Home

Guide to better Defense!

This is a discussion on Guide to better Defense! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Guide to better Defense!

Quote:

ZXLT said:
Pressing 'X' (Square) right before making contact with the ball carrier supposedly increases your chances of making the tackle.

Yeah, it says that in the tips section of the game guide or whatever.

My defense is best when I let the Dlinemen do there own thing because it is a little known fact the with the exception of some exceptional talents the DLines job is to keep the Olinemen off the LBs so that they can make plays. I have switch to LB and my D is better...if I make the right Line call and keep the Olinemen away.

Crazy_Stanley,

I do the same thing with controlling a LB that's in man coverage of a RB/FB. My question for you is if that RB/FB stays in to block is it better to a)make a zone out of the middle of the field or b)go and try to pressure the QB?
Old 09-14-2003, 01:09 PM   #18
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Zones are your friend. If you can get comfortable playing zones you'll have a better chance of containing the RB. However, controlling an LB in coverage or a Safety is tough so go to training and work on the defending the pass drill over and over and then go to scrimmage mode, set the distance to 15-25 or so and work on covering your zone (work on man too).

Contain, don't kill. If you're chasing a runner, remember that they have incredible break away speed and adjust your pursuit route accordingly.

Playing a DE or DT against the CPU is a good idea occassionally as pressure rushes the QB into a bad through. Against humans it's not as good of an idea on most downs as seeing you controlling someone can scare your opponent away from the area or bait them to the area.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:22 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Man this s--t gets out of hand quick. I am playin a game as the Falcons @ Miami and I was containing Ricky williams really well and had even gotten 2 picks and lead 3-0(my offense sucks now that my d has gotten better). All of a sudden the Dolphins lead 14-3 and ricky williams has 11 attempts for 135 yds and 2 TDs.

Damn!

Oh Yeah, there's still 3:52 left in the 2nd quarter.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:28 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

run

off man coverage
spread the dline out
don't blitz lb's
control a dt
keep lb's inside the ends, don't spread them out
non blitzing ss's/fs's help alot with broken tackles

you want to try and penetrate with the dt's, the lb's will fill up the middle hole and they have plenty of space to get to the outside.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:48 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:

RawkerOne said:
run

off man coverage
spread the dline out
don't blitz lb's
control a dt
keep lb's inside the ends, don't spread them out
non blitzing ss's/fs's help alot with broken tackles

you want to try and penetrate with the dt's, the lb's will fill up the middle hole and they have plenty of space to get to the outside.

So you suggest controlling a D-Tackle at least in run defense.What do you mean by offman coverage-are you just talking about man to man??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2003, 01:52 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

What about flat passes to the back? Is there anything to do besides calling a "double flat" zone or manually covering the back?
Old 09-14-2003, 01:59 PM   #23
Pro

Wilk5280's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:

Crazy_Stanley,

I do the same thing with controlling a LB that's in man coverage of a RB/FB. My question for you is if that RB/FB stays in to block is it better to a)make a zone out of the middle of the field or b)go and try to pressure the QB?

That's a tuff call. I kind of judge how the game has been going up to that point. If the offense has been passing well against me I tend to drop back into coverage. If the offense has been having trouble finding success passing I try to put added pressure on the QB.

YOu have to be careful either way though, as sometimes the RB will slide out into the flat after a delayed block, etc.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:23 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

yeah control a defensive tackle, and play deep man coverage, or if you call a zone (zone's better for 2nd down) then shift your db's back so they are about 10 yards off the wides.

screens are a problem if your in man coverage, but mostly if your in man coverage where the cover man is on the opposite side of the line. if its a lb covering him then shift him to the proper side. also by shifting the dline to open you'll have a better chance of blocking those screen passes because your ends get deeper. sometimes if i seen a hb take off into the flats i'll just drop out of my pass rush with an end to cover him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »