Home

I DONT see any problems with the TACKLING engine in this game!

This is a discussion on I DONT see any problems with the TACKLING engine in this game! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2003, 10:10 AM   #57
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: I DON\'T see any problems with the TACKLING engine in this game!

Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

LBzrule said:
Defending the run in your game is quite tactful, but it is quite doable. The run CAN be defended. I think alot of us just need to accept that we will give up some yards.

I was thinking the same thing earlier. Its something about giving up rushing yards that damages the ego for some reason.

I mean think about it. For years we were used to holding either the cpu or our friends to -2 yds rushing or 14 rushing yards on 17 carries ect. And we were stoked because we thought ohh yeah I am a great run D coach. But what we were really doing was taking advantage of another games bad Offensive line A.I blocking. If you stacked the line in those games and even now in those games, the offensive linemen don't adjust to pick guys up which is the reason for stuffing the run. Well in ESPN the offensive line is smart. They make adjustments to pick up the blitzers versus the run. All the RB has to do is get passed the blitz and he is one on one with a saftey or CB and that's a match you will ALMOST ALWAYS LOSE.

sometimes you just gotta stretch the runner out as far as possilbe. The sideline is your firend folks. Once you get close to the runner on a toss slow down a bit hit the strafe and then hit the tackle button. If you go running full speed, then you will overpursue him. Most of the time the reason why the tackle is shed is because people are overpursuing, turning around and hitting. Not only that, the ratings are NOT black and white either. There is a formula for how the ratings work. It's not just hmm 99 tackle rating vs 86 break tackle. I can't tell you how that works, it is confidential, but understand the ratings are not black and white and just because you see a guy with a 99 tackle rating getting his tackle shed by someone with an 86 break tackle don't fuss. How the ratings work is not black and white.

Old 10-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 4

Stopping the run isn't really a problem. That can be solved mostly with playcalling.

I would imagine the Tackle and Break Tackle ratings represent a kind of controlled randomness that the game engine uses to decide whether or not the tackle is broken. The Consistancy rating might come into play in the control equation as well. So, even if defender has a high Tackle rating, he still might only make a small percentage of his open field tackles if his consistency is low. These considerations must be paid attenion to when playing the game.

However, having watched players with high ratings in all categories repeatedly come up short with the tackle, that would seem to indicate that the randomness in their equations in not as random as it needs to be.

Tackling a runner head on usually results in a high success rate, but trying to tackle from the side does not. Wrap up tackles from the side are usually the most broken in the game. Depending on a player's ratings this might be realistic, but again, when a player's ratings are high all around and they consistantly cannot wrap up a runner, that indicates there is a problem.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:00 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I am now a part of the school that doesn't see a problem with the running game.

My problem now is that teams will become pass crazy and torch me but I can handle that as well.

I have a problem guys.

I am in love with a videogame.

noooooooooo!!!!
Old 10-04-2003, 07:59 PM   #60
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

NoleFan said:
I have a problem guys.

Everybody say "Hi Nolefan!"
Old 10-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #61
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

NoleFan said:
I have a problem guys.

Everybody say "Hi Nolefan!"

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2003, 10:33 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Quote:

LBzrule said:
Not only that, the ratings are NOT black and white either. There is a formula for how the ratings work. It's not just hmm 99 tackle rating vs 86 break tackle. I can't tell you how that works, it is confidential, but understand the ratings are not black and white

Ever since I saw this posted I have been thinking about it. Do you know something that we don't LBz?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »