Home

Totally unrealistic!!!!

This is a discussion on Totally unrealistic!!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2003, 09:07 AM   #1
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
Totally unrealistic!!!!

Edgerin James ran over Zach Thomas at the goaline yesterday for a touchdown in the Fins/Colts Game!!!

This is a gamekiller for me. Anybody know if the NFL is gonna release a patch to fix this??

If not then I think I'm gonna trade in the NFL for the NBA!!

Hopefully the NFL fixes the broken tackles next season.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2003, 09:21 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Totally unrealistic!!!!

Hehe

Tell you what, the highlight of Mike Alstott running over/breaking like 7-8 tackles in a 4-yard TD run a couple years ago is burned into my memory. I can only imagine if someone did that in a videogame, they'd ask for the developers' heads.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:21 AM   #3
MVP

Just wondering if you "upped" the Tackling slider for CPU?
Old 11-03-2003, 09:26 AM   #4
Banned

I think Zach Thomas needs to charge up there otherwise no momentum WOULD knock him down, especially when James both charges up and uses the shoulder charge.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:56 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

The only reason that happened is because Zach was out of position. He overran the play. Otherwise my money is on Thomas stacking Edge up and getting help from pursuing defenders. Instances like what happened to Thomas do happen in real football, but not often. And as I have said 1,000 times before, I think the thing that pisses most people off in ESPN is the pursuit angles, dipping at the sideline instead of using the sideline to push the runner out of bounds, and of course, 10.2 per carry LOL. This last one can be dealt with by mixing things up in the playcalling and people getting out of the habit of running all blitz on every play. Albeit, if you have a 8 to 9 man front, RB's should have trouble running like Ricky Williams did yesterday, like Eddie George does every sunday, that is, Unless you have a kick *** run blocking offensive line. I would like to see defenses take on more personality. For instance, when Playing Tampa, it should be almost impossible for me to run outside, should be too much speed and great pursuit. But if I run Iso's, Dives, Cutbacks and some Trap plays I should find some success. Against Jacksonville Iso's, Dives should be much harder because of the beef in the middle with Stroud and Henderson. Tosses, Counters and Sweeps should be a better gameplan. Overall, I love the game, but I think defenders need to move much faster, especially the linebackers. A bit too slow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2003, 01:07 PM   #6
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Saying Zach overpursued is more support for Kanobi than anything really. I think the problems many have come from overpursuit, weak tackle attempts or diving too early which, in this case, is what happened to Zach...perfect example of what happens if you do that.

With that said, I agree with you on the pursuit angles and speed (more like acceleration) of the LBs. I was watching a double reverse yesterday (Santana Moss I believe) and the reason it worked is b/c the LB pounced on the outside right at the snap, reading the Oline movement. He was on the outside of the RB before the RB even got the ball. You don't see that in the game. That's the problem. The MLB should be already moving outside on tosses and sweeps and the weaker ones should be biting the wrong way on counters, etc.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:00 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:

wwharton said:
Saying Zach overpursued is more support for Kanobi than anything really. I think the problems many have come from overpursuit, weak tackle attempts or diving too early which, in this case, is what happened to Zach...perfect example of what happens if you do that.

With that said, I agree with you on the pursuit angles and speed (more like acceleration) of the LBs. I was watching a double reverse yesterday (Santana Moss I believe) and the reason it worked is b/c the LB pounced on the outside right at the snap, reading the Oline movement. He was on the outside of the RB before the RB even got the ball. You don't see that in the game. That's the problem. The MLB should be already moving outside on tosses and sweeps and the weaker ones should be biting the wrong way on counters, etc.

Yeah, I know it supports kanobi to an extent. But the real issue to me as you pointed out is a pursuit issue, although I would like some harder tackles by certain defenders, i.e., Linebackers and Safety's. When it is toss the MLB has to get outside, he cannot 1) run to the Center and get blocked, or 2) Strafe slowly while the RB is heading to the corner to turn it up. I really don't have that much of a problem with the tackling, I just want some bigger hits, especially when I am trying to unload on someone. On another note, They have some bad *** pancake blocks in this game already. I saw one the other day and replayed it at least 30 times and just kept saying DAMN! One thing though, it was on a little CB and the way he got hit, I dunno, he shouldn't have gotten up that fast. Jason Fabini for the Jets was pulling on a counter trap and he took out some little CB and man I was like HOLY @#%$. He F'ed that kid up (I want to be able to say this next year with some hits from defenders). But the dude just popped back up real fast.

Ohh and one more thing, your A.I teammates need to learn how to gang tackle. They always fall off like they hit a brick wall, and if the guy gets away from the first initial tackler then he's going to pick up a huge chunk because your teammate doesn't know how to gang tackle.

Old 11-03-2003, 03:16 PM   #8
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Man this could be another thread all by itself but yes I agree. I'd like the injuries to be more tied into that stuff too. Injuries don't need to be random at all. QBs hit from the blindside to get concussions, a DL jumping and him just getting the ball off can result in a broken hand or wrist and of course on sacks. Other players get injured on specific contact like fumbles work, and pulled groins and such when players try to push the player too hard running down the field or juking. That CB you're talking about probably should've been carted off. I also would like to see some O linemen laying on players they take down like they would in a real game.

Personally I stay out of the harder hit discussion b/c from what I see the hits on the ball carrier seem tobe just fine. Maybe a few harder hits on Wrs catching a ball but that's it. I will say that the CPU controlled players need to hop in gang tackles more though, at least on the lower levels. Many complain that once a tackle animation starts you can't join in but that's b/c they're trying to dive and diving will make you miss. If you just run up and jump in you'll help bring the guy down and stop those extra couple of yards, but the CPU teammates never do jump in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »