Home

running to the outside

This is a discussion on running to the outside within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: running to the outside

There are 2 things I suggest you try before you go adjusting sliders and/or attributes.

1) Like others have said, add a man to the side you are running. If the defense is loaded towards the side you are running, add an extra blocker. Another option is to audible to a different play. Another little trick is to take a wideout and run him off that side. If they are in man, then there is 1 less defender (even thought you lose a blocker). Sometimes that works for me too.

2) Be patient. I recall that my biggest problem with running in 2k5 was being too impatient. I was still in the Madden mode of bursting outside as fast as I could to beat everyone t the corner. This usually does not work in 2k5 unless you have the right play and right defensive alignment. If you are patient and stay behind your blockers, they ususally do an excellent job of picking up defenders.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Running to the outside isn't supposed to be easy. I think many of us were weaned on EA NCAA games from the late 90s and early 2000s, where you could run outside almost at will. That was unrealistic as hell, not NFL 2K5.
I agree with that. On the other hand, I found running outside to be as impossible as returning a kickoff for more than 20 yards. I personally feel tweaks are needed to allow for the occasional big gain, along with a fair number of smaller gains outside. And sliders would be the first thing to try for sure.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
No they don't always audible. But they audible enough that it's annoying. Plus as I said the CPU seems to always know which direction you're running.

And I'm talking here about the running game. But same thing with passes: audible from a run to a pass, and the CPU will instantly drop it's LB's and DB's back. Now, I know they know I audibled, but how do they know I'm now passing instead of running???
You must be thinking of Madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #12
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk
There are 2 things I suggest you try before you go adjusting sliders and/or attributes.

1) Like others have said, add a man to the side you are running. If the defense is loaded towards the side you are running, add an extra blocker. Another option is to audible to a different play. Another little trick is to take a wideout and run him off that side. If they are in man, then there is 1 less defender (even thought you lose a blocker). Sometimes that works for me too.

2) Be patient. I recall that my biggest problem with running in 2k5 was being too impatient. I was still in the Madden mode of bursting outside as fast as I could to beat everyone t the corner. This usually does not work in 2k5 unless you have the right play and right defensive alignment. If you are patient and stay behind your blockers, they ususally do an excellent job of picking up defenders.

Actually, the blockers do a horrible job at picking up blocks. Maybe its my run blocking sliders but they often run right past the man who is first on pursuit.

Then again, the detailed ratings also have something to do with how good your players block. Especially when it comes to WRs, FBs and TEs. Its hard to find a good WR who can not only catch but throw some good blocks.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM   #13
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I agree with that. On the other hand, I found running outside to be as impossible as returning a kickoff for more than 20 yards. I personally feel tweaks are needed to allow for the occasional big gain, along with a fair number of smaller gains outside. And sliders would be the first thing to try for sure.
I agree with you on the kickoff return issue. No question.

But I get occasional big runs for 15+ yards, especially with good backs. It feels like a realistic amount to me.

Take care,
PK
Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #14
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk

also dont string it out.. there is a time when you have to turn up field its more of a angle I run outside and never really have a problem.. also try it out of I formation.. Dallas has some really good plays designed for sweeps that work great..they have a power I where the TE is next to the fb.. and one WR.. if your running out of a 3 wide or 4 wide there is too many guys to block.. more chances of getting stuffed..

Ace.. Power I are my favorite run play formations
Old 07-31-2006, 04:46 PM   #15
Rookie

spooon's Arena

OVR: 2

is this only against the cpu? on legend i'm pretty good for 100 yards on 5min qtrs on humans. against cpu they cheat a bit.

run the zero sliders and tweak away. with 0 for human blocking and running my counter traps and off tackle dives are so much more fluid. i can actually follow my pulling guards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2006, 05:41 PM   #16
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Actually, the blockers do a horrible job at picking up blocks. Maybe its my run blocking sliders but they often run right past the man who is first on pursuit.

Then again, the detailed ratings also have something to do with how good your players block. Especially when it comes to WRs, FBs and TEs. Its hard to find a good WR who can not only catch but throw some good blocks.
I think it's a mix, just like in a real game. Maybe guys should start posting what particular sliders they're using and if they're also doing this with edited rosters or not, along with the game stats they're getting over a period of time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »