Home

just bought it today...NFL 2K5 that is

This is a discussion on just bought it today...NFL 2K5 that is within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: just bought it today...NFL 2K5 that is

Also what should I get this for PS2, or Xbox. I have a PS2 but my friend has a Xbox but if the PS2 version is just as good I don't wanna have to go to his house to just play the game.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
Honestly, the button mashing is what turned me off to 2k football. It makes sense in terms of breaking tackles but, powering up and filling up meters was dumb imo. In real life most of these things are done instantaneously. If I'm gonna run somebody over I don't power up, I lower my shoulder and go for it. Also, I'm certainly no EA apologist but, Mario running is way overstated on these boards. If you read holes and use subtle jukes the running can be very good. I would sometimes get a chuckle being a former runningback that people didn't beleive that some times there is no hole and you would have to pick and peck or slide. You would get killed running straight up and down "getting skinny" going through holes.
i totaly disagree, holding down "A" for 2 or so steps to gather composure for a power move is a very real gamplay element. ive used this analogy before but: take J. Bettis for example his shoulder charge should be much more effective if he has a few steps free of contact to gather himself for it. as opposed to lowering his shoulder in a split second response while running. If he knows he is going to meet a LB and has those free steps to load up LOOK OUT!! this is the first game to seperate bracing for contact and sprinting.

I think its our preception of "POWREING UP" making some feel its unrealistic. Its the same with most moves when yo have time to anticipate and prepare for it , its gonna be more intense. no one can pull off there most powerfull of efective move at a moments notice. In real life when i get a slam Dunk, its much more intense and powerfull if i have my 2 free steps with no contact, and i know im about to dunk.

If you dont like it thats fine but until there are better alternatives for this gameplay element they would be crazy to remove it. the 2K diehards would be ticked. simply pressing 2 buttons shouldnt instantly give me my most powerfull shoulder charge.

Last edited by TeeDogg; 03-26-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #35
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker
Also what should I get this for PS2, or Xbox. I have a PS2 but my friend has a Xbox but if the PS2 version is just as good I don't wanna have to go to his house to just play the game.
its better on the Xbox but at 1.99 why dont you both get a copy?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 PM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
Also, I'm certainly no EA apologist but, Mario running is way overstated on these boards. .
mario running isnt so much the big issue but it being the gameplay engine being a decade behind in technology, Mario running just represents this issue. Kinda like elbo tackles, its not that this lil glitch is SOOOOOO bad, but its represents a much larger problem that is not on EA's priority list to address.

their long outdated player interaction engine is just made more of an annoyance by these and similar issues.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
mario running isnt so much the big issue but it being the gameplay engine being a decade behind in technology, Mario running just represents this issue. Kinda like elbo tackles, its not that this lil glitch is SOOOOOO bad, but its represents a much larger problem that is not on EA's priority list to address.

their long outdated player interaction engine is just made more of an annoyance by these and similar issues.
I totally agree that EA never even used the Xbox or PS2 to it's full capicity and several of the issues have continued or gotten worse in next-gen.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #38
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
i totaly disagree, holding down "A" for 2 or so steps to gather composure for a power move is a very real gamplay element. ive used this analogy before but: take J. Bettis for example his shoulder charge should be much more effective if he has a few steps free of contact to gather himself for it. as opposed to lowering his shoulder in a split second response while running. If he knows he is going to meet a LB and has those free steps to load up LOOK OUT!! this is the first game to seperate bracing for contact and sprinting.

I think its our preception of "POWREING UP" making some feel its unrealistic. Its the same with most moves when yo have time to anticipate and prepare for it , its gonna be more intense. no one can pull off there most powerfull of efective move at a moments notice. In real life when i get a slam Dunk, its much more intense and powerfull if i have my 2 free steps with no contact, and i know im about to dunk.

If you dont like it thats fine but until there are better alternatives for this gameplay element they would be crazy to remove it. the 2K diehards would be ticked. simply pressing 2 buttons shouldnt instantly give me my most powerfull shoulder charge.
I understand what you're saying....I don't necessarily agree. If Jerome Bettis has time to load up the defender in essence would have time to load up or more intelligently tackle him at his shoe strings.

I liked 2k5 and the Dreamcast versions of 2k but the powering up and button mashing not so much. Also, it just doesn't take great athletes that long to speed burst. To use a basketball analogy, Iverson may lull you with a cross over and his next step is an explosion, not three steps to get up to speed.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #39
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

You don't seem to want to believe it but Teedog is right. If I'm a defender and I see Bettis and I think far enough in advance I will dive at his feet... if I don't I'll get trucked, which is exactly what usually happens in the NFL. It takes all of 2 seconds to "power up". THe problem is so many people feel that they have to automatically start speed bursting when they're running. The stick is pressure sensative in this game so your speed is not only determined by hitting buttons but also by how hard you push on the stick. Someone like Bettis can lower the shoulder and be effective while a smaller back it's more necessary to have that time to bow someone over. Everyone focuses on the powering up and button mashing but it's just an excuse. You'd do best by not "button mashing" until you're behind the defense or even speed bursting until hitting the hole.

I'm not saying you're an EA apologist or blind madden fan but your comments make me think that you're still trying to run like you would if you were playing madden. It doesn't work in 2k5.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 11

i think the way 2k handles their speed and power moves gets you more involved in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »