Home

Is The PS2 Version Of ESPN 2K5 Going To Use The 2K4 Engine?

This is a discussion on Is The PS2 Version Of ESPN 2K5 Going To Use The 2K4 Engine? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2004, 01:44 PM   #9
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Is The PS2 Version Of ESPN 2K5 Going To Use The 2K4 Engine?

Graphics are an integral part of gameplay. Whether you want to believe it or not, having better graphics obviously means a better overall experience in respect to two otherwise equal versions (As in this case). This doesn't mean graphics are king, it just means when you have two versions of the same game, only one has better graphics, you have to wonder what you're missing out on even if you don't particularly care. I mean, you can't dislike better graphics of the same game, you can only really prioritise the features and hope that not getting the same bang for you buck doesn't bother you.

The only factor is probably the control pad, which the Sony leads IMO (I don't care for analog trigger buttons acting as normal buttons - have you ever tried to pump fake with L on an Xbox? I can't do it). Hopefully the visuals aren't the only real improvement for 2K5, and the PS2 version has a valid chance to improve on 2K4, although I'm sure users of both consoles will be satisfied.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:53 PM   #10
All Star

OVR: 21

Is there a PS2-style controller available for the XBox, and can buttons be mapped to reflect those of the controller?

I think I'm going to buy an XBox (not just for ESPN 2K5), but I prefer the functionality of the PS2's controller. The controller-S is decent, but not big on having to use full trigger buttons; nor the little black/white buttons. But having that hard drive and extra processing power is a big plus.

On a side note, I know Ubisoft has been able to port games like Splinter Cell to the PS2 and the graphical drop-off wasn't extremely noticeable, so it's possible to do.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:03 PM   #11
Pro

Erratic's Arena

OVR: 6

I dont want to start a war or anything but if the reason you are buying an xbox is simply for better graphics than that is foolish imo. You could spend the money on a better video card for your comp and play games with better graphics than any systems.

There are reasons to buy an xbox (although no reason is good enough to convince myself to purchase one) but simply becasue it has better graphics shouldn't be one imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2004, 02:18 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 21

I want Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden, maybe the new Star Wars KOTR or Doom 3. As well as the improved graphics it'd provide for ESPN 2K5 - long as I can get a controller that provides the functionality of the dual shock.

But it's not just the improved graphics. I think it'd be really cool to be able to see full highlights of games, not have to worry about purchasing multiple memory cards and have better sound. If I were to purchase the PS2 hard drive, that's $100 right there. May as well spend $50 more for an actual game machine that happens to be more powerful.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #13
Pro

Erratic's Arena

Like i said there are reason to purhcase an xbox, but better graphics should not be a reason since computer graphics can simply be better.

When i baught a Ps2 it was becasue it had alot of games that i enjoyed that would not be available on PC.

With xbox i dont feel that there are enough xbox exclusive games that i will enjoy enough to warrent me purchasing xbox. Halo for example is available on PC. Halo 2 is not, but i would never play a shooter with anything except a mouse and keyboard. Adding to that the fact Xbox live is an annual fee where ps2 online and computer games online (excpet mmo's) are free.

But sticking to the point of graphics. A persons reason for purchasing a system like xbox or ps2, even game cube shouldn't be graphics due to a good computers superior gaming graphics. It should boil down to exclusive games imo.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #14
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

spankdatazz22 said:
Is there a PS2-style controller available for the XBox, and can buttons be mapped to reflect those of the controller?

I think I'm going to buy an XBox (not just for ESPN 2K5), but I prefer the functionality of the PS2's controller. The controller-S is decent, but not big on having to use full trigger buttons; nor the little black/white buttons. But having that hard drive and extra processing power is a big plus.

On a side note, I know Ubisoft has been able to port games like Splinter Cell to the PS2 and the graphical drop-off wasn't extremely noticeable, so it's possible to do.

If you play splinter cell on the xbox (on which is was meant to be played) and the ps2, there's a hige difference. The lighting and everything else can't be done correctly on ps2.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:41 PM   #15
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

Erratic said:
I dont want to start a war or anything but if the reason you are buying an xbox is simply for better graphics than that is foolish imo. You could spend the money on a better video card for your comp and play games with better graphics than any systems.

There are reasons to buy an xbox (although no reason is good enough to convince myself to purchase one) but simply becasue it has better graphics shouldn't be one imo.

For pc games you have to constantly upgrade stuff and your system might not be able to handle the game. And there really aren't that many good games on a pc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2004, 03:53 PM   #16
Pro

Erratic's Arena

Quote:

jmood88 said:
Quote:

Erratic said:

For pc games you have to constantly upgrade stuff and your system might not be able to handle the game. And there really aren't that many good games on a pc.

Sorry thats not correct. If you have a good gaming computer you will not upgrade anything sgnificant for years. 1gig of ram, not need to upgrade for years 3+ proccesor, same deal, top of the line video card with current drivers will only need to be upgraded very rarley. If you have a gaming computer you are set for a very very long time.

As for you simply false statment about not many good PC games, you realize that games like Madden, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, Splinter Cell, Half Life 2, Doom 3 all come out on PC and will have better graphics than an xbox ps2 or gamecube. If you buy a console for the graphics you are waisting your money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »