Home

Quantum Theory and ESPN Football 2K5

This is a discussion on Quantum Theory and ESPN Football 2K5 within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2004, 02:46 PM   #41
H*rt M*n! L*c*l S*p*rh*r*

bryan_05's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Quantum Theory and ESPN Football 2K5

Quote:

mgoblue said:
Quote:

bryan_05 said:
Um, let's see..

Trades are often made when trying to resign a player. Try playing OOTP and resigning a guy after he is pissed! Maybe VC programmed that in there. Maybe not.

*ralph wiggum voice*
I play games for fun

my cat's breath smells like cat food

This thread just took a turn for the better
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2004, 02:56 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 13

I forget who said it and the exact quote, but it went something like this;

Reality is the unexpected
Old 07-23-2004, 02:57 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 8

That was a very good post by Magicuser, and it's a philosophy I myself have adopted after years of searching for the mythical "ultimate realism" in an unrealistic medium. Seriously, there are people out there like videogame Ponce de Leons, searching for something that doesn't exist.

Having said that, though, when you model a game after something that happens in real life, you expect it to somewhat resemble real life. The timing and type of trades in ESPN 2k5 don't really make sense, in the real world or the game world. I saw a lot of blockbuster deals in ESPN Baseball this year, trades which would have never happened in real life, but they made sense in the game: teams were clearly trying to accomplish something like strengthening a position, cutting salary, etc.

So while I subscribe to the idea that videogame universe can be very different from the real world (and still be very enjoyable), I don't want to let Sega off the hook here either. This trade logic isn't just eccentric, it seems pretty flawed. We should make a bit of a ruckus so that it at least gets addressed next year. In the meantime, I will enjoy the excellent on-the-field action and figure out if I want to play in Bizarro NFL or the No-trade Footaball League.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:58 PM   #44
H*rt M*n! L*c*l S*p*rh*r*

bryan_05's Arena

OVR: 18

You know what would make my daY?

If there were 5 blockbuster trades in the NFL this year all in consecutive weeks.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:59 PM   #45
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

well unexpected is Reality.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #46
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Brando said
Quote:

Having said that, though, when you model a game after something that happens in real life, you expect it to somewhat resemble real life. The timing and type of trades in ESPN 2k5 don't really make sense, in the real world or the game world. I saw a lot of blockbuster deals in ESPN Baseball this year, trades which would have never happened in real life, but they made sense in the game: teams were clearly trying to accomplish something like strengthening a position, cutting salary, etc.

Yeah well how do this make sence, M.Strahan For T.Owens after one PRESEASON GAME, yeah just like I thought no sence at all. The trades in the game are being made just for the heck of it, no logic at all behind them, and thats a no, no in my book.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:12 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

coogrfan said:
This whole thread feels like one of those philosophy courses I took back in college( ). For those of you who agree w/MagicUser's reasoning, you have now officially and quite publicly disqualified yourselves from ever again complaining about "Mario running", 20-yd dropbacks, suction blocking, or anything else in "the other game( )" that you deem "unrealistic"(since after all "realism" is both subjective and, apparently, unattainable). Thank you, MagicUser. You've made the forums a much quieter place...

Good point Coogrfan, reality is both subjective and unattainable (did you read any Berkerly in those philosophy classes? He covered this idea pretty well ). If you remove the "Is It Really Real?" question from the equation you are stuck having to evaluate games based on rather you have a good time playing them or not, which is not the worse thing in the world.

Some people may have fun with a game that has Mario Running, some may not. That is the point. If it bothers you enough you won't play the game because it will not be fun for you. Other people may not notice. Do you think the guys that play online and go for it 4th down every time and do nothing but throw passes to the highest rated WR on the team cares about "mario running" or the fact that the pocket does not form realistically around the QB when he drops back, etc? Are they having a good time anyway?

I mean I am not saying that games don't have flaws, I was just pointing out that, for me, Trade AI in ESPN NFL2K5 is not an issue for the reasons I described.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:29 PM   #48
Rookie

BuckeyeBoyd's Arena

OVR: 3

Gotta remember. The computer GM is looking at needs and ratings. It doesn't know that it's Brett Favre or Strahan or whomever,nor does it care. It's doing what it percieves as best for the team it's running.

I'd like to be able to change the trade deadline to,say,week one.Or have a slider to tweak the frequency to "least frequent" or something to that effect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »