Home

Poll: So where does VC/Sega go from here?

This is a discussion on Poll: So where does VC/Sega go from here? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Where will ESPN NFL Football Go from Here?
Not make a 2K6 game 43 22.75%
Pursure AFL or CFL license 16 8.47%
Make 2K6 with fake teams and players 72 38.10%
Make 2K6 named after a superstar player 22 11.64%
Other 36 19.05%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2004, 02:25 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Poll: So where does VC/Sega go from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeist
Actually VC has no other choice but to put out a pro game w/o the NFL license because they're half way through its development cycle and would lose too much money. At least they could get most of their money back releasing a game I and almost every ESPN fan would buy. Add to that all the people mad at EAs move plus them dumping Madden too. A non NFL licensed game by VC still has a good chance of out selling EAs new game w/o the Madden name behind it.

If you follow the game industry alot though there are a TON of games that are halfway or 70% finished, or even in some cases 100% finished, that for reasons like this never get published. Yes it's true Sega would lose some money but they'd also lose a ton more money if they go ahead and spend massive publishing fees, distribution fees, etc and the game doesn't sell well.

I don't think they'll release it because they'll probably want to stop the "bleeding" as much as they can, ie spending even more money now and not gamble highly on a non-NFL product which in the past has shown to be a very poor seller (need I remind you that the year EA didn't get the NFL license and NFL QB club did that even the mighty Madden got clobbered?).
Old 12-19-2004, 10:47 AM   #34
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
I hope to god Sega does make a college game. I'm sick to death of EA's NCAA. Year after year, we beg them to improve the CPU running game and they never have. I'd love to see a 2K style running game and year-round recruiting like in College Hoops. NCAA Football used to be my favorite football game, but I think it finally jumped the shark this year.
You capitalize 'Sega' but not 'God' ? I see whee your priorities are! Just kidding. Does everyone here really think they will still have the ESPN licensing if they make a fake NFL game? The ESPN network may be EA's biatches but I just can't see them allowing their name and emplyees being in a game with players such as "Jones #4" quarterbacking the Green Bay Stuffers.
Does everyone remember that Tecmo Bowl did not have real NFL licensing and just went by city names? Yet it is one of everyones all-time favorites. Make a good game, and I will buy it. I am very upset over this whole deal, but there is nothing I can do evcept for NOT buy EA's football next year or any after that. I am not one to boycott or never buy any EA product again, I am not that naive, but this whole monopoly thing sucks and I can see them taking this the way of PGA and it's Tiger Woods game, which used to be fairly realistic and "tame". Simply make it as cheezy, hip-hoppy, cartoony as possible, but give people no other choice and they will have to like it. Though for me I still prefer Links 2004.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeist
Actually VC has no other choice but to put out a pro game w/o the NFL license because they're half way through its development cycle and would lose too much money. At least they could get most of their money back releasing a game I and almost every ESPN fan would buy. Add to that all the people mad at EAs move plus them dumping Madden too. A non NFL licensed game by VC still has a good chance of out selling EAs new game w/o the Madden name behind it.
What? I won't buy it. I know 5 others who are diehards who won't buy it. I am sure ther are 10,000 others who feel the same way. If not that petition (which would have done nothing anyway) would have a hell of a lot more signees than what it does now! Your sadly mistaken friend. You must have relatives who work for Sega!

As for the game itself....They have been developing an NFL licensed game. Don't you think they may have to change all that? DUH! It would be cheaper just to scratch it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #36
Pro

Chibi's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludacris06
Hey, now that systems have HDD's, VC should consider having a serious editor. Edit jerseys, logos, players, and stadiums to the last detail.
Damn skippy.

Being able to edit that much stuff would probably more than make up for the lack of a license, at least in my book.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:40 PM   #37
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20

Find a Loophole or College

You could just vandalize Ea and steal all there harddrives.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:53 PM   #38
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

they better do something, i rented madden this weekend to see what i have to deal with next year, and it still is just not for me reguardless if espn comes out next year or not. im still playing espn football and its the longest ive played a game for straight without getting tired of it. i dont know what im going to do next year cause madden just isnt my cup of tea.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:22 AM   #39
Banned

IMO the only viable economcally feasible option for VC is to devote itself to a College Football title. AFL, CFL or a NO NAME unlicensed ESPN Football product will not appeal to the types of masses that are need to make a game financially feasible to produce. Hell..ESPN was the better game IMO this year, they marketed the hell out of it..practically gave it away and they still couldn't beat madden in total gross sales...So to think a non-NFL ESPN product could survive is a BIG longshot.

Average consumers are looking for pruduct/name familiarity...In the cyber football world that all important catch phrase is "NFL"...If the game doesn't have that NFL tag on it most people will overlook all the competitors...Speaking for myself..I enjoyed ESPN 2k5 this year...thought it was better than Madden but truth be told if it does not have NFL licensing I won't buy or play it...I'll either play EA's game or no pro football title at all. I'm fickle like that and I have a feeling that alot/most cyber football junkies will not accept a non NFL licensed product or accept iot in a manner that will make it worthwhile for VC to mass produce, market and sell.

In the grand scheme of things I truly believe that most gamers are going to be enamored with wanting the NFL tag on their product and the all important NFL stamp of approval..They want to see their favorite team, stadium, players, uniforms etc. AFL, CFL and make believe players, teams and stadiums will not carry enough support IMO for ESPN to stay in the pro game for 5 years while EA makes a mint on their two name s alone..EA and NFL.

Hopefully ESPN can weather the storm and devote its full attention to a solid college game and a complete online package of leagues and tournaments etc. I simply think trying to keep up with EA in the pro football department at this stage in the game may do more harm than good.

IMO EA won't show us anything new until the next gen systems hit the scene anyway so be prepared next year for a slightly modified version of Madden 2005 ans the new Madden 2006. In reality we may not see a truly new EA NFL game until EA NFL 2007. Alot could happen by that time...I'd like to see EA hire some of the VC producers and staff...Hell, some of those same programmers used to be EA employees way back when...Anything is possible.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:12 PM   #40
Rookie

kidcanada88's Arena

I agree that VC should head straight for the college game, and try and put forward a solid college game, like CH 2k5. EA has pretty much been striding with NCAA football the past couple of years, so I think this is the area that VC could perhaps take the reigns.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »