Home

NFL 2K5: A Present-Day Take On An All-Time Classic

This is a discussion on NFL 2K5: A Present-Day Take On An All-Time Classic within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 7
I love 2K, I truly do, but 2-3 NFL 2K articles in a week is overkill at this point. At some point we have to let this family member rest peacefully.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: NFL 2K5: A Present-Day Take On An All-Time Classic

It's the 10 year anniversary of it's release, I don't understand the issue. If we want to wax poetic about a game that we loved, so be it. This imaginary madden/2k war is bordering on ridiculous I think most of the mature posters on this board can handle the discussion, I'll leave the mods to handle the rest.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #67
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
It's the 10 year anniversary of it's release, I don't understand the issue. If we want to wax poetic about a game that we loved, so be it. This imaginary madden/2k war is bordering on ridiculous I think most of the mature posters on this board can handle the discussion, I'll leave the mods to handle the rest.
So true. How can there be a war between a 10 year old game and a game that is released annually? This "War" is as much about the failures of Madden as it is about the greatness of NFL2K5. These 2 components keeps this imaginary war rolling. And right now, imo, Madden is STILL getting its clock cleaned.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 5
Chris, awesome recap. One thing you mentioned was whether or not using actors as commentators would be panned today ... I personally wouldn't. I'd love it if EA would ditch their ESPN-focused presentation (mostly coming from an NCAA perspective here) and create EASN-type branding again. Mainly because that would allow them to go in a different direction and be creative on their own terms rather than try to replicate real life. I don't think gamers care if the game looks exactly like real life -- unless that's what the game is trying to do.

The big advantage I see towards using actors -- well, actually, to me the big advantage would be if they were able to use in-house personnel, either by employing local personalities or finding that one of their employees has a radio gene. Because this would allow, in my opinion, for a lot more time to be devoted to recording commentary. They wouldn't have to arrange a schedule with a person or their agent and fly them to Orlando, or set up shop in some hotel somewhere.

The downside would be that you'd have to have a much better script, and couldn't let someone like Rece Davis just be himself, which would be a comparative loss. But I still enjoy the commentary in APF 2k8 today, so, I think it holds up just fine.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #69

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I think all posters on OS, writers or members, should be greeted with a "will this fuel the 2k/madden war" warning before hitting the post button.
We did it once but scrapped it when we found out the answer was always yes.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #70
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealHST
I love 2K, I truly do, but 2-3 NFL 2K articles in a week is overkill at this point. At some point we have to let this family member rest peacefully.
It's a product.....not a person.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 2
One of the things I feel go unnoticed about 2k5 is their challenge system. Only 2k gave people the option to challenge what they wanted to challenge...where as madden never gave you an option to challenge anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #72

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty3
One of the things I feel go unnoticed about 2k5 is their challenge system. Only 2k gave people the option to challenge what they wanted to challenge...where as madden never gave you an option to challenge anything.
And it's one of the few things they did incorrectly.

When a play is challenged the entire play is reviewable. Still don't understand why this isn't understood.

You hear announcers saying what they think the coach is challenging but it's irrelevant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »