Home

NPD Sales figures, "Average Joe", and promo ideas.

This is a discussion on NPD Sales figures, "Average Joe", and promo ideas. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #17
Sweettouch

Dame's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: NPD Sales figures, "Average Joe", and promo ideas.

in any competition when your competition is becoming somewhat of a threat you get rid of them before become a problem that what you do in business so that what ea did to sega/TT.

I think this has everything to do with business and to keep their business strong that pull this move the business world is cut throat like that. its the survival of the fittest only the strong survive now we need to just sit back and see if sega/TT can survive and if not we will then see that they wasnt that strong.

we are taught that if you cut the head off the body will fall i think ea thought that espn nfl was the head of sega/tt now its up to TT to show everybody that they wasnt hurt by the blow from ea and stand tall

*all these views are just opions and speculations from sweettouch dont take them to heart but feel free to comment on the above statement*
Old 01-20-2005, 01:09 PM   #18
Pro

KBomber's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
I've heard alot of folks saying that the casual fan doesn't support the 2K series enough for an alternative game to be successful. These forums have been filled with doom and gloom for a little too long. Its time to pick y'head up and stop moping...VC will survive this, no matter how gleefully some folks here will tell you otherwise......
Great post. Well thought out and stated

I hope the gaming community responds to qualitative gaming experiences and not just licensed ones. I'd suggest, however, that the pull of licensing is very strong for most casual gamers, so the trick for Take Two/Sega/VC will be to build and communicate their new brand through a strong marketing initiative.

I was surprised that no one had mentioned how the loss of an NFL license could actually help augment the product from a financial side. Beyond that, I think it also allows for some creative freedom in building elements into the Franchise and on field portions of the game that might not have been allowed previously by the restraints of the NFL license

Have fun..................

What I think I think:
• Y'know, I've never played less NBA 2K than I did with NBA 2K12
• Sports VG titles were REALLY disappointing in 2011-12
• Thank Heaven for ME3 and Arkham City -- saved my winter
Old 01-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braylon
So EA was arrogant AND scared? You can't have it both ways.

EA was never scared of TTWO.

Let me make an analogy for you. Have you ever seen a cow in a pasture? One thing that happens quite often is that a fly will land on the cow's ***. What does the cow do? Does it get scared? Does it run around saying "oh no! oh no! there's a fly on my ***?"

No, it simply swishes the fly away with its tail and keeps chewing its cud.

EA has stated that they could give the game away and it still wouldn't hurt their bottom line. Of course they want to make money on the game, and they make it hand over fist. That's why they charge for it. TTWO lessened their profit, so they made TTWO go away. They swished a fly off their ***.
Braylon. EA was arrogant and scared at the same time. They made an arrogant move out of fear. Sure VC was never a threat to run EA out of business or hurt thier OVERALL bottom line. But EA got an EGO CHECK when VC started producing sports titles that were just as good if not better in some instances than EA's. VC was the first TRUE competitor to come about. EA knew they were leaps and bounds over 989 Sports and the other cheesy companies. VC spooked them. I dont care what you think. If at the very least VC's titles if things kept going how they were going before EA whipped out the checkbook would proably eventually take over the market share (not by much though). EA did what they did to squash a rising enemy and make some extra loot in the process.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #20
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
You are incorrect. There have been MANY posts already discussing other games that have done it including EA. EA never had the player licence for its first hockey game and still used numbers and player likeness. Madden N64 didn't have the licence either. There are certain things Sega can't do but they can put a team in Miami and have #7 under QB. They can include a host of names in the audio database and let us edit the Miami Fish to Miami Dolphins and #7 to Feeley because that's our choice.

EA is the monopoly and should worry about its own lawsuits. Sega won't have to worry about this.

Cool, I hope I'm wrong and your right.

I'm not sure how many of those precedents you mention are relevant though. Things that occurred when the video game industry was FAR less aggressive as a business...

I am sure companies have 'ignored' things like this before. The question I guess is, having invested a tonne of money...will EA just continue to passively ignore companies odviously breaching copyright laws?

Again, times are odviously changing dramatically in gaming circles...and with that, I'm certain will come a lot more legal activity.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:23 PM   #21
MVP

Dondadda's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
So EA was arrogant AND scared? You can't have it both ways.

EA was never scared of TTWO.

Let me make an analogy for you. Have you ever seen a cow in a pasture? One thing that happens quite often is that a fly will land on the cow's ***. What does the cow do? Does it get scared? Does it run around saying "oh no! oh no! there's a fly on my ***?"

No, it simply swishes the fly away with its tail and keeps chewing its cud.

EA has stated that they could give the game away and it still wouldn't hurt their bottom line. Of course they want to make money on the game, and they make it hand over fist. That's why they charge for it. TTWO lessened their profit, so they made TTWO go away. They swished a fly off their ***.

Does being an EA fanboy make your day?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondadda
Does being an EA fanboy make your day?
How am I a fanboy? I am just bringing up some valid points that nobody else is discussing. You all have an irrational hatred for a company that hasn't done anything wrong.

The three most important titles in any given year, to me, are college football, college basketball and hockey. I like EA's CFB and CBB. Their hockey is horsecrap, and that is why I hope they hire away VC's best designers. But hey, it's not my decision. If it means that hockey sucks for several years, oh well.

I have seen people write that they thought about this all day, or that it upset them to the point of not being able to eat and other ridiculous things like that. That's a fanboy. If EA goes out of business tomorrow, BFD. If Take Two somehow puts out some good games next year, I will buy them (like I did this year).

A fanboy owns or plays only the games for his favorite system made by his favorite company. I have GC, PS2 and XBox. I have every basketball, hockey and football game to come out in the past three years (except EA's hockey...I bought the Acclaim ones, but EA's hockey is total garbage). I play them all. I like EA's games best, and they run their business better than anyone else in the industry. Doesn't make me a fanboy.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 18

Some people seem to confuse/equate running a business better to mean increased profits as opposed to putting out the best product. In my opinion a healthy balance must be struck between the two. If a company makes a business decision that sets it's industry back 15 years to increase its profit margin, I don't equate that with running a better business. Running a better business would be pumping resources into a game that has strong competition to compete with that competition and then ultimately defeating that competition. A wise man once said (and I paraphrase)"if you build a better mousetrap then the world would beat a path to your door to obtain it" ea simply is burning down the other houses so that theirs is the last door standing. They are not necessarily concerned with building a better mousetrap. In this scenario the consumer that's wants a better mousetrap (football game) loses, the industry loses,Innovation loses, even the blind followers of ea lose. That is the ultimate point, no one cares about who likes what game better. Gaming itself is what matters.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #24
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
How am I a fanboy? I am just bringing up some valid points that nobody else is discussing. You all have an irrational hatred for a company that hasn't done anything wrong.
By bringing up posts like "Incredible!" as though the EA deal is a good thing IN THE ESPN forum. You are inviting flaming responses. Your posts should have been created in the Madden forums. These "valid points" are made with much joy on your part when a lot of people are upset. While people are upset with EA, they are mostly upset because they think their preferred game may not exist anymore and at best will be only a generic football game. By you taking great pleasure in this in an ESPN forum, how can you expect anything less than bitterness directed towards you. Its clear which side of the fence you sit. No need to keep posting your thoughts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »