Home

How will this new fictitious league be formatted?

This is a discussion on How will this new fictitious league be formatted? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
Pro

MikeRo72's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: How will this new fictitious league be formatted?

All you need is an implied reference to the copyright to win the lawsuit. In the past game companies have been successful because if they coudnt get the Lg rights they got the players Union copyright, or vice versa. Either way, IMO 2K will have 100% fictiocious lg like Blitz, and All I was saying before, is that it works, is beleivable, and is as fun as playing with an officially licenced game when done right.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #18
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo72
All you need is an implied reference to the copyright to win the lawsuit. In the past game companies have been successful because if they coudnt get the Lg rights they got the players Union copyright, or vice versa. Either way, IMO 2K will have 100% fictiocious lg like Blitz, and All I was saying before, is that it works, is beleivable, and is as fun as playing with an officially licenced game when done right.
I will agree with you that the game can still be fun without mimicking the NFL. Infact recently I bought NFL Fever for $1. They actually had some pretty cool fictional teams with creative logos. And another perk with a ficticious league, is that I won't have certain expectations for teams....In my last season with 2K5, I played with SF, but I was mildly bothered when I saw that Indy ended up 6-10 with the Texans winning that division.

I will let someone who knows copyright law better than me address the other topic. But I seem to recall games like Out of the Park baseball not having the league or players licence, but they do have all the cities in the proper divisions. Infact they even go so far as to have NY(A) and NY(N). Also, the college games of recent years can't name players, but they certainly imply reference with the player ratings.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:04 AM   #19
Rookie

KDRIZZLE2K4's Arena

OVR: 9

I would like the rules to be customizable so that if you want NFL rules you can do that, if you want NCAA or CFL you can do that too. Just ultra customizable with details like how many downs per possession, how many yards for first down, length of the field, etc.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 12

I was thinking about recreating the USFL. LA Express, Memphis Showboats, San Antonio Gunslingers, Oklahoma Outlaws, Chicago Blitz, New Jersey Generals, Arizona Wranglers, Boston Breakers, etc. I need to find a website with all of the original teams.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #21
Pro

MikeRo72's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
I was thinking about recreating the USFL. LA Express, Memphis Showboats, San Antonio Gunslingers, Oklahoma Outlaws, Chicago Blitz, New Jersey Generals, Arizona Wranglers, Boston Breakers, etc. I need to find a website with all of the original teams.
Google "Helmet Project", you should find website where a dude has made it his goal to find every football helmet from the first Rutgers Princeton game to today. He has thousands of helmets posted and there you will find all the USFL
teams listed.

As for the NFL why is it so far fetched that they wouldnt slap a suit asap. You are talking about a lg that sent out cease and desist letters to Churches holding gatherings on Super Bowl sunday for their parishioners to watch the game on big screens. This is a lg that tried to Patent the term "the big game" in addition to superbowl so they could cash in even more before Stanford and Cal stopped them. All I am saying is 2k will make this game 1000% fictional to avoid NFL crap, and for one dont mind.

Last edited by MikeRo72; 04-09-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #22
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Good points Mike. I do remember the NFL breaking up the church superbowl party. And it probably doesn't matter anyway. If people are going to take the time to edit players and teams, it won't be any more work to move some divisions around either.

For the USFL guy, wikipedia also has good info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usfl

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »