Home

What's to stop sega from...

This is a discussion on What's to stop sega from... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2004, 04:24 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: What's to stop sega from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Not everyone owns an action replay and the lack sells won't be helped if people have to buy one just to get real looking teams.
Thought of that already. Earlier I was saying:
"Maybe Sega could team up with Action Replay or whatever and create a package of Seag Football + Action Replay hardware. Or include a coupon for a discount on Action Replay hardware.

Then the 2 companies could set up an online server set up for public swapping of replay files (at no charge of course). I think this is very possible!!"

It would benefit both company's really. Both driving each others sales.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:26 AM   #10
Banned

Allowing complete customization gives us--the hardcore gamer--what we want, Sega's sports football has already had the 'hardcore gamer' in there backpocket, spending tons of dev time making the game completely customizeable isn't a viable business solution.

14 year old Craig, who wants to throw touchdowns with Peyton Manning, and break the single season sack record with Dwight Freeney by simply turning the power button on his video game console is not going to choose a game where the only way he gets to use his Colts is through a trivial process of downloads and editing.

Unfortunately the 14 year old Craig is the bread and butter, while us--the hardcore gamer--is only an extended version of the publishers beta-team.

I dont see how Sega can survive without the games quality taking a tradeoff. (smaller dev team, curtailing budget..etc)

Last edited by PlyrzNumber1; 12-21-2004 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:36 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper
Or they could have the real NFL nicknames in the database from Dan & Peter's dialogue, then give us THE NEW feature where we can go in and dictate what they can say.
This one might be tricky to do. I could see them just saying the city names for all references of the teams. This is easier and there are zero copyright issues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2004, 09:00 AM   #12
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

This could work if it was created for the PC but for consoles..
Old 12-21-2004, 10:39 AM   #13
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlyrzNumber1
Allowing complete customization gives us--the hardcore gamer--what we want, Sega's sports football has already had the 'hardcore gamer' in there backpocket, spending tons of dev time making the game completely customizeable isn't a viable business solution.

14 year old Craig, who wants to throw touchdowns with Peyton Manning, and break the single season sack record with Dwight Freeney by simply turning the power button on his video game console is not going to choose a game where the only way he gets to use his Colts is through a trivial process of downloads and editing.

Unfortunately the 14 year old Craig is the bread and butter, while us--the hardcore gamer--is only an extended version of the publishers beta-team.

I dont see how Sega can survive without the games quality taking a tradeoff. (smaller dev team, curtailing budget..etc)
Exactly. Thats why I said in another thread that while I'd easily purchase a non-licensed football game by VC ...I realize I'm in the hilariously vast minority of people who know or even care about the EA/NFL deal and likewise realize that I'm also in the vast minority of people who would buy a non-licensed football game along with OR instead of MADDEN NFL Football 2000x.

Alot of guys are not understanding this at all. They think people on these boards and other similar sites represent a significant number of the consolefootball-buying population but their in a fantasy world because I'd say we make up maybe 4% of that group and THAT might be pushing it. Guys have to realize that a serious amount of research went into this before the deal was made. EA didn't spend those hundreds of millions of dollars to secure the license just so that the competition could still make a profitable football game (Fake pro, AFL, HOF Geezers, College, or otherwise) and stick around for the next 5 yrs. They made that move to wipe the competition OUT. For some reason guys are not grasping this or they simply refuse to accept it.

Last edited by Kanobi; 12-21-2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:20 AM   #14
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6

I agree with Kanobi. This is a power grab pure and simple. And I'm sure that the other game makers, if they could afford it, would have done the same. But what galls me is that EA makes a good football game, but not a great football game, imo. I would be opposed to this deal if Sega had gotten the license, but at LEAST I could take solace in knowing that VC would handle the duties of making the ONLY NFL licensed game for the masses.

For those that cannot see the inevitable doom on the horizon for ESPN and Gameday, please remember what happened to Papyrus when EA took the Nascar license. Papy made simply the best Nascar game period. Their Nascar game was so good, that I am certain that it will outclass anything EA releases for the next few years. Where is Papyrus now? Gone. Hopefully their fabulous team of developers will surface somewhere else on the gaming scene. I just shudder with the thought of VC having to close down because of this. Sadly, this maybe be a foregone conclusion.

I'm glad I kept EVERY version of the 2K series. Something tells me I'm going to need them!
Bubba4
Old 12-21-2004, 12:37 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlyrzNumber1

I hear ya but on the otherhand, 14 year old johnny doesn't mind downloading mods for his HL2, Doom3, etc.. games.

Rumors are that nex gen systems will have hard drives. They will have broadband. So why not. I'm just thinking from Sega's perspective. We're talking about 5 loooong years. That's a long time to give up on football and let's face it, the same little johnny isn't going to buy a pro football game if his teams are not in there, but he may consider it if it's known to be highly customizable.

Next gen games are rumored to be in the ballpark of $70-$80. Then make it $50. Do the same thing that made 2K5 a splash on the scene.

I'm rambling now but you get my drift.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2004, 01:20 PM   #16
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper
I hear ya but on the otherhand, 14 year old johnny doesn't mind downloading mods for his HL2, Doom3, etc.. games.

Rumors are that nex gen systems will have hard drives. They will have broadband. So why not. I'm just thinking from Sega's perspective. We're talking about 5 loooong years. That's a long time to give up on football and let's face it, the same little johnny isn't going to buy a pro football game if his teams are not in there, but he may consider it if it's known to be highly customizable.

Next gen games are rumored to be in the ballpark of $70-$80. Then make it $50. Do the same thing that made 2K5 a splash on the scene.

I'm rambling now but you get my drift.
I don't think mods for PC games are really that huge of a market either...they're really popular, but not in the terms of what EA's shooting for. I agree with Kanobi, your average gamer (about 90% of the market) doesn't want to deal with all that stuff. A lot don't even play online, so they may not have broadband, or the computer knowledge or care to download rosters. I think we take for granted that a lot of us are relatively computer savvy, and actually have computers we use. A ton of people are still using dial-up, which amazes me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »