Home

ESPN Servers Shutting Down On XB - Live ?

This is a discussion on ESPN Servers Shutting Down On XB - Live ? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2005, 11:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
ESPN Servers Shutting Down On XB - Live ?

Does Anyone Know How Long League Play Will Last on XBOX Live? I mean, since EA owns "ESPN", will they have to shut the ESPN servers down? What about the future of leagues? Will that cease? I don't mind playing 2K5 until XMAS, but if this EA deal somehow forces these servers down, I'll be mad! Anyone know anything? I hope we can at least still have league support. That will give 2K5 a longer life even if they (Take 2) make a generic game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2005, 01:12 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: ESPN Servers Shutting Down On XB - Live ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdump66
Does Anyone Know How Long League Play Will Last on XBOX Live? I mean, since EA owns "ESPN", will they have to shut the ESPN servers down? What about the future of leagues? Will that cease? I don't mind playing 2K5 until XMAS, but if this EA deal somehow forces these servers down, I'll be mad! Anyone know anything? I hope we can at least still have league support. That will give 2K5 a longer life even if they (Take 2) make a generic game.
ESPN's deal with EA doesn't begin until 2006, meaning that SEGA has a deal with ESPN for one more year's worth of games.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
ESPN's deal with EA doesn't begin until 2006, meaning that SEGA has a deal with ESPN for one more year's worth of games.
So I assume the 2K6 versions of these games release in 2005 (calendar year), ESPN Videogames has one more year? I thought it was a 2yr agreement beginning with the 2K4 edition. Maybe I'm wrong. This is a good question for some of the bigwigs on this site....What was the ESPN-Sega agreement before EA took the license?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
I'm still amazed that ESPN were allowed to negotiate and publicly announce a deal with EA before their original deal with VC had even expired. That's like Ray Allen negotiating a new contract with the Spurs, hosting a press conference to announce the deal, then playing out the rest of his contract year with the Sonics. Talk about a swift kick in the butt
Old 01-29-2005, 08:45 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

This was posted by the Web_Admin on the official ESPNVideogames-Board:

"Rumor Control
Some of you are wondering what is going to happen to our online leagues in light of the news that EA has signed exclusive deals with both the NFL and ESPN for future games.

Our intention is, and has always been, to make the 2K5 leagues available until the start of the next season for each respective sport. For NFL 2K5 that means the leagues should be available through end of summer 2005. NHL, NBA, and Hoops should be available until late 2005 and MLB leagues should be available until early 2006.

Beyond that, all I can say is that VC is not going away. Stay tuned and stay positive."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Rookie

Thanks...I guess there is time for one more season.....
Old 01-29-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I'm still amazed that ESPN were allowed to negotiate and publicly announce a deal with EA before their original deal with VC had even expired. That's like Ray Allen negotiating a new contract with the Spurs, hosting a press conference to announce the deal, then playing out the rest of his contract year with the Sonics. Talk about a swift kick in the butt
I wonder if there's anything in the contract that prevents that from happening. WOuldn't that be breaking the contract?

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 01-30-2005, 04:59 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I wonder if there's anything in the contract that prevents that from happening. WOuldn't that be breaking the contract?
The ESPN contract with VC was voided as soon as EA got exclusive rights to the NFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »