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #65
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Cord cutting

What might the best option be for a home that has multiple tvs (all HD) located throughout the house, so hard wiring all of them to the router is not an option? I know that for these services you need on "main" tv to wire into...but what if you have 3-4 other tvs in the house? Always assume wi fi will be unreliable at times...

Thanks!

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #66
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
Add YouTube to the competition now. YouTube TV is coming soon for $35/month. If it will actually get me CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX, I will finally get rid of DirecTV. Just got the PS Vue trial today, gonna see how that goes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/t...ectv/98551276/
Why can't you get those channels with an antenna for free? Or is that just a perk that other online options don't offer?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #67
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
What might the best option be for a home that has multiple tvs (all HD) located throughout the house, so hard wiring all of them to the router is not an option? I know that for these services you need on "main" tv to wire into...but what if you have 3-4 other tvs in the house? Always assume wi fi will be unreliable at times...

Thanks!

C
Most if not all major providers have wireless box options now. I've used Uverse and DirecTV's options and have never had issues with it cutting out. Uverse for example has a small box that comes off the main modem that sends the signal out to the other boxes. The main DVR stores all recorded content, but other boxes can access it.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #68
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa

Thanks!

C
Are you talking streaming or cable? My cable DVR has the main box downstairs and the upstairs one just connects to cable in that bedroom and can watch the recorded programs.

For streaming, you'd need internet at each tv somehow (Fire/Chromecast/Roku/SmartTV)...if wifi isn't dependable you can either upgrade to a mesh type system that might help that, or try one of the land line things...

I know CenturyLink offers a wireless box too, but those do depend on range from the main box I believe. I don't have that option and just go with the ones that plug into the wall or wifi.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlNachos
Why can't you get those channels with an antenna for free? Or is that just a perk that other online options don't offer?
I actually did order an antenna that will arrive today, the only downfall for the antenna will be no DVR as I'm not going to invest in a DVR that will just record shows from the antenna.

I'm really torn what to do now between PS Vue and Cox bundle. The one advantage I can see with PS Vue is that I can have it streaming in multiple rooms for the $35/month. The Cox phone/cable bundle with every channel will be $30 but I believe I would have to get another box or two to watch it in other rooms which will then make it more than $30/mo.

There are some downfalls to cable/PS Vue vs DirecTV as well including no Sunday Ticket and different TV times. For example, I could watch WWE Raw or WWE SDL here in Arizona at 5/6 PM live as it airs vs on Vue/Cable I'm going to have to wait until 8 PM when it will already be over on the east coast...
Old 03-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #70
Go Wings!

Quote:
I actually did order an antenna that will arrive today, the only downfall for the antenna will be no DVR as I'm not going to invest in a DVR that will just record shows from the antenna.

I'm really torn what to do now between PS Vue and Cox bundle. The one advantage I can see with PS Vue is that I can have it streaming in multiple rooms for the $35/month. The Cox phone/cable bundle with every channel will be $30 but I believe I would have to get another box or two to watch it in other rooms which will then make it more than $30/mo.

There are some downfalls to cable/PS Vue vs DirecTV as well including no Sunday Ticket and different TV times. For example, I could watch WWE Raw or WWE SDL here in Arizona at 5/6 PM live as it airs vs on Vue/Cable I'm going to have to wait until 8 PM when it will already be over on the east coast...
Also, if you stream that much more do you need a higher data package with Cox or whoever provides your internet?

I have Cox and if you don't need the DVR access in other rooms they have a cheap mini box that we get for free for 1 year, and it's pretty cheap after that (under 5 bucks a month I think, but don't know exactly). You get all your channels but no on demand or anything. Works great for our guest room, in our bedroom we have a DVR capable one and the main box in living room for DVR. I'm usually able to get Cox down enough in price where it's just worth keeping it (especially for ease of use), but with all the new streaming options coming I may eventually change.

We also might move this year to a house better for our life now, so that could make it easier to get the good HD antenna signals than what I have now.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Also, if you stream that much more do you need a higher data package with Cox or whoever provides your internet?

I have Cox and if you don't need the DVR access in other rooms they have a cheap mini box that we get for free for 1 year, and it's pretty cheap after that (under 5 bucks a month I think, but don't know exactly). You get all your channels but no on demand or anything. Works great for our guest room, in our bedroom we have a DVR capable one and the main box in living room for DVR. I'm usually able to get Cox down enough in price where it's just worth keeping it (especially for ease of use), but with all the new streaming options coming I may eventually change.

We also might move this year to a house better for our life now, so that could make it easier to get the good HD antenna signals than what I have now.
I have Cox Ultimate for $99/mo which is the highest/fastest they offer in my area because Gigablast hasn't made it's way over here yet (Peoria). I've only gone over my GB data limit once which was in January but in Feb I think I only used like 20% of it. My business will be open soon so I'm not going to be at home nearly as much so it definitely won't be a usage issue.

That's why the bundle is so attractive; I'm already paying $99/mo for internet. But my DirecTV bill credits expired and DTV jumped from $79/mo to $122/mo. So paying $221/mo for internet/TV is just ridiculous. By getting PS Vue + antenna, my bill drops to $134/mo for both. Then I see Cox is offering the internet I already have, 320+ channels of cable (including all locals so I won't need an antenna), and a landline (I have verizon yet get ****ty reception in my house) for $130/mo for year 1, $150/mo for year 2, and then I think it jumps to over $300/mo year 3 which I obviously will never pay for. Just a tough decision...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #72
Go Wings!

Quote:
I have Cox Ultimate for $99/mo which is the highest/fastest they offer in my area because Gigablast hasn't made it's way over here yet (Peoria). I've only gone over my GB data limit once which was in January but in Feb I think I only used like 20% of it. My business will be open soon so I'm not going to be at home nearly as much so it definitely won't be a usage issue.

That's why the bundle is so attractive; I'm already paying $99/mo for internet. But my DirecTV bill credits expired and DTV jumped from $79/mo to $122/mo. So paying $221/mo for internet/TV is just ridiculous. By getting PS Vue + antenna, my bill drops to $134/mo for both. Then I see Cox is offering the internet I already have, 320+ channels of cable (including all locals so I won't need an antenna), and a landline (I have verizon yet get ****ty reception in my house) for $130/mo for year 1, $150/mo for year 2, and then I think it jumps to over $300/mo year 3 which I obviously will never pay for. Just a tough decision...
I only have gotten close when i was downloading a lot of games digitally (reloading a new xbox), I think I'm 100GB or something, maybe 200GB on Premier. It's been fine so far.

I've always had luck in Cox cutting the price when I make sure to call, they'll get me down enough to where the ease of use for my wife is worth a little more. It's a tough call though, I see Tivo Roamio DVRS with lifetime service go on sale regularly and that'd help for normal channels. Add on their other boxes, or just stream in other rooms, etc.

What sealed it for me a year ago or so was hearing how the services have hiccups often (even recently, tech bloggers were complaining about being unable to watch Walking Dead when it came back on Sling)...I know that'll get better over time, but sticking with what i had made more sense.

Plus our tv is always on with kids shows during the day....if we both worked and wasn't on during the day that'd really make it more tempting

Last edited by mgoblue; 03-06-2017 at 01:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »