Home

just bought it today...NFL 2K5 that is

This is a discussion on just bought it today...NFL 2K5 that is within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: just bought it today...NFL 2K5 that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
You don't seem to want to believe it but Teedog is right. If I'm a defender and I see Bettis and I think far enough in advance I will dive at his feet... if I don't I'll get trucked, which is exactly what usually happens in the NFL. It takes all of 2 seconds to "power up". THe problem is so many people feel that they have to automatically start speed bursting when they're running. The stick is pressure sensative in this game so your speed is not only determined by hitting buttons but also by how hard you push on the stick. Someone like Bettis can lower the shoulder and be effective while a smaller back it's more necessary to have that time to bow someone over. Everyone focuses on the powering up and button mashing but it's just an excuse. You'd do best by not "button mashing" until you're behind the defense or even speed bursting until hitting the hole.

I'm not saying you're an EA apologist or blind madden fan but your comments make me think that you're still trying to run like you would if you were playing madden. It doesn't work in 2k5.
I'm not trying to run like I'm playing Madden, I run very well on 2k. I just don't really like it. You your self said it takes 2 seconds to power up. That makes no sense when it takes a little over 4 seconds to run a 40 yard dash. Have you ever played football in real life? Ask anyone. For the most part all you see is colors and you read body angles and everything you do is in a split second not 2 seconds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #42
MVP

BTW Tee Dogg had very valid points and I see what he's saying but admitting that his OPINION is right and my OPINION is wrong...........
Old 03-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepOklahoma
and yes, I do want a cookie.

I'mvery impressed w/ the presentation, the sport center feature, and the overall ESPN feel to it. But i guess I'm too used to EA's game play b/c I just cannot get with the game play of NFL2k5...idk somethings just weird about it to me....but ummm yeah....EA needs to definitely step it up, b/c in literally every other facet of the game 2k5 dwarfs Madden 2007 (and all other Maddens for that matter)

Good buy this new 2k8 won't even come close to 2k5.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #44
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
I'm not trying to run like I'm playing Madden, I run very well on 2k. I just don't really like it. You your self said it takes 2 seconds to power up. That makes no sense when it takes a little over 4 seconds to run a 40 yard dash. Have you ever played football in real life? Ask anyone. For the most part all you see is colors and you read body angles and everything you do is in a split second not 2 seconds.
lol, the "2 seconds" comment is a figure of speach meaning to be read as it happens very quickly. Your previous post gave the impression that you're holding the button for 10 seconds and then do some super charged move. When in reality you can choose to not use it at all and still do a nice move depending on the type and skill of the back. But if you decide to take the extra SECOND or so you have a more effect move. Like Tee dog said (and if you've played ANY contact sport), having an extra second or even half second to prepare what you want to do will make the move more effective in real life. 2k5 has been the only game to come close to portraying this aspect... an active decision rather than the normal reactive. If they failed at anything it was deciding to call it something arcadish.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
To use a basketball analogy, Iverson may lull you with a cross over and his next step is an explosion, not three steps to get up to speed.

LOL, dont confuse an explosive first step with achieving top speed.

which by the way are both diffrent from gathering for a power move. when guys go in for a nasty dunk, its not about sprinting towards the rim full speed. its about taking a few steps to gather yourself.

in 2k5 holding "A" didnt make the player run faster, it actualy seems to slow him a tad while he braced up. again im not saying you are wrong for not liking it, alot of folks dont. but it is an attemp at a nice gameplay element, and i love it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #46
MVP

Quote:
2k5 has been the only game to come close to portraying this aspect... an active decision rather than the normal reactive. If they failed at anything it was deciding to call it something arcadish.
Nice point, alot of plays are made on reflex or reactive moves some are premeditated. a rb hits a hole, he doesnt know he is gonna spin, juke, lower shoulder, etc, he reacts to the defense most cases. some shoulder charges are just to protect the ball and lunge forward at the last split second, then others are when there is i defender in your sights and you know the contact is coming.
same for the D, they load up to make hits when they have a clear path and a ball carrier in their sights
Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:
If they failed at anything it was deciding to call it something arcadish.
LOL, very true, i vote it be called "gathering composure" or "preparing for intense moves" in APF2K8
Old 03-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
lol, the "2 seconds" comment is a figure of speach meaning to be read as it happens very quickly. Your previous post gave the impression that you're holding the button for 10 seconds and then do some super charged move. When in reality you can choose to not use it at all and still do a nice move depending on the type and skill of the back. But if you decide to take the extra SECOND or so you have a more effect move. Like Tee dog said (and if you've played ANY contact sport), having an extra second or even half second to prepare what you want to do will make the move more effective in real life. 2k5 has been the only game to come close to portraying this aspect... an active decision rather than the normal reactive. If they failed at anything it was deciding to call it something arcadish.
Ummm.....What suggested I was holding the A button for 10 seconds? Played a few contact sports as well. I understand what you're saying I guess I may not like the implementation. Has it killed the game for me? No. Is it my favorite thing in the world? No. I don't care for tapping the button on jump balls in NBA2k either. It just seems that things that are done in split seconds in real life take longer to pull off than they should.

I've played videogame football from Intellevsion to Atari to Genesis to ps1 to Dreamcast to ps2 to Xbox to 360. Madden, Joe Montana(sportstalk), 2k, fever,Bill Walsh, Tecmobowl.........Liked some, loved some, disliked some, hated some.

I don't care for button mashing/rapid tapping or powering up. Am I asking 2k to take it out of their games? No. I've managed to play around aspects of games that I don't particularily like and I find enjoyment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »