Home

Tips for people new to the NFL 2K series.

This is a discussion on Tips for people new to the NFL 2K series. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2004, 12:02 AM   #9
Rookie

BuckeyeBoyd's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Tips for people new to the NFL 2K series.

Like the idea of the thread. Like jpup,last time I tried 2k was at least 2 versions ago. I thought it was junk then. But after seeing and reading about 2k5,I went and rented 2k4. Holy crap! I should have been playing this LAST year. Very nice. I quit playing Madden early on last year. I turned a stubborn,blind eye to this game because of previous experience with it. And from years of playing Madden;which I thought couldn't be beat.

If they've improved on the 2k4 version I'm "experimenting" with right now.And all signs indicate so far that it's true. I've no doubt there is a new sherriff in town.

So any tips and strategies in the thread are apreciated.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:03 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

Shamrock_11 said:
There are a lot of new people who will be playing ESPN this year, and I've heard the stories of Madden players who've picked up ESPN and put it down after only a few minutes. ESPN plays a lot differently than ESPN, and it would be cool to give these people some helpful tips about playing ESPN.

The biggest tip I can offer is about the playcalling. Every play has a number which indicates how far the QB will drop back. Like 90 TE Cross. Which means that the QB will drop back 3 steps. A 90 indicates a 3 step drop, a 50 indicates a 5 Step drop and an RO indicates Roll Out. The QB drop also indicates when the recievers will be looking for the ball. IMO, it's best to allow the QB to drop back by himself while I read the defense. After the QB drops back the distance indicated by the play then I know the recievers are looking for the ball to be delivered. Anyone have anymore tips for new players?

Great post. If I may add:

Another difference is do not rely on the computer AI to make the plays for you. On defense you will need to position players before the snap, and take control of the nearst defender to the ball. This does take some practice. When on ofense it would help alot if you learn how to control your receiver prior to them catching the ball. This will help in tight situation against a good defense. My last suggestion is learn how to use maximum passing. Every time you drop that perfect pass in on a top rated defense it will send shivers down your spine.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:12 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

in the past years i have always bought madden. although i played a little bit of 2k4, this will be my first year buying espn. a huge annoyance i had with madden was the blocking. its just horrible. i hate playing against my friends because they constantly drop back an insane amount of yards with a pocket QB. the other day he dropped back just over 25 yards with jay fiedler! and made the completion. from the little espn i played, it seemed as that is not possible in espn. if you used to dropping back like crazy, be prepared for a lot of sacks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
Pro

Shamrock_11's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

PrimeZoan said:
in the past years i have always bought madden. although i played a little bit of 2k4, this will be my first year buying espn. a huge annoyance i had with madden was the blocking. its just horrible. i hate playing against my friends because they constantly drop back an insane amount of yards with a pocket QB. the other day he dropped back just over 25 yards with jay fiedler! and made the completion. from the little espn i played, it seemed as that is not possible in espn. if you used to dropping back like crazy, be prepared for a lot of sacks.

Blocking is another good tip. Don't be afraid to follow your blockers and linemen. Your running back won't just bounce off of them and pinball around the way they do in Madden, he will stick his hand out onto their back and then you can choose which way to run from there. The RB's also have a move where they turn their shoulders sideways and squeeze through cracks you might not think they can get through. Don't be afraid to run up the gut.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:56 PM   #13
Banned

LOL, Blocking still isn't fixed in NCAA, but oh well. Yeah, you can actually follow your blockers in ESPN and they actually will do their job, unlike in Madden/NCAA when your guys just fly right by your would be tackler
Old 07-19-2004, 08:55 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:

PrimeZoan said:
if you used to dropping back like crazy, be prepared for a lot of sacks.

/

YES!!

This was the biggest change for me. You actually have to use the pocket.

Can't wait!
Old 07-19-2004, 09:12 PM   #15
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:

BuckeyeBoyd said:
Like jpup,last time I tried 2k was at least 2 versions ago. I thought it was junk then. But after seeing and reading about 2k5,I went and rented 2k4. Holy crap! I should have been playing this LAST year.

I think that's true for a lot of people, myself included. I gave up after 2K1 and didn't give it another chance until I bought 2K3 used. Many Madden players gave it a chance in the past but weren't happy and just stuck with Madden. Previous bugs and problems in the series don't just hurt one year they hurt future sales as well. I think that's one reason 2K4 didn't sell overly well because 2K3 had so many annoying mistakes.

The biggest changes I noticed between the two games when I switched was the speed of the game particularly when running the ball. Running was so much more different. Defensive play calling took awhile to get used to as well as you had to call line stunts as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #16
Banned

Hey guys, here is a website that explains ESPN for new players...

07/19/2004 - 11 Things For New, First-Time ESPN Players To Keep In Mind

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »