Home

Whats the best way to evaluate Draft picks?

This is a discussion on Whats the best way to evaluate Draft picks? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Whats the best way to evaluate Draft picks?

Besides looking at Mel's Big Board, there doesnt seem to be a good indication which players i should pick/ scout. Should I look at the college stats or the measurable? I can get the fastest WR with the highest GPA and a 4 on hands and he will still be rated a 56 OVR.

Has anyone found a good system?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Whats the best way to evaluate Draft picks?

Save the franchise; take note of players' names; draft; sim 2-3 seasons and see which rookies blossom into stars and which don't; reload the save and select those who turn into great players.

It's pointless to scout and select players based on their rookie ratings, given player progression is pre-programmed, player-specific and entirely predetermined.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
This really doesn't seem fun, lol... But yeah when I do a franchise, I always just look at the big board , but I don't think there's a damn way to get value 2 through 7... I just trade away my picks for vets.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
I should add that my favorite thing to do in Madden is to trade for good draft picks, so the lack of draft knowledge in this game really hurt the fun factor for me.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Wide Receivers are horribly, horribly underrated by this game's draft engine. This hurts not only you, but the other teams as well. They can have 4's or 5's for catching, and run 4.28 40 yards, and you'll draft a 56 because the guy's hands are 85 but his route running is 42.

In the real world WR's are sometimes the best player in the draft. I have never seen a WR in Mel's Top 10 in 2k5. I can't recall seeing a WR in the Top 25.

The only system I can suggest in an unfair one: look at the Rookie Report. It's the only list that will tell you the best players, most times. I said most times because of the ratings for Guard, Tackles, Running Backs and Defensive Tackles. The heavier they are, the higher they are rated. That really skews the player's real abilities. Tight Ends and WR's will be rated higher because of superior height compared to the second rated guy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I just drafted a WR who was 67 overall. 93 speed 91 route running and 6x hands. Though you can easily progress them

― Plato
Old 05-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Its too bad that they give you the exact order of who has the best overall rating, regardless of position. I havent played in awhile, but its somewhere where you look at all the rookies. If you dont sort by anything, the list is in the order of the top players. I think you can even sort by positions and its listed by top overall to lowest. I dont even look there, cause it makes drafting way too easy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »