Home

Totally unrealistic!!!!

This is a discussion on Totally unrealistic!!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2003, 07:26 PM   #17
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Totally unrealistic!!!!

Quote:

LBzrule said:
Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

LBzrule said:
The only reason that happened is because Zach was out of position. He overran the play.

Great...now the NFL has bad pursuit angles as well!! This game sucks.

Some people in the NFL DO take bad pursuit angles, just like guys do in ESPN. But in ESPN it occurs alot more often than it does in the NFL. Hell even the bad defenses in the nfl have guys taht get penetration and flow down the line and use the 12th man, i.e., sideline to their advantage, when possible. THe game is great, but to act like 1 instance proves that the game is on point is non sense. We can point to several other occassions and see otherwise. Do running backs run over linebackers in the NFL? Sometimes. Do they run over linebackers in ESPN? Sometimes, and more often than they should. There are just some defenders that SCARE anyone. Unfortunately NO football video game can replicate that. But they make sure they get the offensive guys right. They make sure that Moss, Harrison, Owens ect are a pain to deal with. Every game out there makes sure of that. They make sure that Ricky Williams, LT, Holmes, Portis, ect are a problem. But when it comes to defense, well..... I challenge any developer out there to make people actually afraid of the top 10 NFL defenders by making them play like they actually would play. When the cpu team is controlling them, they do pretty good, but if you are on that team and you are not controlling him, he will do absolutely nothing. Doesn't matter the game. IT makes NO sense that when I play madden if I don't control Lewis, he will only have about 3 tackles. It makes no sense that when I play ESPN, if I don't control Lewis he will barely get 3 tackles. It makes no sense when I play FEVER, that if I don't control Lewis when I go and look at the stat sheet, he doesn't have that big of an impact on the game at all. Look if any of you developers are reading this. Linebackers are big time players. I realize it is fun when I control them and get them to do what they are supposed to do, but it should not require that. I hate seeing my other LB teammates doing some stuff that just aint right techniqe wise. Get these guys to respond and play like they should. Make them mean and nasty. And I want harder hits primarly from them. I challenge any developer to do it. In madden they make sure they got the passing game and franchise right. In ESPN they make sure they got the running game, passing game and defensive line pass rush right, in FEVER they got read n lead passing and the DB A.I right. Where is the focus on LB's???? These guys should hit so hard that when you see them coming, you should try to avoid some of them instead of taking them on.

Lbz, No need for the excellent essays. I read your previous 2 posts and I agree man.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:58 PM   #18
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Tell em why you mad, son.

BTW, to the one that said you should be able to help out if you dive when close and/or charged, you can help in that situation just like you can get a solo tackle in that situation but from too far away you get nothing just like you get a broken tackle in a solo tackle situation.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:48 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

I have to agree that the pursuit angles stink, there are too many broken tackles by some players and what's with this running at angles, it's right out of the ATARI age and looks lousey. All that said, I am getting more low scoring defensive struggle games than I ever got playing Madden. Sustaining a drive is difficult for both me and the CPU (unlike Madden) and turnovers are critical to breaking open most games. I love to use the replay camera to catch the realistic line play. Except for the funky running movement it almost looks real.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:13 AM   #20
Pro

OVR: 13

LBzrule:

I totally agree with you on the Linebacker issue. It's time for players to take on their true to life personalities. This will force offenses to really game plan against certain teams (ex. Ravens). However, we must be careful what we wish for. I hear guys wanting to see helmets fly off and guys get 'jacked up'. This can easily be misconstrued by VC. The next thing we'll see is every hit being 'OVER THE TOP'.

The one thing that VC needs to keep in mind is that we are not asking for BLITZ-type hits. If my linebacker has a clear shot at a receiver who's running a slant and I'm timing my hit at the same instant that the ball gets there, two things should happen: 1. the WR get anhilated and 2. he should NOT make the catch!

Too often, receivers are making catches while I'm laying the smackdown. This is a direct result of last year's complaints (too many drops). With regards to hits, all we're asking for is the occasional instances where I'm yelling out loud 'THERE'S SOME HITTIN' GOIN' ON UP IN HERE!'

Give Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher that on the field persona where they're flying to the ball. These guys are relentless. When you see them coming up on your schedule, you just say, 'damn.'

Also, defenders should not run away from the sidelines as if they were going to get electrocuted. They should be aggresively trying to tackle the running back or push him out of bounds.

Just my $.02.

BigBlue
Old 11-04-2003, 08:36 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Yeah, we don't want them to go blitz style, but at the same time, the charge tackle should be much harder than what it is. I think they should take all the current tackles and put them under simple speed burst tackles and capture a new set of animations for charge tackles. Charge tackles should look like they hurt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2003, 08:36 AM   #22
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:

BigBlue said:
I hear guys wanting to see helmets fly off and guys get 'jacked up'. This can easily be misconstrued by VC. The next thing we'll see is every hit being 'OVER THE TOP'.

The one thing that VC needs to keep in mind is that we are not asking for BLITZ-type hits. If my linebacker has a clear shot at a receiver who's running a slant and I'm timing my hit at the same instant that the ball gets there, two things should happen: 1. the WR get anhilated and 2. he should NOT make the catch

I agree. Wrs/tes cominmg over the middle should indeed get 'Jacked Up' like Todd heap did by Al Wilson!!

Helmets don't need to fly off all the time ...and they don't have to come off from big hits all the time either ( i.e. Warren Sapp last week with the sack on Carter) But VC should definitely have this in the game next year as it certainly happens in real life. I don't think every hit should be 'OVER THE TOP' but there does need to be some higher impact hits in the game charged and uncharged.

BTW, where were you when I made the 'Jacked Up' thread?

Anyway, good post.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:43 PM   #23
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Don't mean to turn into a wishlist thread but every thread kanobi has a big presence is turns into one anyway, right?

BTW, Obi, Heap didn't drop the ball! That's a great example though. The WRs shouldn't make all of those one handed catches, some should trickle off their fingers. And in ESPNBA if you're under the basket when someone's about to throw a big one down they show the player dunking. They should have a similar graphic for the WRs that don't like going across the middle. They cringe when a MLB is approaching for a big hit. But back to the Heap catch, they need to have more balls come out when players hit the ground. Most reviewed calls come from fumbles or plays that may not be fumbles but look like them or are called a fumble. Some WRs should be hit and have the ball come out when their back hits the ground. Then no matter what the refs call we may want to review it. Also when a RB gets hit and is going down, they need more balls pop out just before and just after the knee goes down. Right now 95% fo the challenges are on ball spot errors which is usually about .1% of challenges in the NFL.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:35 PM   #24
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:

wwharton said:
Right now 95% fo the challenges are on ball spot errors which is usually about .1% of challenges in the NFL.

This is exactly VC needs to add a Chain gang and give us the option to call for a measurement. I hate how nowadays the football games have gone kinda arcadish when it comes to first downs...flashing that "FIRST DOWN!" on the screen. I'd like the option to turn the first down line off (is that option in there? I haven't seen it). Coaches and players can't see the first down line on the field...they just have to know where the Marker is.

Either way it sucks how you HAVE to challenge a spot Instead of being able to call for a measurement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »