Home

The Little Things...

This is a discussion on The Little Things... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: The Little Things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aff4life
that would make sense, why give the gta4 profits (which should be astronomical) to EA? make all the money you can off that release and THEN sell for the $2 bill (btw: wow. EA is f'n serious about buying them out), I don't see the owner of TTI saying "no" to that... especially if they're a publicly traded company.
TTI is a publicly traded company and like all publicly traded companies, it's all about keeping the investors happy. $2 billion dollars should keep them happy. EA sucks but they make millions and millions so investors who are with TTI should be happier once EA buys them out.

From my personal standpoint, I hate EA. In my opinion, the last great games from them were Road Rash and Need For Speed on 3DO. Those were the last two EA games that I purchased excluding Def Jam Vendetta which I purchased because the developer was AKI of WWF / WCW games on N64.

I have no interest in next gen systems and it's highly unlikely that im going to purchase any of them. NFL 2K is dead and whether EA buys out TTI or not, I dont ever see it coming back. No competition sucks but if EA was smart, they would keep the 2K brand intact and VC. Have VC develop their own sports brand while Tirubon continues to develop the current EA sports games like Madden. Madden vs 2K would be back and EA would make all the profits from both series while keeping all sports gamers happy.

Of course, since im guessing that VC would blow away Tirubon, I doubt that will ever happen. EA would never allow the "invaders" (so to speak) to overshadow EA's current sports franchises especially Madden.

Oh well. After over three plus years, I honestly dont even care anymore. I have my Xbox, laptop PC, AR, 2K5 and with GOD himself, FINN, keeping 2K5 alive, im a happy camper. I have my NFL video game fix and EA's logo is thankfully nowhere to be found.

Thanks FINN.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

I want Finn to come over and take care of my sister.
I'd let this guy watch my kids.

Finn is a hero among heroes. In my house we sing:

Finn is a star up in the sky
Finn is a mountain peak up high
Hey, Finn made it
Finn's the worlds greatest
And Finn's roster are that little bit of hope
When maddens' backs against the ropes
I can feel it mmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
I have my Xbox, laptop PC, AR, 2K5 and with GOD himself, FINN, keeping 2K5 alive, im a happy camper. I have my NFL video game fix and EA's logo is thankfully nowhere to be found.

Thanks FINN.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #27
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

"TTI is a publicly traded company and like all publicly traded companies, it's all about keeping the investors happy. $2 billion dollars should keep them happy. EA sucks but they make millions and millions so investors who are with TTI should be happier once EA buys them out."

Exactly.

"From my personal standpoint, I hate EA. In my opinion, the last great games from them were Road Rash and Need For Speed on 3DO."

You know, I'm still a fan of the Sims and SimCity, but again, much like it is here, my re-play value of those titles is based on the all the mods I get online.

"Those were the last two EA games that I purchased excluding Def Jam Vendetta which I purchased because the developer was AKI of WWF / WCW games on N64."

That brings back fond memories for me of Wrestlemania 2000, IMO the best Wrestling title they ever released in America. The follow-up had all the hardcore capabilities, but I was never as fond of it graphically, plus they cut down on the intros. Those AKI guys were, much like the developers of 2k, actual fans of what they were trying to simulate. I mean, that game included trademark moves from Hayabusa, Shinzaki and Tiger Mask! I guess it goes to prove that style will just beat out substance any day, mostly cuz the average schmuck (whose numbers are far greater than your own) only cares about shiny things and explosions.

"I have no interest in next gen systems and it's highly unlikely that I'm going to purchase any of them."

"NFL 2K is dead and whether EA buys out TTI or not, I don't ever see it coming back. No competition sucks but if EA was smart, they would keep the 2K brand intact and VC. Have VC develop their own sports brand while Tirubon continues to develop the current EA sports games like Madden. Madden vs 2K would be back and EA would make all the profits from both series while keeping all sports gamers happy.
"

Why do that when employing the same strategy as your local cable company makes THEM happy? Why go the extra mile when you can treat all your customers like crack-heads? You know they'll be back for more 'cuz they have no choice!

"Of course, since I'm guessing that VC would blow away Tirubon, I doubt that will ever happen. EA would never allow the "invaders" (so to speak) to overshadow EA's current sports franchises especially Madden."

Not to go all agreeing with you and then turn into your high school English teacher, but, unless you're misspelling it on purpose, it's "Tiburon". But yes, VC would kick their ***, like, Thunderdome-style.

"Oh well. After over three plus years, I honestly don't even care anymore. I have my Xbox, laptop PC, AR, 2K5 and with GOD himself, FINN, keeping 2K5 alive, I'm a happy camper. I have my NFL video game fix and EA's logo is thankfully nowhere to be found."

"Thanks FINN."

From now on, when I say my prayers and take my vitamins just like the Hulkster wants me to, I'm directing all those prayers to The Flying One Himself.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #28
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

I'm in the same boat, I could care less about the license. This game may not be perfect, but it's the closet thing out there for a sim.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #29
Banned

Quote:
That brings back fond memories for me of Wrestlemania 2000, IMO the best Wrestling title they ever released in America. The follow-up had all the hardcore capabilities, but I was never as fond of it graphically, plus they cut down on the intros. Those AKI guys were, much like the developers of 2k, actual fans of what they were trying to simulate. I mean, that game included trademark moves from Hayabusa, Shinzaki and Tiger Mask! I guess it goes to prove that style will just beat out substance any day, mostly cuz the average schmuck (whose numbers are far greater than your own) only cares about shiny things and explosions.
I loved WM 2000 but NM was a much deeper game and while the storylines were basically a copy of WWF in 1999-2000, I enjoyed NM more because of that and all the different paths in the championship modes. I do agree that the graphics, character models and faces were better in WM 2000 though. Just look at Chyna in NM. Her face isnt even close. AKI should have just kept the "look" from WM 2000 and just add in all the other stuff. The short ring entrances still pisses me off to this day. I used to watch and listen to the intros in WM 2000 just for hell of it. One thing that I was hoping AKI would have done was allow players to copy wrestlers from WM 2000 and add them in NM like Big Show. Show sucks but having his face, moves, etc. in NM but having to create him was a pain in the ***. Despite me creating players in 2K5 to keep it alive, I have never ever created a wrestler in any game. Tried a few times but the process takes too long. AKI is my favorite wrestling developer. I hate Yukes pukes and while Spike (Fire Pro) is a great developer, I never liked or was able to get into their grapple setup. Oh well. I may actually buy Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 which is the Japanese version of NM or I should say that NM is the American version of VPW2. Nonetheless, I was thinking about buying that off ebay but sadly, I dont know Japanese. I also wanted to play King of Colosseum for PS2 but it being in Japanese plus me having to mod my flip top PS2 turned me off. KOC has one awesome feature in it that no other wrestling game has ever had - the CPU will actually rate your matches on a five star scale. How cool is that!!! And I agree with you about gamers caring more about style over substance. It's all about visuals and nothing else. 2K5 has great graphics, presentation, etc. but the gameplay is awesome excluding the few AI problems and glitches. When I start a season, I can play up to 10 games in a day just because I dont want to stop playing.

Do you still watch wrestling? I'll watch Ring Of Honor or old school wrestling here and there. Basically, whatever my friend downloads off the internet and gives me. I cant watch WWE anymore. I stopped years ago. I'll read about it here and there. I used too just watch WM but looking at the card for WM 24, im very disappointed. Two or so matches look like they could be good if given the time but why in the hell did McMahon pay Mayweather $20m is beyond me? Everyone knows he's going to win. Every match that has featured a wrestler vs a boxer or football player, etc., the wrestler always loses. What's the point? Oh well, whatever. If I want to watch wrestling, I'll watch ECW Barely Legal 97 or ECW Heat Wave 98. Ah, good times.

And here's a little info about Def Jam Vendetta in case you didnt know - DJV was originally supposed to be a WCW based game using AKI's game engine but once McMahon purchased WCW in late 2000, that plan went out the window. And DJV 2: Fight for NY had some cool stuff in it but was crap overall since it was based more on fighting than wrestling.

Quote:
Not to go all agreeing with you and then turn into your high school English teacher, but, unless you're misspelling it on purpose, it's "Tiburon". But yes, VC would kick their ***, like, Thunderdome-style.
Oops. Yeah, I misspelled it. Not that I care. Personally, they should be called "Terrible" in my opinion.

Quote:
From now on, when I say my prayers and take my vitamins just like the Hulkster wants me to, I'm directing all those prayers to The Flying One Himself.
Vitamins??? Hogan took vitamins? And here I thought it was steroids. LOL.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #30
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB Eagles

Finn is a star up in the sky
Finn is a mountain peak up high
Hey, Finn made it
And Finn's roster are that little bit of hope
When maddens' backs against the ropes
I can feel it mmm
Err....that's a little creepy!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #31
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
I loved WM 2000 but NM was a much deeper game and while the storylines were basically a copy of WWF in 1999-2000, I enjoyed NM more because of that and all the different paths in the championship modes.
I never got into the Championship mode. For me wrestling titles were all about me and my best friend making CAW's of ourselves and having "epic" matches with the title on the line. I once pinned him off a shoulder block, that still still burns his ***. We never really wrestled WWF style anyway. It was heavily ECW inspired.

Quote:
Show sucks but having his face, moves, etc. in NM but having to create him was a pain in the ***. Despite me creating players in 2K5 to keep it alive, I have never ever created a wrestler in any game. Tried a few times but the process takes too long.
I was, as I alluded earlier, all about the CAW. Hell, I went so far as to re-create my faves from ECW: RVD, Sabu and New Jack and a few others I can't remember at the moment. I might have made a Jerry Lynn and Amish Roadkill. I loved the CAW, how you could craft a "personality" through a combination of entrances, moves and taunts. that's where I spent the other half of my time when my buddy wasn't around.

Quote:
When I start a season, I can play up to 10 games in a day just because I dont want to stop playing.
Oh, man. I've lost entire weekends to 2k5. My poor wife.

Quote:
Do you still watch wrestling? I'll watch Ring Of Honor or old school wrestling here and there. Basically, whatever my friend downloads off the internet and gives me. I cant watch WWE anymore. I stopped years ago. I'll read about it here and there. I used too just watch WM but looking at the card for WM 24, im very disappointed. Two or so matches look like they could be good if given the time but why in the hell did McMahon pay Mayweather $20m is beyond me? Everyone knows he's going to win. Every match that has featured a wrestler vs a boxer or football player, etc., the wrestler always loses. What's the point? Oh well, whatever. If I want to watch wrestling, I'll watch ECW Barely Legal 97 or ECW Heat Wave 98. Ah, good times.
I've got the last year of ECW's existence on VHS.

I stopped watching all wrestling not too long after the death of ECW and the merger of WWF/WCW. Not that wrestling has ever been for intellectual giants, but it really got insulting with the story lines. Redundant. And I never liked most of the guys they started pushing. Randy Orton? bah. I think it really went downhill in terms of talent when Stephanie McMahon started hiring wrestlers, suddenly all of them were on the juice and couldn't wrestle for s**t. The re-emergence of ECW via WWE just broke my heart. To see a guy like SABU getting jobbed out to hacks. Or the main event not even featuring ECW wrestlers, it turned into the toilet of the WWE. I think I just basically just resent the WWE now.

You ever watch any CZW?

Quote:
Vitamins??? Hogan took vitamins? And here I thought it was steroids. LOL.
Well, he told me to take vitamins. he never specified if they were Flintstones chewables or horse pill sized steroids.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
I never got into the Championship mode. For me wrestling titles were all about me and my best friend making CAW's of ourselves and having "epic" matches with the title on the line. I once pinned him off a shoulder block, that still still burns his ***. We never really wrestled WWF style anyway. It was heavily ECW inspired.

I was, as I alluded earlier, all about the CAW. Hell, I went so far as to re-create my faves from ECW: RVD, Sabu and New Jack and a few others I can't remember at the moment. I might have made a Jerry Lynn and Amish Roadkill. I loved the CAW, how you could craft a "personality" through a combination of entrances, moves and taunts. that's where I spent the other half of my time when my buddy wasn't around.
CAW feature is great but I never had the patience to take the time to create wrestlers. The only thing that I dont like about the Championship modes was that you had to lose in order to open up different paths. I hated that. Other than that, I enjoyed playing through the Championship modes because of the variety with all the matches and whatnot. Everything was spread out to where you can actually enjoy playing the matches. My only complaint was the Ironman match. 10 minutes??? WTF is that??? I remember when I first played NM and was reading the storyline and it said that I was going to have an Ironman match. I was so pumped up and then disappointed when I saw the 10 minute time limit. Should have been 60 minutes or at least 30. Oh well.

Quote:
I've got the last year of ECW's existence on VHS.

I stopped watching all wrestling not too long after the death of ECW and the merger of WWF/WCW. Not that wrestling has ever been for intellectual giants, but it really got insulting with the story lines. Redundant. And I never liked most of the guys they started pushing. Randy Orton? bah. I think it really went downhill in terms of talent when Stephanie McMahon started hiring wrestlers, suddenly all of them were on the juice and couldn't wrestle for s**t. The re-emergence of ECW via WWE just broke my heart. To see a guy like SABU getting jobbed out to hacks. Or the main event not even featuring ECW wrestlers, it turned into the toilet of the WWE. I think I just basically just resent the WWE now.

You ever watch any CZW?
I had every ECW PPV years ago but they were all copied off PPV. They're long gone but I did buy originals of ECW Barely Legal 1997 and ECW Heat Wave 1998 last summer as they were in my opinion the best two ECW PPV's.

I watched wrestling less and less after ECW went bankrupt and WCW was purchased by McMahon. Now, I dont care. It's basically just here and there. The storylines are crap. It's like a damn soap opera. I actually like Randy Orton. He's good but needs to cutdown on the time he keeps his opponents in mat holds. With every wrestler in WWE, they all have to change their style to WWE which sucks because it cuts down on the talented wrestlers because they're so damn limited. I'm hoping that Orton or HHH wins at WM. I hate Cena. I liked him at first when he faced Kurt Angle but after that, im just no into him or his character and gimmick. I wish they would turn him heel and change back into Prototype from when he was in Ohio Valley training. Oh well. The sad part is that WWE could easily be awesome but without any serious competition, there's no reason for McMahon to care. Stephanie is horrible. Shane is the only one who has been rumored to actually want more wrestling and cruiserweights. I dont know how true that it but too bad after Vince, it's going to be Steph and HHH running the damn company.

ECW's One Night Stand I was good but could have been great if Vince let Heyman run the show. The matches were too short. Havent seen the second One Night Stand but I know that it setup the return of ECW but it's pure crap. McMahon is an egomaniac and couldnt stand letting Heyman run the show like he should have. McMahon also doesnt care unless he starts losing money. With him owning ECW and WCW, he could bring back both and actually have them run by people who know what they're doing. It could be "in-house" competition so to speak but like EA buying TTI and keeping the 2K series alive, that's not going to happen.

As for CZW, I have a highlight DVD where all these guys are getting slammed through glass, tables, fire, etc. but I have never seen an actual full match from them. I know that they're more extreme than ECW ever was. Of course, I dont think CZW has an actual TV show because if they did, they would have to water it down. If I watch wrestling, it has nothing to do with the the fed. It's all about who the wrestlers are in the match. If there's say a Low Ki-Kenta match, I'll definitely try to watch it. Or others like Chris Here, Briscoes, Claudio, Danielson and others here and there. Basically, all the talent.

And maybe you know this - where the hell is Rob Van Dam? Did he retire too?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »