Home

Top 5 reasons why Madden fans hate 2K5

This is a discussion on Top 5 reasons why Madden fans hate 2K5 within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Top 5 reasons why Madden fans hate 2K5

Well, I dont know how it happened, but when me and my friend decide to run up to EB saturday, we were suprised to see that they were hosting a Madden tourney. The clerk who works there knows I prefer 2K over Madden and no more than 5 minutes when I was in there, he puts me on the spot. "Thats a guy who likes 2K better". And I swear, I heard a momentary silence over the 20 or so ppl in there. The guys on the gamecube kiosk paused the game and looked at me....naw, did'nt happen like that but all eyes were on me after he said that. I was thrown to the wolves so to speak. So the first thing that comes outta someones mouth is:

1. The running game is to easy.

You gotta be kidding me. I told the guy its only easy on the defualt level. You gotta adjust the sliders to make it more realistic. He then proceeds to say, "I dont mess with sliders". At that point, I made a concience efford not to put to much thought into whatever he says if he's such a casual gamer. He then provides an example.....I ran for 300 yards with such-n-such.....you did'nt hear me, you gotta adjust the sliders. Anyone with common sense would figure a running slider might be a solution for your easy running but for a second, I almost forgot who I was talking to.

2. The players move like robots.

Well, you got me there. I also feel that 2K player move like robots. The running momentum is one of the only aspects of the Madden series I like. I love how if you pull to much to the outside, your momentum may take you out of bounds or touch the sideline. I explained that even though still robotic, the movement was much better in 2K5 compared to earlier games in the series. Where the cpu might juke you with a basic right and left juke that makes you miss from head on. Anyway, I gave them that one but there is more.....

3. The playbooks suck

This was my complaint when I first played the 2K series. I did'nt know what the hell half those plays meant in the playbook. In fact, I preffered the simple playcalling names and schemes of the Madden series back then. "Toss right" was much more easier to find and understand than "HB Z Counter". Until, I looked thoroughly through the 2K in game manual and I learned alot. Not alot...a hellava lot. Soon, the play calling became second nature. They are the exact same plays as Madden, just worded diffrently. I tried to explain this to one of the guys standing around watching the games and he simply said its to complicated. Oh well,you're loss if you dont wanna learn.

4. The graphics suck or Maddens look better.

I got a suprising number of ppl who felt that Maddens player models were better. I could'nt help but **** an eyebrow and wonder what the hell they were smoking....and could I get some of it. One guy said the players are too skinny, another said the uniforms look generic and another said that the players dont accumulate grass stains. O...K..., I usually joke around with my guy and we refer to the Madden player models as "Truck Thomas". So huge, so stocky, so beefy. Ray Lewis looks like William Perry in Madden but hey, whatever floats you guys boats on that one. If you think the player models in Madden are realistic, then I dont need to be talking to you. But last but not least......

5. The Menu's are to confusing and the controls are "weird".

Right...so you gave up on a game because you could'nt find the stat columns. He had no idea how insanely ******** that sounded. My logic to him was that he's gotten so used to EA's style of menu interface that another sports game will definitly confuse him. He said he spent almost a half-hour searching for his depth chart in 2K before he gave up. That just means you're slow. Once again, if you are'nt willing to learn and understand a games controls than why are you playing games in the first place. That complaint makes no sense.

As for the controls, one guy pointed out that charging your player up was "arcade". It was'nt much I could say to counter his complaint on controls besides to just get used to them. Only diffrence in games is that the speed burst controls are diffrent. Everything else is pretty much the same. Timing is diffrent in both games but thats soemthing a little practice could help.

At one point, somebody said that Madden was more realistic. Can you believe somebody actually said this to me? No lie. Every score at the kiosk of games that were currently going on were in the upper 40s. I looked at the tournament brackets and every score was 50-something to 40-something. One guy beat someone 73-21 and one of the games going on was 57-3. You call that real? I mentioned that Madden lacks defense and one guy who was currently playing a game said that he's got defense and he knows how to stop ppl. I asked him "then why does your opponent have 32 points?" He said, the computer gave him those TDs. Which brung me to my last point before I bounced. I said that game cheats up and down and I hate it with a passion. A few others agreed that there is a comeback logic and a few ppl said they did'nt see it. I was'nt gonna argue that one, I left it alone.

But out of that ordeal, I realized that Madden is just like Apple Jacks. Apple Jacks does'nt taste like apples but why do they like it so much? "Ummm....Because we like em"!! Thats Madden summed up in as little a phrase as I can come up with.

Because they like it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Top 5 reasons why Madden fans hate 2K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Well, I dont know how it happened, but when me and my friend decide to run up to EB saturday, we were suprised to see that they were hosting a Madden tourney. The clerk who works there knows I prefer 2K over Madden and no more than 5 minutes when I was in there, he puts me on the spot. "Thats a guy who likes 2K better". And I swear, I heard a momentary silence over the 20 or so ppl in there. The guys on the gamecube kiosk paused the game and looked at me....naw, did'nt happen like that but all eyes were on me after he said that. I was thrown to the wolves so to speak. So the first thing that comes outta someones mouth is:

1. The running game is to easy.

You gotta be kidding me. I told the guy its only easy on the defualt level. You gotta adjust the sliders to make it more realistic. He then proceeds to say, "I dont mess with sliders". At that point, I made a concience efford not to put to much thought into whatever he says if he's such a casual gamer. He then provides an example.....I ran for 300 yards with such-n-such.....you did'nt hear me, you gotta adjust the sliders. Anyone with common sense would figure a running slider might be a solution for your easy running but for a second, I almost forgot who I was talking to.

2. The players move like robots.

Well, you got me there. I also feel that 2K player move like robots. The running momentum is one of the only aspects of the Madden series I like. I love how if you pull to much to the outside, your momentum may take you out of bounds or touch the sideline. I explained that even though still robotic, the movement was much better in 2K5 compared to earlier games in the series. Where the cpu might juke you with a basic right and left juke that makes you miss from head on. Anyway, I gave them that one but there is more.....

3. The playbooks suck

This was my complaint when I first played the 2K series. I did'nt know what the hell half those plays meant in the playbook. In fact, I preffered the simple playcalling names and schemes of the Madden series back then. "Toss right" was much more easier to find and understand than "HB Z Counter". Until, I looked thoroughly through the 2K in game manual and I learned alot. Not alot...a hellava lot. Soon, the play calling became second nature. They are the exact same plays as Madden, just worded diffrently. I tried to explain this to one of the guys standing around watching the games and he simply said its to complicated. Oh well,you're loss if you dont wanna learn.

4. The graphics suck or Maddens look better.

I got a suprising number of ppl who felt that Maddens player models were better. I could'nt help but **** an eyebrow and wonder what the hell they were smoking....and could I get some of it. One guy said the players are too skinny, another said the uniforms look generic and another said that the players dont accumulate grass stains. O...K..., I usually joke around with my guy and we refer to the Madden player models as "Truck Thomas". So huge, so stocky, so beefy. Ray Lewis looks like William Perry in Madden but hey, whatever floats you guys boats on that one. If you think the player models in Madden are realistic, then I dont need to be talking to you. But last but not least......

5. The Menu's are to confusing and the controls are "weird".

Right...so you gave up on a game because you could'nt find the stat columns. He had no idea how insanely ******** that sounded. My logic to him was that he's gotten so used to EA's style of menu interface that another sports game will definitly confuse him. He said he spent almost a half-hour searching for his depth chart in 2K before he gave up. That just means you're slow. Once again, if you are'nt willing to learn and understand a games controls than why are you playing games in the first place. That complaint makes no sense.

As for the controls, one guy pointed out that charging your player up was "arcade". It was'nt much I could say to counter his complaint on controls besides to just get used to them. Only diffrence in games is that the speed burst controls are diffrent. Everything else is pretty much the same. Timing is diffrent in both games but thats soemthing a little practice could help.

At one point, somebody said that Madden was more realistic. Can you believe somebody actually said this to me? No lie. Every score at the kiosk of games that were currently going on were in the upper 40s. I looked at the tournament brackets and every score was 50-something to 40-something. One guy beat someone 73-21 and one of the games going on was 57-3. You call that real? I mentioned that Madden lacks defense and one guy who was currently playing a game said that he's got defense and he knows how to stop ppl. I asked him "then why does your opponent have 32 points?" He said, the computer gave him those TDs. Which brung me to my last point before I bounced. I said that game cheats up and down and I hate it with a passion. A few others agreed that there is a comeback logic and a few ppl said they did'nt see it. I was'nt gonna argue that one, I left it alone.

But out of that ordeal, I realized that Madden is just like Apple Jacks. Apple Jacks does'nt taste like apples but why do they like it so much? "Ummm....Because we like em"!! Thats Madden summed up in as little a phrase as I can come up with.

Because they like it.
well, to some extent i can see where some of these maddenites are coming from. VC was stupid to make the menus, play selection and controls different than madden. There should have been more attempt at making the transition easy. Afterall, people have been used to madden for over 10 years. Example, the speed burst thing is bad. Why do you have to repeatedly mash a speedburst. Also, the playcalling deal where you pull down to get I formation and then you go across to about 7 modifications of the same set. That is overly complex.

The lack of momemtun and robotic movement are the biggest downfalls. The game feels like a game even though the graphix themselves are much better than madden. Smooth movement is huge in sports games to allow a sense of immersion. Also it is very fun to juke people in madden. You really have to give ground to contain an agile runner in madden. Forget about kick off returns or juking people down the field in 2k5.

With all that said, many things are much better in 2k5, such as interaction, graphic detail, blocking, animation count, etc.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Funny story. I recently had a guy in a gamestore tell me, "Madden had better gameplay." The way he said it he had such a serious look on his face, I started laughing. He thought I was laughing b/c I disagreed. Well, I did disagree, but that's not why I was laughing. I was laughing b/c the way he said it, it seemed like he had lot's of practice defending against NFL 2k5. Better gameplay. I wanted to ask him, "How do you define gameplay?" But like Teddy P said, "I had to let it go."

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 08-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
PGH for GTA VI

spacefunk's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
I couldn't help but **** an eyebrow....
This must be a phrase I've never heard of because as I was reading this I was trying to think of what possible swear word fits and drew a blank. Oh well. Other than that it was an excellent post. I'm one of those that enjoys both games and doesn't understand how anyone could love one and despise the other. Same with Coke and Pepsi.

Last edited by spacefunk; 08-01-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:12 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 10

lmao @ people still talkin about NFL 2k5 or anythin into the NFL series...it's OVER...why are ya'll still on this? lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

It's not over when I go pick up a used copy next week.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 08-01-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefunk
This must be a phrase I've never heard of because as I was reading this I was trying to think of what possible swear word fits and drew a blank. Oh well. Other than that it was an excellent post. I'm one of those that enjoys both games and doesn't understand how anyone could love one and despise the other. Same with Coke and Pepsi.

I was saying c.o.c.k an eyebrow. I try to enjoy Madden every year. I live in a house with 2 Madden players so in some way, shape or form, I will play Madden. Its only good for a multiplayer experience IMO. I just wish my guys would get more into 2K5 though. But out of the 3 of us, I'm the only one that regularly watches the NFL. They're just regular fairweather football fans. That explains alot to me.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #8
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPlaya
lmao @ people still talkin about NFL 2k5 or anythin into the NFL series...it's OVER...why are ya'll still on this? lol

So I'm just sopposed to bow down to EA and play they're game since its the only one out right? Not. Updated rosters can keep any game alive.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »