Home

2K Sports Better Start Talking

This is a discussion on 2K Sports Better Start Talking within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: 2K Sports Better Start Talking

2K is not known for its marketing prowess...except for games that already sell alot (such as NBA basketball).

With each passing day that goes by, its making the mid August release seem like it is probably true, and I think that's going to be a mistake. Why compete directly with Madden with an unlicensed game that doesn't have to.

The other thing- due to the upheaval at Take Two, perhaps "minimalist marketing" is now the norm until things are determined by that meeting they have on the 29th where they will face the angry stockholders.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #10

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Why must they compete directly with Madden? That makes about as much sense as it would if the Arena Football League decided to compete with the NFL and run their season at the same time. They can't win!!

If I were 2K, I'd release the game shortly after the MLB release, like maybe a month later. To me, that release schedule would provide them with the greatest opportunity for success. But folks....they ain't beating Madden. Not gonna happen.
Releasing this game anytime close to Madden's release makes it competition. Another factor is that it's a football game based on that which was the NFL 2K series. We can say they don't have to "compete" with Madden, and I agree that they don't, but not matter what, the game will indeed compete with Madden. There's a rivalry there, and there will be opinions as to why 2K is better than Madden and vice versa.

Even 2K Sports has made it known that part of the release of this game is to offer a true next-gen "gridiron" experience, so it's obvious they are calling Madden to the table.

For those who enjoyed 2K Football (including myself), we're not too concerned on whether or not 2K puts up a fight with Madden. My point is that if 2K Sports wants this game to flourish with the casual, then they better be a bit more agressive in their marketing of this title.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
Unless they want this game to only be bought by the "fan faithful," these folks better start revealing what this game is about and when it's coming.

I'm getting it, so i could careless, but the giant Madden 08 snowball is forming, and that is going to be a tough competitor to run alongside.

They seem to "BE" targeting the main fans of the series first and foremost. They also appear on hoping to garner a reputation to lure curious Maddenites in the process. But I agree, as of now, its really not time for more speculation. The announcement is almost a month old and we don't even have so much as a sentence describing this game. What I fear the most is that this turns out to be one giant let down, especially with all this damn talk of take two selling parts of their company and all. It's being talked about about I rest assure you. There lots of people who are into sports games especially football games that are more than aware that this game is supposed to be released. I think Take Two is maybe stalling a little too hard.........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

To tell you the truth, there is an optimal time to build up hype. Sure, we here at Operation Sports really want to know NOW, but John Q. Public? They really don't want to know about a game until a month to the release, hell, most people would rather just see an advertisement that says "In stores now."

No, I don't really think we need any info now, maybe May, June would be better . . . not now.

It's coming and that's great but getting info now won't get us the game any sooner.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutte
That silence is whats giving this game so much hype. The fans are driving themsleves crazy for any info. I have some.... Micheal Irvin agreed to be cover boy thats why he was fired from Espn. I wanted to come out early summer . Taht wont happen because i think 2k wants a small war. Looking at stragey, its better to come out right around madden to gain intrest to those who are plain sick of the bull crap. It could work or fail. this is there gamble.
They probably reading Madden forms to gather ideas tko include into there games, well the ones that make sence anyways. Well all seen the tech demos from natural motions and thats what the game is gonna move like. you have to read the between lines
Wow. You actually misspelled the word "to". It's called spellcheck. Look into it.

Anyway...on to the actual topic, those of you who think that 2K's business plan with this game is to directly compete with and eventually beat Madden...you're crazy. They should follow the business model set forth by the folks at Midway with the Blitz series. Give us something new, something fresh, something different, and don't try to pretend to be the "Madden Killer". That's what 2K should do with this game.

Last edited by TJdaSportsGuy; 03-27-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_secondary
To tell you the truth, there is an optimal time to build up hype. Sure, we here at Operation Sports really want to know NOW, but John Q. Public? They really don't want to know about a game until a month to the release, hell, most people would rather just see an advertisement that says "In stores now."

No, I don't really think we need any info now, maybe May, June would be better . . . not now.

It's coming and that's great but getting info now won't get us the game any sooner.

You are absolutely right. We don't need the game now and getting info a "little" early may seem unrealistic. But, what you may have forgotten that this game hasn't been released since 2004. EA Sports will be cranking out commercials BEFORE and DURING the draft. Take Two may be playing with fire by not at least disclosing some information at least in the next 2 weeks.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #15
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

I about spit my water out of my mouth reading this title. They don't have to do anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
Banned

kutte's Arena

OVR: 1

Wow. You actually misspelled the word "to". It's called spellcheck. Look into it.

Learning how to type correctly is a B####
and cocaine is a hellava drug man lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »