Home

Madden bias at video game stores

This is a discussion on Madden bias at video game stores within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2003, 01:28 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Madden bias at video game stores

Quote:

NYJets37 said:
Quote:

njskillz said:
Quote:

NYJets37 said:
Quote:

njskillz said:
NYJets:
Your consistent, I give you that. You always have something smart to say. The Gamertag is njskillz. Usually online playing NFL2K3. When we going to get a game in? This way you can say all the smart $hit you want to say and we can have some real dialogue.

I can play pretty much anytime. I never play the game anymore though, so I know I'll get killed. That and I suck..

I'm not that great either, but you always seems to take issue with my Pro-NFL2K posts so this way you can express it to me and we can have some give and take. I have noted your gamertag so if you see me out there, feel free to invite me to play.

Issues with Pro NFL2K posts?

Sorry, I've been accused of being a 2K [censored you naughty boy] before. I'm not getting Madden this year (well, probably not). 2K3 was by far my favorite football game last year. Hell, I run a website all about all the ESPN Games.

I do think it's annoying that people seem to think every review, or person that tells you that Madden is better is a big conspiracy, but anti 2K I am not.

I have no issue with anyone that prefers Madden. My issue is with folks who down the NFL2K series because it is not "Maddenlike". I started a thread earlier this week about how a friend of mine ran across the exact same situation that I ran across today. That was why I posted in this thread. My point being that my experience has been that folks working in Gaming stores are usually casual "sports" gamers if they even play sports games at all. Madden appeals to that type of gamer. I closed my case because of the statement "..I don't like to watch football...". I knew that before he opened his mouth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2003, 01:40 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 5

In Most Cases EA SPORTS Will pay Retailers to Advertise their products with posters and such .
Old 08-08-2003, 07:28 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:

Klue516 said:
Quote:

njskillz said:
Klue,

Your from the area. Go up to KOP mall. The store is EBX. The clerk is short balding white guy with black hair. Sorry bruh, I'm not into telling stories.

NYJets:

Your consistent, I give you that. You always have something smart to say. The Gamertag is njskillz. Usually online playing NFL2K3. When we going to get a game in? This way you can say all the smart $hit you want to say and we can have some real dialogue.

I believe you. I have no reason not to, nor do i really care about the whole situation, as long as i get my ESPN Football on time this year and get the chance to stomp your sorry azz into the ground on XBL, everthing shall be good.

Being someone who works in a game store part of the reasoning for pushing a product has to do with the title they make the most money off of. When 2k3 had a price drop that was a humongous loss for our store. We had to slash down prices on tons of copies. Madden didn't have this problem. So owners and corporations remember this stuff. And they go with the one that there sure is gonna net them the cash. Especially in this economy.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:29 PM   #28
Rookie

sorry i meant the last post for brymshaw
Old 08-08-2003, 08:49 PM   #29
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6

Everyone keeps harping on marketing this and marketing that... Well, Microsoft has more money than EA and they can't get there game "marketed" better than Madden. It's more than just pushing a game. Madden his this hypnotic hold on a lot of the gaming community. The trance EA has on the gaming world prevents people who supposedly like football from even TRYING another game. Then you will hear dumb statements like "Madden is the best" from people who haven't even tried the other games. So, market/make commercials all you want. The @#$% is deep out there in football gaming land. The convicts are running the asylum!
Bubba4
Old 08-08-2003, 10:36 PM   #30
Rookie

monsterhound's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

Being someone who works in a game store part of the reasoning for pushing a product has to do with the title they make the most money off of. When 2k3 had a price drop that was a humongous loss for our store. We had to slash down prices on tons of copies. Madden didn't have this problem. So owners and corporations remember this stuff. And they go with the one that there sure is gonna net them the cash. Especially in this economy.

Exactly. A lot of the sales guys don't even play sports video games. They're just told by their managers, who are told by the district managers, and on up the line, what games to push. This is based off what the store thinks will be the biggest money maker, combined with any marketing payola the manufacturers dole out. Last year Sega was hyping 2k3 as the game that could possibly outsell Madden, and EB was saying they were your Sega Sports Headquarters. Whatever your opinion on the game's merits, 2k3 took a bath saleswise and so did the video game stores. Now they're trumpeting Madden to death again. It's all about these guys pushing the product they think is most likely to sell. It's not some kind of X-Filesesque conspiracy.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:42 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:

brymshaw said:
In Most Cases EA SPORTS Will pay Retailers to Advertise their products with posters and such .

My friend who used to work at EB was being told by his manager, if he sells a specific number of Madden's, he would have gotten a raise. Yes, some managers are being bribed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2003, 11:05 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 10

This was the first time in 5 years I've never had anyone suggest Madden or ask me why I'm getting 2K/ESPN instead of Madden. Of course I think the guy running the EB store near my place has no clue about videogames at all.

Actually Microsoft do have a big game and it's called Halo and it would sell more copies than Madden if it were on all the console Madden was. Halo2 will do pretty good and will help Microsoft sell a lot of Xboxes. They also have Ninja Gaiden coming out too. It's not from Microsoft but it's Xbox exclusive.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »