Home

Amazing..a 4 yr old, $5 game is better then Madden 08

This is a discussion on Amazing..a 4 yr old, $5 game is better then Madden 08 within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #33
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Amazing..a 4 yr old, $5 game is better then Madden 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I really can't believe that anyone thought that without competition Tiburon would make a better game, and there were people actually arguing that they spent so much money on competition that it made their games suffer. If they didn't try when they had competition why would they try when they own the market?
Agreed. I was one of those arguing that exclusivity was going to be a horrible deal; I just didn't fathom the extent. I thought it was a no-brainer that Tiburon would improve presentation, add improved player interaction like double team blocking and gang tackling when they went to next gen. At the very least. Not that they'd necessarily be doing it better than what 2K was doing; I just thought they'd at least have addressed those issues w/their new engine. The huge issue is they didn't go forward or even sideways - they actually went backwards. It's shocking when looking at what 2K5 was to see EA just getting around to trying to add improved player interaction, and they still haven't addressed their presentation issues. As well as the many other issues they haven't even attempted to touch.

Unfortunately given the state that gaming journalism has been in (Madden 08 gameplay - 9.8! TeamXBox; no need to go into the joke that IGN and Gamespot have painted themselves out to be), EA & the NFL, and the general passive nature of consumers ensures that we'll have mediocre-to-poor representations for the football titles.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #34
MVP

Dondadda's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
I really can't believe that anyone thought that without competition Tiburon would make a better game, and there were people actually arguing that they spent so much money on competition that it made their games suffer. If they didn't try when they had competition why would they try when they own the market?
I agree with you now, and this is what I argued back then - those that thought that Tiburon would suddenly "step up" strictly for charitable reasons were not in touch with economics. They paid for the licenses so they could KEEP IT status quo, rake in cash from the sheep that buy the title every season, and not have to worry about a competitor eating into its profits (which NFL 2K5 somewhat accomplished by outselling Madden 2005 on the XBOX).
Old 11-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
I think it's over in 2010 but there's no guarantee that the NFL will let anyone else develop games.
I doubt that 2K or whomever would be able to outbid EA.

Truth be told, I don't want any one company to own the exclusive rights; the competition makes for better games. Case in point: 2K owns the exclusive 3rd party rights to MLB, and they've essentially killed baseball gaming for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #36
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13

Im really surprised about the reaction this game is getting now and the bad talk that EA is getting, not that this game isnt good cause I love this game and have always wished 2k was able to keep making a football game, have always loved 2k sports games, its just that some people who are complaing *looking at the big picture here* are part of the problem....just in general..EA makes their games the way they do because so many people buy them every year. Its really funny, every year EA pulls out Madden and many people say its going to be so much better than the previous year but soon after they are so disappointed with it. They play it, some like it and some dont, but after a little while many of the same guys buying it can't stand the game and say they got shafted yet another year from EA..Question...why do you all fall into the same trap?
Old 11-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
Im really surprised about the reaction this game is getting now and the bad talk that EA is getting, not that this game isnt good cause I love this game and have always wished 2k was able to keep making a football game, have always loved 2k sports games, its just that some people who are complaing *looking at the big picture here* are part of the problem....just in general..EA makes their games the way they do because so many people buy them every year. Its really funny, every year EA pulls out Madden and many people say its going to be so much better than the previous year but soon after they are so disappointed with it. They play it, some like it and some dont, but after a little while many of the same guys buying it can't stand the game and say they got shafted yet another year from EA..Question...why do you all fall into the same trap?
It's because people want to play as real teams. When you have one option what else are people going to play. As good as NFL 2k5, its not new and fresh.

It's just human nature to want something new and that's Madden. At the same time it's the only NFL game in town. If you want to play as the bears you can't in APF.

Let's say APF had perfect gameplay and more features than what was released, it still could not compete with Madden because we want an NFL game.

That said APF hurt themselves by releasing releasing a game that was practically a demo of APF 09.

Maybe APF will offer a fully customizable game and people like Finn, Puja, Dan create APF:NFL. That would be sweet.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #38
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Its really funny, every year EA pulls out Madden and many people say its going to be so much better than the previous year but soon after they are so disappointed with it. They play it, some like it and some dont, but after a little while many of the same guys buying it can't stand the game and say they got shafted yet another year from EA..Question...why do you all fall into the same trap?
No self control. Not caring enough about the situation to want to be inconvenienced. The need to have an NFL game, regardless of the cost. There are lots of reasons, and I agree a lot of the problem is consumers. When talks of an organized boycott, or something to make the public more aware of the situation came up when exclusivity first was announced, it was laughed off. It is sad that the same thing occurs every year - people diss Madden for what it doesn't do, vow not to buy it the next year. Then EA puts out some pics on draft day and the tune slowly begins to change. By the time the various Madden sites heads have been dispatched to whip their members into a frenzy promising "it's really good - no, seriously this time", people have pretty much given into the hype. People care more about being fed hype than receiving a quality product.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 11-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #39
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
No self control. Not caring enough about the situation to want to be inconvenienced. The need to have an NFL game, regardless of the cost. There are lots of reasons, and I agree a lot of the problem is consumers. When talks of an organized boycott, or something to make the public more aware of the situation came up when exclusivity first was announced, it was laughed off. It is sad that the same thing occurs every year - people diss Madden for what it doesn't do, vow not to buy it the next year. Then EA puts out some pics on draft day and the tune slowly begins to change. By the time the various Madden sites heads have been dispatched to whip their members into a frenzy promising "it's really good - no, seriously this time", people have pretty much given into the hype. People care more about being fed hype than receiving a quality product.
That is what is laughable... how all the gaming sites proclaimed 08 to be DA GAME when it still doesn't hold a candle to 2k5. Reading about the guy that got fired from gamespot for a bad review of a big advertiser's game... no wonder Madden gets reviews scores it does not desire.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #40
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
I haven't fallen for any trap. I don't buy EA Sports games although I've played most, if not all of them.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »