Home

EA already thinks that Sega Football is dead

This is a discussion on EA already thinks that Sega Football is dead within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #17
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: EA already thinks that Sega Football is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
The game SHOULD improve. To me, that's to be expected. I would expect any sequel to a game to be better than it's previous iteration. The question is how much more might it have improved in a competition driven atmosphere.

I expect Madden 2006 to be better than 2005. As I expect 2007 to be better than 2006. But if it weren't for VC being around, we'd have no choice but to think the way Madden portrays Bump and Run is all that could be done on a console. When compared to ESPN, we all see it's depicted horribly in Madden. Same with offensive/defensive lineplay. Same with tackling. Same with... well, guess you see where I'm going.
I guess there are two different mindsets a company can go into when producing a sequel.
1. What can we do that will improve our game and really shake up and innovate in the genre?
2. What can we do to improve our game without alienating our fanbase or tarnish the previous title?

One requires playing it safe without taking alot of chances, not breaking from the norm and staying with the same formula or doesn't give that feeling of freshness or a new experience. The other requires taking some risks that may or may not payoff. Trying new things and new ways to please-pushing yourself to the limit.

Imo every 2k title that has appeared on the Xbox has felt completely new and fresh to me while improving a lot of it's faults from previous iterations. I feel Madden has improved as well but each subsequent title has not felt fresh or new to me until the 2004/2005 editions. Knowing there was another quality football title out there was certainly a factor in EA's new found ideas for innovation.

Imagine if you had intimate relations with a partner in the exact same way for years. Maybe it does the job but it won't equate to anything your partner will talk about with friends. Eventually you are going to have to switch it up and try new things if you want to keep them happy or else they will find it elsewhere. Well hopefully by the time next gen rolls around Madden will have a fresher approach.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 01-19-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Imagine if you had intimate relations with a partner in the exact same way for years. Maybe it does the job but it won't equate to anything your partner will talk about with friends. Eventually you are going to have to switch it up and try new things if you want to keep them happy or else they will find it elsewhere. Well hopefully by the time next gen rolls around Madden will have a fresher approach.
Ummm dude...I hate to break the bad news to you so late in the game but ummm....*cough* EA put themselves in a positoin that for the next 5 years they arent going to ahve to switch up and try new things to keep you happy. There will be nothing else carrying the NFL licensce to go to.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:14 PM   #19
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
Ummm dude...I hate to break the bad news to you so late in the game but ummm....*cough* EA put themselves in a positoin that for the next 5 years they arent going to ahve to switch up and try new things to keep you happy. There will be nothing else carrying the NFL licensce to go to.
Umm.dude.....I know this. Maybe what I didn't make clear in the post is that's why I stopped buying their products. I was playing Madden for years up until the dreamcast and 2k. In my post I said I hope they switch up and come with a fresher approach on the next gen. What I didn't make clear is that I know they don't have to. In competition you have to do things to keep your title fresh(to get my cash). With that competition gone I HOPE they have the integrity to keep things fresh. Sorry for the confusion .

Last edited by NINJAK2; 01-19-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverYoung
Quote from an interview between IGN and Frank Gibeau (EA Senior VP):

"They could've won, and if we would've lost, we would be on the other side going 'It was great being in the football business'. [/url]
Umm..that's not him saying that Sega football is dead. He is just saying that if it had happened the other way that EA would probably have abstained from continuing to be in the football market because without an NFL license they would have been out of the football business..

Now if he had said "They could've won, and if we would've lost, we would be like they are now on the other side going 'It was great being in the football business'. then you'd have a point to this thread..
Old 01-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #21
Rookie

MrTennessee's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
EA signed an exclusive agreement w/NASCAR in 2003. Would you say that series hasn't improved? If anything, they appear to be making more of an effort now than they did prior to the agreement.
uh-hunh, they took a serious step back in the depth in their building up your car when you own the thing....Papyrus's Version of Nascar was so good on the PC. I miss them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #22
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTennessee
uh-hunh, they took a serious step back in the depth in their building up your car when you own the thing....Papyrus's Version of Nascar was so good on the PC. I miss them
I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying EA's game used to have a deeper career mode than it does now ( ), or or you comparing the current version of Thunder to the games Papyrus used to make?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:53 PM   #23
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

What he is saying is the things you could do with the car as far as adjustments and such, They removed them completey. The production quality and all the options in the old thunder got removed. Most likely to build up the career mode in the way the career mode of nascar heat's dirt to daytona was.

Now they probably removed everything just for the consoles. The PC version which is coming out soon might probably have all the stuff the ripped out of the console version except like in previous years on the pc version no career mode.

Last edited by catcatch22; 01-21-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:18 PM   #24
Rookie

MrTennessee's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
What he is saying is the things you could do with the car as far as adjustments and such, They removed them completey. The production quality and all the options in the old thunder got removed. Most likely to build up the career mode in the way the career mode of nascar heat's dirt to daytona was.

Now they probably removed everything just for the consoles. The PC version which is coming out soon might probably have all the stuff the ripped out of the console version except like in previous years on the pc version no career mode.
yea thats basically it, they had it going on pretty good for nascar thunder 2003, but this year when i was told i could own my own team i was underthe impression it would take a long time to build my car to perfect tip top shape not in 2 seasons.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »