Home

CPU Passing AI

This is a discussion on CPU Passing AI within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2005, 05:07 PM   #17
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: CPU Passing AI

try bumping up ints to 40 and see. i tried it recently and it seemed that the db's were not blocking every pass like they used to. plus, for some reason the cpu draw really started to work better also.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #18
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster101
This is actually a very interesting post and I like your thinking here bro it is definatly out of the norm from other postings I've read,what you've done is what I've always suspected but could never fully understand.

To me it seems that some sliders actually perform better when they're lower and according to your findings and stats posted here this "out of the box" thinking is something that holds some validity.

Case in point...take a closer look at "Nick Chews" sliders,not dominating or over powering but still along with his set of rosters very very effective.

Now I haven't gone over his latest rosters in detail but am familiar with his previous work and from what I do know they are every bit as good as any I've played with,still with his slider settings being so odd I would question just how did he do that.

Well draw your own conclusions and check them out for yourself in the meantime I'd be interested in seeing just what you used to get these figures you've posted here 55-65% is something I'd like to see for myself.

Holla Back y'all
Rickster101
Well, I left the XBox on all day yesterday having the computer play against itself over and over and checking results. I am still getting the computer to complete 55-65% of its passes, however, I can't really get rid of the interceptions. I am seeing at least 2-3 a game. NFL games see an average of 1.5 so this is still kind of high. I have been using the Saints and 49ers though so maybe it's the QB's. The only rating edits I am using are the following:

- All players with stamina at 99
- All HB/FB/WR/TE catch ratings and run route ratings boosted 15 points with a min of 70.

One of the big reasons for low completion %'s is that there are way to many passes defended. The NFL leader last year had 23, or just over 1 a game. You will see some guys get 5 and 6 a game in 2k5. I messed around a while ago with all the defensive ratings (I did these in separate tests, not all at once) moving coverage down (I actually moved consistency up to 99 for all defensive players and then adjusted coverage down until their overall rating was the same), cut the jump ratings in half, cut the agility ratings in half, and I was still seeing all the passes defended. I guess it's just programmed in the game. With the edits that I made to the HB/WR/TE/FB the QB spreads the ball around more and the guys are more likely to catch it in traffic. Now the sliders I have been using are everything set to 0 except for injuries (19) and fumbles (22). This actually gives you a good game, with good teams beating up on bad teams most of the time, which is what I want. I would like to play a franchise with these but I need a workable version of Finn's editor to edit the whole league.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:46 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

yeah, gamechewover.com and the guys in this forum has done alot of work and I think they got it down.

In general you must...

-severely cut pass read coverage (as was said before, is the one-stop solution to CPU QB's who seemingly always rush for force their throws into coverage. sounds really counter-intuative, but once you try it, you won't go back.)

-increase stamina tremendously (stamina has a enormous impact on consistency and many players are extremely underrated in this category)

-increase catching (min 70-obvious reasons here)

-increase consistency across the board (helps eliminate those "12 consecutive incompletion" games)

-increase pass strength (allows QB's to get the ball into those tight seams, avoiding int's)

-decrease route running (In real football, at all levels, most incomplete passes are not tipped or dropped; instead, they are typically mis-timed throws on the part of the QB/WR, resulting in a pass which looks over/underthrown. Lowering this rating helps to create slightly more over/underthrown passes which miss their target, instead of those which hit the reciever, and are tipped or dropped.
In other words, it helps reduce the rate of tipped passes, hence lowering interceptions)

the sliders play a very secondary role in actually addressing this problem fully, but as was said earlier, please read the previous discussions on this issue. I had the same frustrations with the CPU QB, and have completely eliminated them thanks to these dedicated guys. thanks again
Old 07-23-2005, 07:39 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Well, I left the XBox on all day yesterday having the computer play against itself over and over and checking results. I am still getting the computer to complete 55-65% of its passes, however, I can't really get rid of the interceptions. I am seeing at least 2-3 a game. NFL games see an average of 1.5 so this is still kind of high. I have been using the Saints and 49ers though so maybe it's the QB's. The only rating edits I am using are the following:

- All players with stamina at 99
- All HB/FB/WR/TE catch ratings and run route ratings boosted 15 points with a min of 70.

One of the big reasons for low completion %'s is that there are way to many passes defended. The NFL leader last year had 23, or just over 1 a game. You will see some guys get 5 and 6 a game in 2k5. I messed around a while ago with all the defensive ratings (I did these in separate tests, not all at once) moving coverage down (I actually moved consistency up to 99 for all defensive players and then adjusted coverage down until their overall rating was the same), cut the jump ratings in half, cut the agility ratings in half, and I was still seeing all the passes defended. I guess it's just programmed in the game. With the edits that I made to the HB/WR/TE/FB the QB spreads the ball around more and the guys are more likely to catch it in traffic. Now the sliders I have been using are everything set to 0 except for injuries (19) and fumbles (22). This actually gives you a good game, with good teams beating up on bad teams most of the time, which is what I want. I would like to play a franchise with these but I need a workable version of Finn's editor to edit the whole league.
I with ya on this one. The only edit I make is all players stamina at 99. It has for me fixed everything that is wrong with this game. Stamina it the key to all other edits.

Tim
Old 07-23-2005, 11:05 PM   #21
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

Very interesting thread, and also my biggest complaint with otherwise a fantastic game. Since day one, I have been trying to increase the CPU completion % and reduce the interceptions. I have tried many roster sets, done various edits, and many slider settings. My conclusion: nothing seemed to work.

I wish there was a simple solution, but I really believe it's just something that is hard coded in the game that can't be addressed. The CPU cannot throw the long ball, and regardless of what edits or sliders I try they continue to make very poor decisions and coverage reads. My last game I played I picked off Kerry Collins 7 times. I know he's bad, but not that bad. And I know KC's defense isn't that improved.

It's just shame that there won't be a 2k6 as it would have been nice to see this game flaw addressed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2005, 11:12 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
I really believe it's just something that is hard coded in the game that can't be addressed.
That's what I've observed and come to believe as well.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:18 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Very interesting thread, and also my biggest complaint with otherwise a fantastic game. Since day one, I have been trying to increase the CPU completion % and reduce the interceptions. I have tried many roster sets, done various edits, and many slider settings. My conclusion: nothing seemed to work.

I wish there was a simple solution, but I really believe it's just something that is hard coded in the game that can't be addressed. The CPU cannot throw the long ball, and regardless of what edits or sliders I try they continue to make very poor decisions and coverage reads. My last game I played I picked off Kerry Collins 7 times. I know he's bad, but not that bad. And I know KC's defense isn't that improved.

It's just shame that there won't be a 2k6 as it would have been nice to see this game flaw addressed.
I just have not had a interception problem since I put all players stamina to 99. The passing game is great and the rest is perfect in my book. So I guess I am the only one that has not had this problem. I wish you could see all my data.

Tim
Old 07-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #24
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timathie
I just have not had a interception problem since I put all players stamina to 99. The passing game is great and the rest is perfect in my book. So I guess I am the only one that has not had this problem. I wish you could see all my data.

Tim
Tim,

I have tried upping the stamina to 99, but still don't see consistent results. The QB's still make very poor decisions and make bad throws that lead to INT's.

Glad it's working for you though!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »