Home

Who is best for VC, Sega or Take-Two???

This is a discussion on Who is best for VC, Sega or Take-Two??? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Who is best for VC, Sega or Take-Two???

I'm not taking anything from Sega, but since everything that has happened since Take-Two joined, I think it's obvious Take-Two is better.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:38 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:

tmac2k3 said:

On a side note, I think Sega is a creative company. They're more like Nintendo than anyone else. They come out with weird and whacky games and love to go against the grain. And like Nintendo, they seem to recognize that sports games can make them money but they just don't want to put much into it. Anybody remember the hype around virtual tennis when it came out...I couldn't even get a copy the first day. And Sega has gone absolutely nowhere with that franchise. And while everyone is sure to bring up Joe Montana football and World Series Baseball, Sega has never showed an EA-like commitment to sports gaming. I'm actually surprised this 2K think is still going. I think they can find a way to exist and strive without a sports division that's supposedly their weakest link anyway. Im actually rooting for VC going elsewhere with their sports games.

I totally agree with you on how Sega is creative and imaginative...
Old 06-27-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 2

vc has been putting out great products for years under segas wing , I have no complaints with what sega has done so far including going out bring in take-two
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2004, 09:06 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:

sega has gone on record and blamed visual concepts for some of the finacial and dismal sales of their games. which i can't understand how one development team makes only sports games and gets blamed for something they did not do. everyone knows that sega is using vc as a scape goat which is pitiful

Sega didn't blame VC for anything. In their financial reports they said that Sega Sports games have underperformed which is absolutely true. Since VC has their own marketing division(financed by Sega),some of the blame does lie with them,which is precisely why Take Two is involved now,in addition to the fact that they have a great distribution network.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:31 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Imagine EA having financial problems and then saying that it's because of EA Sports. That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I just don't see how a game that gets 1 or 2 decent commercials and print ads "underperforms." If Sega finances VC's marketing efforts, apparently they're not throwing enough money into it. Perhaps, this is why VC is always talking about being creative with their marketing schemes. They don't have much raw cash to spend so they have to turn to viral marketing and similar marketing ploys. If something like Beta-7 is supposed to sell your game, seems like you're product is in big trouble, and catching up to Madden is just never going to happen...The quality of the game and the quality of the marketing just isn't on the same page. And since the franchise is being labeled as Sega Sports, I think Sega has a certain responsibility to make sure the game is marketed appropriately.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:18 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:

Imagine EA having financial problems and then saying that it's because of EA Sports. That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I just don't see how a game that gets 1 or 2 decent commercials and print ads "underperforms."

It underperforms by selling below expectations. That's a fact and they have to report it in their financial report just as EA has to report that The Sims Online selling below expectations directly affects earnings in a negative way.

Quote:

Perhaps, this is why VC is always talking about being creative with their marketing schemes. They don't have much raw cash to spend so they have to turn to viral marketing and similar marketing ploys.

There's more to marketing than just spending money. That being said,VC has spent plenty of money on marketing,hence the reason it's so dissapointing that the titles haven't outsold Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2.

Quote:

And since the franchise is being labeled as Sega Sports, I think Sega has a certain responsibility to make sure the game is marketed appropriately.

The franchise is now labeled as ESPN Videogames,not Sega Sports. Despite that,Sega does have a responsibility to make sure the game is marketed correctly,which is precisely why Take Two is involved now.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:41 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 5

I find it ironic that certain people are on this board, saying how SEGA is at fault for their games underperforming. Why are you here if you don't like SEGA's sports games. Honestly, if you have the time to visit boards for games that you don't like anymore, you don't have a job or a life. I am here on this board because I personally like SEGA's games and think they've done a good job, I don't have time to go to boards of videogames I don't like, or used to like but don't produce games I don't care for. It seems that if you want to hate on a game or company, take it to a board where your views are welcome. It's like being a sheep and going into a pen full of wolves, whaddya expect, were going to agree with you? Were gonna say, "yeah we don't like sega's sports games, they need to give up visual concepts, their bread and butter?" Get outta here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2004, 01:17 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:

rbruns said:
I find it ironic that certain people are on this board, saying how SEGA is at fault for their games underperforming. Why are you here if you don't like SEGA's sports games. Honestly, if you have the time to visit boards for games that you don't like anymore, you don't have a job or a life. I am here on this board because I personally like SEGA's games and think they've done a good job, I don't have time to go to boards of videogames I don't like, or used to like but don't produce games I don't care for. It seems that if you want to hate on a game or company, take it to a board where your views are welcome. It's like being a sheep and going into a pen full of wolves, whaddya expect, were going to agree with you? Were gonna say, "yeah we don't like sega's sports games, they need to give up visual concepts, their bread and butter?" Get outta here.

People being on this board and people thinking it was Sega's fault for their games under performing dont have anything to do with each other. I liked the Sega Sartun, but think Sega did a horrible job marketing it. I have been a sega fan since I could remember, but they have made mistakes. I dont think people are showing a hatred, just expressing their opinions. If we cant do that here, where can we??

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »